My unwavering musical principles!

Do talk back
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Re: My unwavering musical principles!

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Jul 2018, 02:18

LeBaron wrote:But my trip has always been specific antipathies. Jack White. Ian Svenonious. Ryan Adams. (non Birthday Party) Nick Cave. Archers of Loaf. And obsessive fans of things like Tom Waits or, say, Morphine, almost invariably aren’t going to lead me anywhere good. These defense mechanisms mostly did me right. I’m not really worried about it anymore.

I always liked you.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Jul 2018, 02:28

Bent Fabric wrote:In the late 1980s/early 1990s........I treated a LOT of "old man rock" like pure HAZMAT. There were people who went on tour and put out records around then whom I really sniffed at (a lot of those records are really not ever going to be my thing, to be fair) - concerts in stadiums or arenas were an absolute no no. I'm sure a lot of artists I'm seeing this year I could have seen dozens of times then for what a ticket now costs.

Oh God, yes. I remember you went to see Bowie on the Sound and Vision Tour and I was like, "Well, you enjoy that."

Idiots.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Jul 2018, 13:12

pcqgod wrote:I almost never buy any punk albums recorded after 1990. Well, I mean I'll buy scuzzy, sleazy stuff like the Sinisters and New Bomb Turks, but nothing that whiffs of mohawks and leather jackets with slogans written on them and "Oi oi oi" etc. I have no problem buying retro 60's garage, retro stoner rock, probably anything retro. But not punk rock. Which means that somewhere it somehow still means something to me, in that I feel that only stuff recorded during a certain time period has any authenticity, I suppose. Or maybe that stuff seemed so inauthentic the first time around that I won't have a 30-years-too-late revisiting of it. Whichever.

I have my own version of this, for sure. Some innate respect for the sanctity of organic seeming events and moments, and some deep distaste for the sort of "surface re-enactment" of ancient history. All things get absorbed in some way - as they should - but the very notion of a person or people deliberately building a chintzy monument to an already extant monument that I can easily go see for myself...it seems like some massive affront to anyone who manages to bother with actual ideas.

There are exceptions for sure (the pastiche of the Rutles manages to work, and...there's some genuine personality and character behind something like High Llamas), but...basic minstrelsy is kind of "THAT'S what you came up with?"

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 03 Jul 2018, 13:21

Bent Fabric wrote:the very notion of a person or people deliberately building a chintzy monument to an already extant monument that I can easily go see for myself...it seems like some massive affront to anyone who manages to bother with actual ideas.

Beautifully put.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Jul 2018, 16:09

ORORORO wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:the very notion of a person or people deliberately building a chintzy monument to an already extant monument that I can easily go see for myself...it seems like some massive affront to anyone who manages to bother with actual ideas.

Beautifully put.

You can't imagine how many bands I played with that had '77 appended to their band name. It was like Halloween in July!
Last edited by Phenomenal Cat on 03 Jul 2018, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Jul 2018, 16:58

It's a form of squatting.

I hesitate to even elevate it with words like "forgery".

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Jul 2018, 21:05

Bent Fabric wrote:It's a form of squatting.

I hesitate to even elevate it with words like "forgery".

These days we call it "branding".