new McCartney

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

new McCartney

Postby naughty boy » 21 Jun 2018, 01:55

I still think it's fucking weird that men of nearly 80 years of age are putting out ROCK songs, but I think I'm alone in that one - here, at least.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Re: new McCartney

Postby Bent Fabric » 21 Jun 2018, 01:57

I like the ballad quite a bit, but the rocker is fucking grim.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Jun 2018, 09:58

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Jun 2018, 11:14

anyone?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jun 2018, 12:23

The 2nd video won't play, but the first one is just a solid 'ok' really for me. I'm a bit surprised how strong his voice sounds, and the maturity in his vocals is quite appealing. But the song itself just feels like a bit of a mish-mash of melodic and lyrical tropes, the kind of thing that your run-of-the-mill, garden-variety singer/songwriter types are banging out ad nauseum these days. It's got some pleasant moments, but certainly didn't set my world alight on first listen.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 21 Jun 2018, 12:24

ORORORO wrote:I still think it's fucking weird that men of nearly 80 years of age are putting out ROCK songs, but I think I'm alone in that one - here, at least.

It can seem that way, but what do you expect him to do? A folk album?

Old blues guys, for example, are allowed to keep on making blues records. Why shouldn't an old rock'n'roller?

Not that that particular rock song sounds up to much, mind you.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Jun 2018, 12:25

Maybe this one will work.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Jun 2018, 13:33

ORORORO wrote:I still think it's fucking weird that men of nearly 80 years of age are putting out ROCK songs, but I think I'm alone in that one - here, at least.

Nah, you're not alone, although that's a pretty poor excuse for a rock song (even less a rock & roll one), more a medium pace chug. And speaking as a man of nearly 70, I find the idea of a septuagenarian with boot-black in his hair singing a coyish teen lyric about courting and flirting a bit weirder than the genre.
And in answer to those who wonder what else an aged rocker should be doing, can I suggest just shutting up and retiring as a good career move.
Mind you, I've been saying that about McCartney for the best part of half a century.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Jun 2018, 16:36

I read an interview with him that was short but that I enjoyed. He talked about things I hadn't heard him talk about before - namely this "Teenage Opera/Grocer Dan" thing I'd never heard of.

the interview had a "preview" and I was amazed by my reaction. I was actually sort of excited by it. so much so that I've put some "recent" McCartney on the playlist. I can see where people who don't want to hear it or look at him are coming from but my Inner Beatle Fan still responds to the guy.

me, I like the "rock" stuff WAY better than the ballad stuff. just like with "New" and "Memory" I like how he seems to be letting people fuck with the texture of the sound. It doesn't exactly sound contemporary but I think it takes his "classic rock" sound and gussies it up in a way I find pleasing.

I doubt I'll listen to it front to back and eagerly spin it again but I am looking forward to seeing what the old boy is up to.
Last edited by Sneelock on 21 Jun 2018, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jun 2018, 16:36

Bent Fabric wrote:I like the ballad quite a bit, but the rocker is fucking grim.

I liked the ballad too, but I like the rocker more than you do. But. . . it's like every other faster paced song he's put on the last few albums. There's nothing that sets apart from any of the others.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jun 2018, 16:37

sneelock wrote:I read an interview with him that was short but that I enjoyed. He talked about things I hadn't heard him talk about before - namely this "Teenage Opera/Grocer Dan" thing I'd never heard of.

the interview had a "preview" and I was amazed by my reaction. I was actually sort of excited by it. so much so that I've put some "recent" McCartney on the playlist. I can see where people who don't want to hear it or look at him are coming from but my Inner Beatle Fan still responds to the guy.

me, I like the "rock" stuff WAY better than the ballad stuff. just like with "New" and "Memory" I like how he seems to be letting people fuck with the texture of the sound. It doesn't exactly sound contemporary but I think it takes his "classic rock" sound and gussies it up in a way I find pleasing.

I doubt I'll listen to it front to back and eagerly spin it again but I am looking forward to seeing what the old boy is up to.

Did you hear his last album? He put it out before the last tour a little over three years ago.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jun 2018, 16:40

Do you think it's weird when guys like Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Ronald Isley, Bettie Levert, Al Green or Solomon Burke are/were putting out albums when they are/were older?

And what's the difference if you don't?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Jun 2018, 16:47

sloopjohnc wrote:Did you hear his last album? He put it out before the last tour a little over three years ago.

If you mean "New" then I have. I don't think I ever listened to it as a whole but there are tracks I enjoy very much. I like how some "rock" tracks have the same energy that the "fireman" stuff has but still has the bass or arrangement touches you associate with a PM track.

I think it's great that he works with people that want to work with him - that he seems to be aware of what's going on in his business.
I think it's great that he can work with those people in a way that seems (to me) less self conscious than some of his collaborations in the past did.

I don't have high hopes but Paul McCartney is still fucking making records and part of me would love to like it just as part of me wants to scold the other part for being a pathetic old Beatle fan.
uggy poopy doody.

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 21 Jun 2018, 17:03

I think it’s weird that anyone would put out a rock record at all, let alone an 80 year old. I know old men were putting out Dixieland records in the 70’s, and that they did it for their own enjoyed and for nostalgic reasons, but there’s no way they thought that more than a handful of people would want to hear it. I realize that McCartney is as big an attention seeker as our orange overload, Spanky McTinyhands, and that drive to be noticed has made him more money than he could ever spend, but I respect people who know when their time has passed and move on a lot more. One only has to go to Hoffman to see how there is still an audience of sad fanatics who can’t admit that he’s been passed his prime for decades, partially because they can’t admit that they too aren’t as relevant as they once were,and partially due to mental illness (there are people there discussing the merits of Ringo’s 80’s albums.)
Rock was once young peoples music, and was about youthful concerns. Now that the audience for it is passed middle age, it’s used to sell adult diapers and erectile disfunction medications. It’s gone beyond pathetic, and it’s no wonder younger people find it ridiculous.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jun 2018, 17:05

sneelock wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Did you hear his last album? He put it out before the last tour a little over three years ago.

If you mean "New" then I have. I don't think I ever listened to it as a whole but there are tracks I enjoy very much. I like how some "rock" tracks have the same energy that the "fireman" stuff has but still has the bass or arrangement touches you associate with a PM track.

Just wondering. I liked some of the songs a lot.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Jun 2018, 18:59

Grandpa likes to rock. I find it kind of touching. When I saw him live a couple years ago, one of the highlights for me was when he strapped on the electric and did a bit of "Purple Haze" and "Let Me Roll It." He's never lost the "teenager playing guitar in his bedroom after school" gleam.

I'll probably give them another listen, but I can't hear much in either of those songs that pleases me that much. But if it's pleasing him - god knows he doesn't need the money - more power to him, is my vote.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jun 2018, 19:13

toomanyhatz wrote:Grandpa likes to rock. I find it kind of touching. When I saw him live a couple years ago, one of the highlights for me was when he strapped on the electric and did a bit of "Purple Haze" and "Let Me Roll It." He's never lost the "teenager playing guitar in his bedroom after school" gleam.

I'll probably give them another listen, but I can't hear much in either of those songs that pleases me that much. But if it's pleasing him - god knows he doesn't need the money - more power to him, is my vote.

Ditto.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 21 Jun 2018, 19:43

If ever a person has earned the right to do whatever the fuck they like...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Jun 2018, 19:51

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Jun 2018, 19:53

Sorry, I meant "how dare he." :D
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Return to “Yakety Yak”