Page 3 of 3

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:13
by Still Baron
fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:
fange wrote: Sure, Ashcroft was a dick;

I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.

With that said, and though I like the first Verve material (before “The Verve”, Ashcroft’s self regard pretty obviously outstripped his actual talents by some distance.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:17
by fange
I can't seem to find the thread we had about the early Verve releases; the search function really doesn't work very well. :(

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:34
by BooHooHoo
oh WHAT A SHAME

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:34
by BooHooHoo
anyone care to post that wonderful footage of Ashcroft at HMV with that fella bellowing along?

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:45
by Count Machuki
LeBaron wrote:When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


:D

Baron for Ambassador!

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:55
by Hightea
LeBaron wrote:
fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


thanks this about sums up a few UK artists who us over on the other side of the pond don't get the gripe. But we could throw back a few American artists which work the same way.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 18:03
by sloopjohnc
Count Machuki wrote:
LeBaron wrote:When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


:D

Baron for Ambassador!


And he has a live-in translator.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 18:59
by Still Baron
I’m pretty close to fluent, thanks!
Rhyming slang is a weak point, I admit.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 19:12
by sloopjohnc
LeBaron wrote:I’m pretty close to fluent, thanks!
Rhyming slang is a weak point, I admit.


There's your scouse slang too.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 20:26
by Lord Rother
More respect for The Verve from me.

Great single from a thoroughly decent album and a video that grabs the attention and was rather fresh at the time.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 20:57
by Positive Passion
I haven't read all the thread, but True is really good. Bitter sweet symphony is pretty good too.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 21:53
by Georgios
Ashcroft strikes me as somebody who had a really bad experience with hard drugs but they've somehow managed to convince themselves that it was a profound, almost spiritual experience. His interviews are always a hoot, if only for the incredibly earnest self delusion on display.


..Bitter Sweet Symphony is shit as well

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 22:26
by bobzilla77
Uh, abstain... too close to call.

Both True and BS have that quality of like, I bet a lot of teenage virgins get deep meaning from them. I imagine a girl next door type, wearing an hat, sitting in the back row of the school bus with her walkman headphones on, looking meaningfully out the window, raindrops streaking the window like the tears streaming down her face...

Herman wants to be told he's a good boy for washing behind his ears.

I don't know the Greek one. It might be good.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 22:38
by Snarfyguy
"I'm Into Something Good" is a great Goffin/King song that's tarred by association with Peter Noone.

It's not the song's fault that every right-thinking person has wanted to punch him in the face from time to time.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 23:07
by toomanyhatz
Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:I honestly don't get the aggressive hatred that people around here have for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'. Sure, Ashcroft was a dick; but the song itself is a catchy bit of late-90s pop/rock that was WAY too overplayed but hardly excremental.

It has exactly ONE hook - a stolen one at that - and it's really only a hook because it's driven into the ground, to the point where I for one thought it was "WAY too overplayed" after the first time. Is the singer saying anything worth saying? Not that I can tell. Did you guys who liked it at the time think it was profound or moving or something?


Not only is this pretty much the way I feel, I'm not used to Charlie being this snarky! I think I like it! :D

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 10 Jul 2018, 01:07
by Quaco
ORORORO wrote:The more recent, the more I like it. I mean, Richard Ashcroft is nothing at all but a pair of shades, and his stinking band didn't deserve any kind of success, but there's something groovy going on in that thing.

'True' is OK, might even be good, but the icky sax solo and the stuffed shirt Hadley take it down a few notches.

Demis is fine - where's Quaco?

and the HH effort is just ridiculous, childish chipmunk pop.

Good rundown. The Hermits tune is fantastic -- I've always loved it. It was one of those tunes I'd hear on the radio and wish I could track down, but I never seemed to come across any HH records.

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Posted: 10 Jul 2018, 01:19
by Quaco
LeBaron wrote:
fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.

:D Great stuff Baron!