RIP Danny Kirwan

Do talk back
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

RIP Danny Kirwan

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Jun 2018, 05:37

On his FB page, and now Wikipedia, though no details yet. What a week! :cry:

Apparently left music behind entirely and was homeless for a while. Issues with mental illness, which seems to have dogged multiple Mac guitar players.

More details hopefully coming. RIP.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Bent Fabric

Re: RIP Danny Kirwan

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jun 2018, 05:56

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Jun 2018, 06:11

toomanyhatz wrote:What a week! :cry:

No kidding. I just read that Anthony Bourdain killed himself. Christ.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2018, 06:27

I was listening to Quicksilver Messenger Service earlier this week and musing on how Gary Duncan was a really superb guitarist... whose misfortune (perhaps) was to be in a band with a somewhat more distinctive and charismatic one, John Cippolina. Which, not unnaturally, called to mind Danny Kirwan, who might have been a proper guitar hero had he not been in the shadow of Peter Green...

Or, just as easily, might not have come to the world's attention at all. Not much point in second-guessing these things, I suppose.

In any event, he was not only a perfect musical foil to both the very similar Green and the strikingly different Bob Welch, but a genuinely special guitarist and composer in his own light - passionate and thoughtful.

Lyrics were not his long suit - which might be one reason this one, based on a Rupert Brooke poem from 1910, is one of my favorite Kirwan songs. It's apt, certainly.

R.I.P.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 Jun 2018, 07:07

Charlie O. wrote:I was listening to Quicksilver Messenger Service earlier this week and musing on how Gary Duncan was a really superb guitarist... whose misfortune (perhaps) was to be in a band with a somewhat more distinctive and charismatic one, John Cippolina. Which, not unnaturally, called to mind Danny Kirwan, who might have been a proper guitar hero had he not been in the shadow of Peter Green...

Or, just as easily, might not have come to the world's attention at all. Not much point in second-guessing these things, I suppose.

In any event, he was not only a perfect musical foil to both the very similar Green and the strikingly different Bob Welch, but a genuinely special guitarist and composer in his own light - passionate and thoughtful.

Lyrics were not his long suit - which might be one reason this one, based on a Rupert Brooke poem from 1910, is one of my favorite Kirwan songs. It's apt, certainly.

Very well put, Charlie.

Naive lyrics aside, his 6 songs on (the original) Then Play On is what makes that album really special, not to mention his wonderful guitar sound.

RIP Danny
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jun 2018, 13:02

His songs were absolutely my much-delayed gateway to early Mac. Sensitive, soulful, evocative, wistful, lyrical, modest...whatever that thing is about his music that you know but can't quite put a name to. They are - for me - the unquestionable highlights of the records, and (in turn) make those records the highlight of the band's long and varied career.

Even his three solo records have something of the man's musical sweetness about them.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Jun 2018, 17:51

Oh man! This hits me way more than Anthony Bourdain or Kate Spade.

A singularly talented guy.

Someone put all his FM track in a single YouTube clip and I listened to that all the time until it was taken down.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Jun 2018, 18:02

It was announced on Fleetwood Mac’s official Facebook page that Danny Kirwan had died on 8 June 2018.
Mick Fleetwood said:
”Today was greeted by the sad news of the passing of Danny Kirwan in London, England. Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years.
Danny’s true legacy, in my mind, will forever live on in the music he wrote and played so beautifully as a part of the foundation of Fleetwood Mac, that has now endured for over fifty years.
Thank you, Danny Kirwan. You will forever be missed!
~Mick Fleetwood and Fleetwood Mac”

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Jun 2018, 16:51

always loved the first Mac chapter.

RIP Danny.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Jun 2018, 13:57

Damn, there goes my wish of the original band reuniting. Couldn't add to the fine words already said, RIP Danny

Return to “Yakety Yak”