Guns n Roses

Do talk back
sloopjohnc

Re: Guns n Roses

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jun 2018, 18:12

I like Welcome to the Jungle. That's it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Jun 2018, 18:41

I was floored by the Use Your Illusion double. It's surprisingly good.
Question authority.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Jun 2018, 19:42

bobzilla77 wrote:That song One In A Million makes me think of the hip A&R guys at the record company wondering "Is this edgy, cool racism or is this end-my-career-right-now racism?" and making a commercial calculation based on the answer. Lucky for them, 1989 was kind of right at the end of the time when you could appear kind of charismatic, deep and complicated by expressing such ideas in music.

It's hard to leave Indiana out of Axl's story...

Do you remember the contemporaneous Axl Rose interview where (when asked to defend his lyrics) he REALLY doubled down on his racism and homophobia in a fairly "You haven't lived my life!" fashion? What sticks with me most was the excessive lengths he went to with his homophobia...it was like listening to the type of closeted self loathing hate-legislating senator who you know is going to end up in some twisted ass scandal.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jun 2018, 20:08

When it comes to this sorta stuff I think I'm pretty lenient because I believe you can have some pretty reprehensible views when you are younger that you naturally move on from so I'm quite prepared to give Axl the benefit of the doubt.

It would help if the songs were any fucking good mind
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Jun 2018, 20:17

He doesn't inspire enormous goodwill on any number of levels.

I was quite proud of Izzy for declining to participate in the reunion - maintaining a mostly dignified silence while only once indicating that "I'd have done it for an even share of the pay." I can't even imagine what his share in that first album STILL yields him today, but...good for him.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 27 Jun 2018, 20:17

I was very much a spectator on what they were doing when they came out. Appetite for Destruction seemed like a move in a game I didn't give a shit about, that is whither L. A. pop metal?

So here comes this band out of the Sunset Strip scene that seemed conceived as a rejoinder to that scene's earlier intolerable crap like Mötley Crüe and Ratt and Poison and L.A. Guns and so on. Look they play Les Pauls instead of superstrats. Look one of them wears a CBGBs shirt. They seemed a little different from the earlier garbage but not very much better.

I like the idea of Chinese Democracy with Axl playing the role of crazed Col. Kurtz genius lost up-river for 20 years, though I've never heard it and wouldn't want to.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Jun 2018, 20:21

George P. Smackers wrote:I like the idea of Chinese Democracy with Axl playing the role of crazed Col. Kurtz genius lost up-river for 20 years, though I've never heard it and wouldn't want to.

You'd never get a real answer from him, but one wonders at what point did he realize "I could put it out today and it would already be too late."

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 27 Jun 2018, 20:29

Bent Fabric wrote:
George P. Smackers wrote:I like the idea of Chinese Democracy with Axl playing the role of crazed Col. Kurtz genius lost up-river for 20 years, though I've never heard it and wouldn't want to.

You'd never get a real answer from him, but one wonders at what point did he realize "I could put it out today and it would already be too late."

Yeah. Except isn't it one of those ones of which people say, "you know, it really isn't as bad as you might expect"?

So the delay could have been an inspired stroke of lowering everybody's expectations enough to make it acceptable and shrug-worthy.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Jun 2018, 21:17

The thing about them is that they looked like complete dicks who thought they were cool. At least Van Halen were having a laugh.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 27 Jun 2018, 22:08

fange wrote:
LeBaron wrote:First album was great, GNR Lies or whatever was ok, and then crashing disappointment and utter failure. What a disaster.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

It’s pretty much it but I’d dial down the enthusiasm across the board.

The first was absolutely played to death by the one of my mates that actually had a car, in said rust bucket, so I kinda had to go along with it. Things like Nighttrain, It’s So Easy, most of side one to be fair, had an edge or tunes that either the poodle metal or the thrash that was popular among these bedenimed chip shop types dug, that made it stand out. Needless to say, I’ve had no time for it since then but I could definitely see what made them stand out.

The rest of it is unadulterated horse piss.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jun 2018, 00:21

Bent Fabric wrote:I was quite proud of Izzy for declining to participate in the reunion - maintaining a mostly dignified silence while only once indicating that "I'd have done it for an even share of the pay." I can't even imagine what his share in that first album STILL yields him today, but...good for him.

I like the Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds album better than Guns and Roses.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jun 2018, 00:45

Ranking Ted wrote:
fange wrote:
LeBaron wrote:First album was great, GNR Lies or whatever was ok, and then crashing disappointment and utter failure. What a disaster.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

It’s pretty much it but I’d dial down the enthusiasm across the board.

What can I say? I was 13.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jun 2018, 00:50

sloopjohnc wrote:I like the Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds album better than Guns and Roses.

Rhythm guitarists are often better musicians than lead guitarists.

I could be saying that in part 'cause I'm a good rhythm guitarist and can't really do more than the occasional rudimentary lead, but there is something to be said for being that one that chooses to "hold things together" rather than step to the front of the stage and grimace.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 28 Jun 2018, 05:02

I was never a fan of the big songs off Appetite, even as I grew up and heard them a fair bit, and I actively hate "Sweet Child O' Mine" (although "It's So Easy" is a fucking jam). I probably prefer the awful, bombastic G'n'R (much like I prefer the awful, bombastic Smashing Pumpkins actually)
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Jun 2018, 06:53

ORORORO wrote:You loved 'em thirty years ago, didn't you?

Um, no.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jun 2018, 15:43

toomanyhatz wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I like the Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds album better than Guns and Roses.

I could be saying that in part 'cause I'm a good rhythm guitarist and can't really do more than the occasional rudimentary lead, but there is something to be said for being that one that chooses to "hold things together" rather than step to the front of the stage and grimace.

:lol:

Can you "mansplain" to another guy?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 28 Jun 2018, 15:53

sloopjohnc wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

:lol:

Can you "mansplain" to another guy?

I'm just hoping he gives rhythm guitar lessons.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Jun 2018, 16:04

Bent Fabric wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:That song One In A Million makes me think of the hip A&R guys at the record company wondering "Is this edgy, cool racism or is this end-my-career-right-now racism?" and making a commercial calculation based on the answer. Lucky for them, 1989 was kind of right at the end of the time when you could appear kind of charismatic, deep and complicated by expressing such ideas in music.

It's hard to leave Indiana out of Axl's story...

Do you remember the contemporaneous Axl Rose interview where (when asked to defend his lyrics) he REALLY doubled down on his racism and homophobia in a fairly "You haven't lived my life!" fashion? What sticks with me most was the excessive lengths he went to with his homophobia...it was like listening to the type of closeted self loathing hate-legislating senator who you know is going to end up in some twisted ass scandal.

I don't remember it that specifically. I do remember that Rolling Stone did a cover story on him and he insisted it be written by, literally, his best friend from high school.

Unfortunate. But I guess if he's OK with Elton...
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Jun 2018, 16:13

Big fan.
Slash: great guitar player, recognisable, personality.
Axl: great song writer, unique vocals. I love UYI with the caveat that you could lose half of them and make a better album.

Chinese Democracy has moments of real real class.

‘Prostitute’ their best song for 25 years.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Jun 2018, 16:47

Have never actually listened to them, certainly not back then, although I've no doubt heard a few tracks since without being moved to anything much. Isn't the singer a piece of wife-beating scum with a rag tied round his head, while the guitarist has absurd hair and hat combo and coffin-nail welded to his lower lip?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Yakety Yak”