Strangeways,here we come.

Do talk back
jimboo

Re: Strangeways,here we come.

Postby jimboo » 14 Jun 2018, 19:58

The first album is weaker , it sounds awful. Morrissey and Marr both think Strangeways is their best. I see why. Queen is dead is the fans favourite , it's highs are huge but I have discovered the charms of strangeways to be more to my liking. I feel if they had carried on something exciting would have happened , maybe eclipsing previous albums.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 14 Jun 2018, 21:18

There’s a studied, Professional Indie, quality to their post-Queen output. Morrissey’s quirks became formulaic, he rallied for Viva Hate but after that, nah. Marr has been (oof! I’ll leave it there).
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jun 2018, 22:27

jimboo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Easily their weakest.

And now the whole of BCB embarks on an unintended sync listen, safe in the knowledge that it must be better than Matt's lamentable opinion.

Don't believe me? Start a thread/poll about the weakest Smiths album. I'd bet money Strangeways will win by some distance. "Lamentable" as you may find that to be...
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Jun 2018, 22:49

I bought it as soon as it came out & immediately thought it was their weakest overall.

I haven't changed that view over time. I'm surprised Moz & Marr agree on that being their best album, of all things. Maybe it was the least horrible to make.

Although I do think Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me is among their best ballads.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Jun 2018, 22:51

I've never understood the widespread antipathy towards it. I won't be drawn into an argument over which album is "best", but this one's been my favorite since it came out.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 14 Jun 2018, 23:14

bobzilla77 wrote:Although I do think Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me is among their best ballads.

One of their very worst songs - the flimsiest musical idea stretched out and dressed up over endless tedious moaning minutes.

Only 'Meat Is Murder' is worse.
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 14 Jun 2018, 23:35

Paint a Vulgar Picture and Stop Me are my favourites on Strangeways. Stop Me is one of the greatest Smiths songs, surely.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 14 Jun 2018, 23:39

It's a goodie. That, and 'Disco Dancer'.

a label like Dutch Disky

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 14 Jun 2018, 23:47

Matt Wilson wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Easily their weakest.

And now the whole of BCB embarks on an unintended sync listen, safe in the knowledge that it must be better than Matt's lamentable opinion.

Don't believe me? Start a thread/poll about the weakest Smiths album. I'd bet money Strangeways will win by some distance. "Lamentable" as you may find that to be...

I find the very idea of a poll rather vulgar.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 15 Jun 2018, 00:01

Disco Dancer is very Beatlish!

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 15 Jun 2018, 00:20

I'd never thought of it like that...

a label like Dutch Disky

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 15 Jun 2018, 00:25

ORORORO wrote:I'd never thought of it like that...

Seriously , why would you?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 15 Jun 2018, 04:25

ORORORO wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:Although I do think Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me is among their best ballads.

One of their very worst songs - the flimsiest musical idea stretched out and dressed up over endless tedious moaning minutes.

Only 'Meat Is Murder' is worse.

It's big and bold, super grandiose. I don't want all their music to be like that but it was effective when used sparingly.

They have plenty of songs where he spits out a lot of words. I like seeing what he can do with just a couple of lines.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Jun 2018, 06:00

I think meat, queen and strangeways are all excellent records. The first album is merely great.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 15 Jun 2018, 13:27

I was a big Smiths fan at the time and the first album is the one. There's plenty of debate about the Troy Tate mixes being better; and 'Hatful ...' being a better representation of what they were at the time. The sound of that album fits the subjects of those songs perfectly - quirky, isolated, northerness set to music. The layering of the guitars of those tracks creates a dense and murky atmosphere that sounds exactly like the places and times in which those songs were written and set in. The real gems for me are the songs most people seem to downplay - Pretty Girls, Hand that Rocks The Cradle and Suffer Little Children. In my mind they are all linked. If you lived up here at the time, the Moors Murders were still something you shouldn't talk about because it would 'upset your gran'. I used to go 'over the tops' from Huddersfield over to Manchester pretty regular, past Saddleworth. The route was shit, weather horrific - looking out of the car window on a bad day it still resembled the black and white footage I used to see re-run on TV of the police searching for bodies up there. Those tracks are the soundtrack to that journey.

The lyrics on Suffer ... are outrageous for the time. Nobody had ever personified and written about those murders in this way before. The amount of information and perspective that is crammed in that 5 minutes is incredible. And then get onto the orchestration of the track. The guitar arrangements make it sound huge, the subliminal, strummed acoustic that locks into the drums and the capo-ed electrics playing reverb encrusted arpeggios and melodic motifs over the top. The way the lead lines intertwine around the percussion. Just masterful. Johnny's finest work is considered to be 'How Soon Is Now', but I think this track surpasses it, easily - just the subject matter isn't as easy on the lugs. The guitar on this album is otherworldly, it seems to have its roots back in the 50's, but I'd never heard anything like it before - it is not straightforward. I always tried to get a position in front of Johnny at gigs to see how he did it, I watched regularly and was still non the wiser.

Strangeways shows how far they'd come as a musical force, but also how much character they'd lost at the end. I don't 'hear' the Smiths on this album - it has no personality, there's no fun in it. Nothing that I laugh my ass of at. The arrangements of the songs were far in advance of the first album, but they have a sheen on them that takes them out of the bedsit and removes any grit and charm the songs might have had. It sounds corporate and over orchestrated in a 60's pop stylee. The reverb piano thingy and ping-pong orchestration in 'Rush and Push', the almost-metal guitar on 'Started Something' mixed in with what sounds like Sax, Last Night is just 'pants', Vulgar - clumsy lyrics almost a Spitting Image parody, I cringe at the guitar break - was Johnny listening to Boston that day ? where was quality control ? Elbow .... make it stop, please. I won't share you .... thank god its stopped. Its adult music, boring adult music. Needless to say my LP is in mint condition, filed next to Sandanista.
angering the feeble

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 15 Jun 2018, 13:47

OH!

thank you x

a label like Dutch Disky