new McCartney

Do talk back
Bent Fabric

Re: new McCartney

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Sep 2018, 17:07

Sneelock wrote:I don't think the songs are much but I think there are good tracks. but HELL, I've felt that way about his records for years. I remember when everybody was plotzing over "flowers in the dirt" but, unlike most of the people lucky enough to get paid to write about such things, the songs really didn't do that much for me. for that matter, neither did the tracks.

on the new one I like the ones where he endeavors to rock out the best. I think it's neat that the guy who wrote "All My Loving" likes to monkey around with feedback and such as he nears his 80's.

Like you, then as now, I didn't and don't see what's supposed to be so remarkable about Flowers...

He's made more unremarkable records than I've had hot meals. Granted, he's also made more classics than I've had hot meals, so...it will be a pleasant surprise if he ever makes another, but I'm obviously not staked to that outcome.

Something a journalist friend of mine mentioned on Facebook is how dispiriting it is to see a man of his accomplishments basically going on all of these wacky promotional gambits (basically, the equivalent of the Japanese game show where they dip you in a pool of hot lava if you press the wrong button) every time he has something new to hawk. The inane stunts of a Corden or a Fallon (Jesus, these fucking people are no less a sign of the times than rampant homelessness or drive-thru toilets)...do you not reach a point after 55 or more years when you've finally level-jumped out of that sort of "sub-morning zoo" forced hilarity? There are people of arguably far lesser talent (take your pick) who manage to have their work discussed in some meaningful, insightful or knowledgeable way (and seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw McCartney in front of a camera with someone who knew even as much about the Beatles as the biggest fabs hater among us).

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Sep 2018, 17:41

Have a look ( if you haven't already done so) at the interview with Jarvis Cocker interview I posted on the last page. It's about as serious and in depth as you're likely to get from him in that he does talk at some length (..which might be bad thing in some people's book I guess!) about the songwriting process

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Sep 2018, 17:52

Oh, yeah! I really enjoyed that one.

Actually reading THIS right now:

https://www.gq.com/story/the-untold-stories-of-paul-mccartney

which has some value, not least because of the interviewer's eagerness to steer Paul away from his most shopworn anecdotes.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Sep 2018, 18:36

That might be the best printed McC interview I've ever read! thanks!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Sep 2018, 18:39

Winston Churchill

:o
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Sep 2018, 18:51

:lol:

Bent Fabric wrote:
Actually reading THIS right now:

https://www.gq.com/story/the-untold-stories-of-paul-mccartney

which has some value, not least because of the interviewer's eagerness to steer Paul away from his most shopworn anecdotes.

bless his heart. that is a very interesting interview.
uggy poopy doody.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Sep 2018, 19:55

"Buddy Rich is a load of shit."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Sep 2018, 20:41

It's funny how people get to a certain age and just become a lot nicer. He comes across really well in these interviews and that hasn't always been the case ..humbler and more open.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 13 Sep 2018, 13:13

I was taken aback that both HMV and the local independent shop were both charging 41 quid for the double vinyl album, whilst the CD is reasonably priced. OK the production costs of the vinyl LPs may be much higher but the asking price is exorbitant in my view. I'm going through a period of being more sympathetic to McCartney's music, so I'd like to hear the album but will wait until HMV has it in the 2 for 15 quid selection.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Sep 2018, 13:19

I was taken aback that there is an HMV :shock:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Sep 2018, 15:02

playing here now, but i'm only half paying attention

I will say that 'Fuh You' joint sounds like he's chasing the pop radio sounds/hooks of some Millennial Whoopy Band at the same time as trying to get some of that sweet pop/R&B airplay. But in an old man kind of way.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 15 Sep 2018, 00:35

Only listened to the album for the first time today so not really got to grips with it yet but the most obvious/catchy song is Fuh You.

It sounds as mentioned above like the work of a much younger band, kinda contemporary, and I could see it being a hit if it ended up on an advert or something but it doesn’t sound very McCarney and that’s what I go to McCartney records for...

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 15 Sep 2018, 17:44

I’ve been listening piecemeal to the album and the last two tracks sound very McCartney to my ears and as such are growing on me.

Trouble is, I tried to avoid any hype but then I read and heard people saying it was his best since RAM. I love that era of McCartney music more than I love most people so...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Sep 2018, 02:07

ChrisChopping wrote:Trouble is, I tried to avoid any hype but then I read and heard people saying it was his best since RAM.

Don't they say that EVERY time he does anything halfway presentable/not too embarrassing?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 02:11

They do!

BUT....apparently it's his first number one album in the US since Tug Of War - if that means anything...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 Sep 2018, 05:16

It means old people still buy albums.
uggy poopy doody.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Sep 2018, 09:23

BOXO wrote:They do!

BUT....apparently it's his first number one album in the US since Tug Of War - if that means anything...

It means the promotional skit with Corden worked.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 09:33

I'm sure it helped.

I'm enjoying the album. Bits of it, anyway. The lyrics are almost always terrible. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does. They're mostly unignorable.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 17 Sep 2018, 15:36

BOXO wrote:I'm sure it helped.

I'm enjoying the album. Bits of it, anyway. The lyrics are almost always terrible. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does. They're mostly unignorable.

I’ve ignored it completely. I find I appreciate it more that way.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 15:42

:)

Return to “Yakety Yak”