Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Do talk back
User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34765
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2018, 21:37

Nancy wrote:Here it is. One of the best songs ever written. So iconic it's hard to believe it didn't exist forever.


snifffsnifff.

iconic. for so many reasons.

a fucquin debut album

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6601
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Jul 2018, 21:37

Nancy wrote:Here it is. One of the best songs ever written. So iconic it's hard to believe it didn't exist forever.



And didn't it start out as a time filling jam?



As you say, a song so right that it would seem to have always been there.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:38

I have learnt something tonight - I didn't realise that Al Kooper played mellotron throughout the album

Were others aware?






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8138
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 06 Jul 2018, 21:38

I would imagine Mr. Kooper is on mellotron again here.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6601
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Jul 2018, 21:38

C wrote:I have learnt something tonight - I didn't realise that Al Kooper played mellotron throughout the album

Were others aware?






.



Not at all.
Image

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8138
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 06 Jul 2018, 21:39

C wrote:I have learnt something tonight - I didn't realise that Al Kooper played mellotron throughout the album

Were others aware?






.


I have a distant memory that he played on the album. I might have guessed but didn't know for sure.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8138
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 06 Jul 2018, 21:39

And now.... the original outro guitar jam. And the best of them all.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:39

Nancy wrote:Donnie refused to sing this for years after he took over vocals in the band. He let the audience sing it. They hung one of Ronnie's hats on the mic stand in tribute.


Yes, I remember that

Very moving full of respect





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34765
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2018, 21:40

C wrote:
kath wrote:
C wrote:Mississippi Kid always reminds me of Rory






.


love this comment. there are those times when downhome has nuthin to do with country of origin.


True - great music is great music with no geographical boundaries

One big melting pot





.



yes. i get so tired of people trying to draw map lines and boundaries... it is one big melting pot

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:40

Nancy wrote:I would imagine Mr. Kooper is on mellotron again here.


Yes

The GUITARS!!!!!!!!





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34765
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2018, 21:41

damndamndammmmmmn

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6601
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Jul 2018, 21:41

Nancy wrote:And now.... the original outro guitar jam. And the best of them all.







You tell it like it is.



Rocks like the proverbial mutha.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:41

Nancy wrote:And now.... the original outro guitar jam. And the best of them all.


Yep!



.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8138
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 06 Jul 2018, 21:42

Not a band that will ever feature in a PSL but a related story... when Def Leppard were starting out and auditioning guitarists they had trouble finding the right second guy. Steve Clark came one day to audition, plugged in and proceeded to play Allen Collins' solo in Free Bird absolutely perfectly, note-for-note and full of piss and vinegar. The rest of the band were stunned and offered him the job on the spot.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34765
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2018, 21:42

C wrote:
Nancy wrote:I would imagine Mr. Kooper is on mellotron again here.


Yes

The GUITARS!!!!!!!!





.


it is just so fucquin badass/badarse

there aint enough oooofs to be ooooofed

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34765
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2018, 21:42

Nancy wrote:Not a band that will ever feature in a PSL but a related story... when Def Leppard were starting out and auditioning guitarists they had trouble finding the right second guy. Steve Clark came one day to audition, plugged in and proceeded to play Allen Collins' solo in Free Bird absolutely perfectly, note-for-note and full of piss and vinegar. The rest of the band were stunned and offered him the job on the spot.


i still love this story, though mwhahaha

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:43

Wow!!



.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8138
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 06 Jul 2018, 21:43

And there it is. One of the two or three best debut albums in history.

Thanks to all!
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6601
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Jul 2018, 21:44

Nancy wrote:Not a band that will ever feature in a PSL



It is a remarkably broad church... don't think I've heard a Def Leppard album all the way thru' mind.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49995
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Friday 6th July @ 9pm

Postby C » 06 Jul 2018, 21:45

kath wrote:
Nancy wrote:Not a band that will ever feature in a PSL but a related story... when Def Leppard were starting out and auditioning guitarists they had trouble finding the right second guy. Steve Clark came one day to audition, plugged in and proceeded to play Allen Collins' solo in Free Bird absolutely perfectly, note-for-note and full of piss and vinegar. The rest of the band were stunned and offered him the job on the spot.


i still love this story, though mwhahaha


A lovely story!

[I am happy to do Def Leppard album anytime - a band I am not familiar with]





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x