Ten from Smog

Do talk back
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Ten from Smog

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Jul 2018, 18:58

From the list, River Guard and Strayed, but I'd probably choose Teenage Spaceship and Dress Sexy At My Funeral if asked, mainly because I'm only familiar with 'Knock Knock' and 'Dongs...', which is something I should rectify because I really like those two albums.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 22 Jul 2018, 19:16

Prince alone in the studio

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jul 2018, 22:17

He's incredibly dull, all that's wrong with 21st century American indie. This type should be junior professors somewhere talking about Emily Dickinson, not making records.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jul 2018, 23:52

Pansy Puff wrote:
The Modernist wrote:He's incredibly dull, all that's wrong with 21st century American indie. This type should be junior professors somewhere talking about Emily Dickinson, not making records.

Gah, wrong, G. It's beautiful, tender stuff. You stick to your early Spandau Ballet B-sides.

I had 'Smog Smog' - I was still quite tolerant of this kind of stuff in the early 2000s. I quite liked a few tracks from the album ( which you've posted), but it's such a polite, ennervating kind of music that I began to realise I could get nothing from it. All it offers is ironic detachment, and if he can't get excited by his music then why should I?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2018, 08:38

I meant 'Knock Knock'

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Jul 2018, 08:48

He's one of those names that I've been vaguely aware of for a long, long time, but don't think I've ever actually heard anything by. In fact, I think I generally get Bill Callahan confused with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, and listening to a couple of tracks from those presented above, there's definitely a parallel to be drawn. I also might get him confused with Will Oldham, but now I'm just free associating.

I like some of those, "Blood Red Bird", and "Rock Bottom Riser". However, I'm not sure if it would all feel a bit samey. What's the best album to start with to delve deeper?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Yakety Yak”