A Beatles Thread - The Beatles Live

Do talk back
pcqgod

Re: A Beatles Thread - The Beatles Live

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jul 2018, 21:33

I've come to the conclusion after years of listening to official and bootleg video and audio recordings that the Beatles were actually a great live band. I mean they're playing with no monitors, tiny speakers, apparently acting as their own roadies at times, with hordes of teenyboppers doing their damnedest to drown them out, and yet preserved performances document them nailing harmonies and playing tight performances that in some cases surpass the studio versions. Not in every case, of course, but I've only heard one bootleg tape (recorded in Vancouver in '65 I believe) where it was clear that they really didn't care and were just going through the motions. The recordings themselves are another matter. There's always some flaw...some instrument drops out of the mix, someone's mike isn't working, overall crappy sound quality, etc. Anyway, if I could go back in time to see any performance it would be the Budokan shows, which admittedly weren't as tight as could be, but pretty solid overall, with favorites like "Day Tripper" and "If I Needed Someone" in the set.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Jul 2018, 21:52

The 1964 Melbourne concert (Ringo's tour debut after the others had spent a week with Jimmy Nicol) is incredible (it was broadcast on television - and the blistering performance of "You Can't Do That" is preserved on the Anthology DVD). There was a period when I listened to these recordings constantly, and it was a bit of a revelation that...yeah, despite their own emerging fatigue and antipathy towards the act of touring, they kicked a hell of a lot of ass when they were moved to (consider that they were 23, 22 and 21 at the time - a great time in life to wield the combo of seasoned performer/energetic youth onstage).

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 12 Jul 2018, 22:18

toomanyhatz wrote:' OK, but let's also be realistic and admit that they weren't going to attempt "Tomorrow Never Knows" either -

Not so fast, there!

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Jul 2018, 22:24

The Tokyo performances - extensively video'd, of course - are pretty lackluster too, but yeah - when it mattered to them, they could still bring it. The German boot camp wasn't that long previous. And let's face it - it's not like any other UK performers were putting out great live albums. The Kinks and Stones, for example, were basically doing perfunctory copies of studio versions, largely drowned out by screaming kids. That they were able to cut through that at all is pretty impressive.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 Jul 2018, 03:09

Great performance AND sound.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 16 Jul 2018, 12:32

The Swedish TV performance is one of my favourites. The sound is heavy and deadened so the rhythm section is more prominent. The Budokan performance doesn't sound as good but its cool to see 1965 Beatles in that rich colour that only came to UK/US a few years later.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jul 2018, 21:11

Tactful Cactus wrote:The Swedish TV performance is one of my favourites.

I just watched it this weekend and shared it on Facebook. It was great.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 16 Jul 2018, 21:50

bobzilla77 wrote:

And to think...that's the exact moment when their fantasy of going to the big scary United States of America with a number one record became real. I can't watch the footage without considering the sort of "trip" they were on at that very second.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jul 2018, 22:33

Bent Fabric wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

And to think...that's the exact moment when their fantasy of going to the big scary United States of America with a number one record became real. I can't watch the footage without considering the sort of "trip" they were on at that very second.

Every time I've heard them explain that first trip, everything was such a blur, they didn't have time to reflect and comprehend it.

Reminds me of Peter Guralnick's Elvis bio, volume 1. Everything happened in a flash - adding shows, bigger theaters, TV appearances - they didn't have time to breathe. They came, they saw, they conquered.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”