Guns n Roses

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Guns n Roses

Postby naughty boy » 27 Jun 2018, 14:22

You loved 'em thirty years ago, didn't you?

Time for a reassessment?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Guns n Roses

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 14:38

Better than Billy Joel but not as good as The Replacements
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Jun 2018, 14:42

Yeah, I did actually love them thirty years ago. I remember at school I had a taped copy of Appetite for Destruction which absolutely everyone copied off me when "Sweet Child o' Mine" hit the charts. That album had some proper rock songs, and a helluva lot of swagger about it. Hard rock at the time was increasingly clean and plastic sounding - Def Leppard, van Halen, all that unlistenable shit - and Guns n' Roses brought an energy, solid rock tunes, and a lot of low-down and dirty attitude with it.

Fuck all worth listening to after that, but it's fairly obvious that they stood out from the crowd of US shit-rock and hair-bobbins at the time.

I also had a copy of Rowan Atkinson's stand-up show that everyone nicked off me too. He also went shit shortly after.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 27 Jun 2018, 14:53

Average back on their first album and average now..(Terrible after the first..)...Only good thing about them now is I can do a fairly decent imitation of Axl when prompted, though it shreds my voice afterward...lol..

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Jun 2018, 14:56

First album was great, GNR Lies or whatever was ok, and then crashing disappointment and utter failure. What a disaster.

A bit like Smashing Pumpkins.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 27 Jun 2018, 15:05

I could never stand them, but Master SB saw them at the Download festival in France/Belgium last week and said they were excellent, although, by his own admission, only knew their better known tracks. He did, however, ask whether there has always been tension between Axyl and the rest of the band. He said it was noticeable on stage, and I thought "How astute, Master SB, how astute"

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Jun 2018, 15:28

I hated them 30 years ago. Don't tell me what i thought. All the cute punk rock girls in my highschool suddenly got into GnR and Bon Fucking Jovi for some reason, and I was left broken-hearted in my PIL t-shirt.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Jun 2018, 15:28

LeBaron wrote:First album was great, GNR Lies or whatever was ok, and then crashing disappointment and utter failure. What a disaster.

A certain prominent BCBer that you and I are both friends with was proclaiming the superiority of Use Your Illusion Vol One as their best LP just the other day.

He was about as right as he usually is, so I didn't push the issue.

:D
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 27 Jun 2018, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Jun 2018, 15:30

I loved Appetite at the time. I can't possibly recreate the context of my own reaction to anything that ancient, but...yeah, it really did strike me as an exceptionally satisfying flashpoint of all sorts of things I didn't know I needed (songs, sound, energy, etc.). I hung in there for a long time (I remember bringing the cassette on tours for nearly a good fifteen years afterwards), but...today, I can't muster anything more than a Mona Lisa grade smile for the memories. It's like remembering a great meal of similar vintage - it surely nourished and satisfied me, but...it did its job and there's nothing really for me to gain from it in the present day. Some things wear off - I don't think there's anything horrible about that. Even impermanent value is still value.

Mind you, that was it. Everything afterwards was little more than (and often a great deal less than) a half-assed encore I hadn't asked for.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Jun 2018, 15:37

I would probably be in the same boat as Mr. Fabric had I carried on flogging Appetite for 15 years. As it stands, I can still feel some enthusiasm.

Matt Wilson wrote:
LeBaron wrote:First album was great, GNR Lies or whatever was ok, and then crashing disappointment and utter failure. What a disaster.

A certain prominent BCBer that you and I are both friends with was proclaiming the superiority of Use Your Illusion Vol One as their best LP just the other day.

He was about as right as he usually is, so I didn't push the issue.

:D

The certain prominent BCBer is wrong. It is a disaster. Their hubris outpaced their actual capabilities.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 27 Jun 2018, 15:43

If you've got a spare $1000 kicking about...and 18 minutes

Give a shit or be a shit.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Jun 2018, 15:51

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Jun 2018, 15:52

No and no.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 15:53

Never a fan.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Jun 2018, 15:55

Could never stand Axl or Slash, although the rhythm section kicked pretty good.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Jun 2018, 16:00

Izzy's the secret weapon.

Not denying they had their successes, just saying I've pretty much gotten what I'm gonna get out of them. Which isn't nothing, but isn't much, either.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 16:03

I liked some of the debut as a teenager. Songs like Nighttrain sounded quite good after a few snakebites but then shit like Paradise City was always naff and redolent of people you’d absolutely cross the road to avoid. Even by 80s standards there was something so sartorially appalling about the whole thing it just seemed lame. It was the music kids who hung around outside chippys listened too. All spotty and greasy and denimy. Yuk

Use Your Illusion (volumes 1 and 2? Mr Rose you are spoiling us!) seemed moribund at the point of creation with the rise of Nirvana. Axl Rose indulging his 70s rock fantasies and channeling Elton John or some crap. I mean Estranged was like fucking Vegas rock compared to, say, Breed or On A Plain. Ridiculous

And then there were the videos of course. Silly, silly men.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Jun 2018, 16:25

Well, I'll still stick up for them. The first LP is a classic of the genre, Lies is merely OK, and I enjoy both of the Illusions. I could probably take the best tracks off of them and come up with an album almost as good as Appetite. Also saw them live in support of the Stones in '89.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Jun 2018, 16:41

toomanyhatz wrote:Izzy's the secret weapon.

I really should dig out the Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds record. Been a looooooong time since I played it; wonder if it'd sound more endearingly charming now. :|
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 27 Jun 2018, 17:53

I didn't love them at the time but I could tell they were better than the average hair metal shit. They had some appealing Sex Pistols ripoff parts (the intro to It's So Easy = the intro to Liar, almost note for note.) They had a lot of "juh-jungs" on the guitar, as Steve Jones would say.

But they were not my thing and I did pick up on some unpleasant vibe from them almost right away. That song One In A Million makes me think of the hip A&R guys at the record company wondering "Is this edgy, cool racism or is this end-my-career-right-now racism?" and making a commercial calculation based on the answer. Lucky for them, 1989 was kind of right at the end of the time when you could appear kind of charismatic, deep and complicated by expressing such ideas in music. Quentin Tarantino seems to have taken a lot of influence from that moment.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”