Ruby Tuesday lyrics

Do talk back
Bent Fabric

Re: Ruby Tuesday lyrics

Postby Bent Fabric » 10 Jul 2018, 13:01

ORORORO wrote:I'm glad you agree! I always get the impression he's one of the most respected drummers, but that's probably more to do with his suits and his standing up to Jagger...

There's something in his feel (and touch) that I've always loved but never been able to describe in any useful way - a certain ability to lay back (regardless of actual tempo...I've seen them powering through numbers like "Satisfaction" in concert, and he's utterly immovable even at that clip), and regarding fills and things like that, a real sort of "it's how he tells them" (the two beat tom fill into "Honky Tonk Women" is as good an example as any...unassuming in its way, but...delivered with a certain impact that nearly any other drummer would struggle to muster).

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Jul 2018, 13:53

We just played Ruby Tuesday at a house party a couple weeks ago. It's easy as heck to play on drums, so I played the flute part on a little monophonic keyboard during the verses as well. I couldn't recite the lyrics though, apart from the first line.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Jul 2018, 21:56

I like Melanie's version of it too. She really adds to the original melody. There is a spectacular version of the BCB Rolling stones set too I understand...
You don't like me...do you?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jul 2018, 18:08

ORORORO wrote:I always thought it was 'is life unkind?' !

I always thought it was "ball of twine."
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Jul 2018, 19:23

a life of crime.
uggy poopy doody.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Jul 2018, 20:13

ORORORO wrote:I'm glad you agree! I always get the impression he's one of the most respected drummers, but that's probably more to do with his suits and his standing up to Jagger...

No, it's to do with his drumming.

Let's be honest, it's MOSTLY to do with his drumming on the 60s records. But he remains interesting and unpredictable at least through the end of the 70s.

I always like listening to Shattered, for instance, and trying to figure out the bass drum pattern. It feels like there ISN'T a pattern, that it's kind of random. But it subtly keeps the tension up, it never falls into a repetitive lock groove. The guitars lock in, but the drums don't. A neat trick.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Jul 2018, 20:14

Also, I have known all the lyrics to Ruby Tuesday since I was a six year old child. There's not that many of them.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Jul 2018, 20:22

bobzilla77 wrote:

No, it's to do with his drumming.

Let's be honest, it's MOSTLY to do with his drumming on the 60s records. But he remains interesting and unpredictable at least through the end of the 70s.

I always like listening to Shattered, for instance, and trying to figure out the bass drum pattern. It feels like there ISN'T a pattern, that it's kind of random. But it subtly keeps the tension up, it never falls into a repetitive lock groove. The guitars lock in, but the drums don't. A neat trick.

He’s a monster.

Listen to the drum’s entrance on Start Me Up!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Jul 2018, 21:09

yeah yeah
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Jul 2018, 22:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Listen to the drum’s entrance on Start Me Up!

I almost mentioned that - I do love it. But what makes it special is that it's a mistake.

Return to “Yakety Yak”