The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Do talk back
User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2621
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2018, 20:49

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8459426/the-byrds-sweetheart-of-the-rodeo-tour

McGuinn and Hillman will perform the album in its entirety and the tell the stories behind it, they will also sing some other favorites from their long recording careers

Organizers announced the first five Sweetheart of the Rodeo tour dates, with more gigs set to be announced soon.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo Tour

July 24 – Los Angeles, CA @ Ace Hotel
July 29 – Saratoga, CA @ Mountain Winery
September 18 – Albany, NY @ Hart Theater
September 20 – Hopewell, VA @ Beacon Theatre
October 3 – Akron, OH @ Akron Civic

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46673
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Quaco » 08 Jun 2018, 21:16

The stories sounds like a cool aspect, not just playing the stuff. I might check it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Positive Passion
Posts: 585
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Jun 2018, 21:25

I have tried with this album but haven't got into it yet. Now if they had been touring any of the previous three albums I would be really interested.....

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2621
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2018, 21:26

Hoping they add some Texas dates, but that Ace Hotel Theatre in LA looks amazing.
https://theatre.acehotel.com/about/our-vision/

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26949
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 21:39

Got my tickets for the Ace Hotel just today. Saw Jerry Lee Lewis there. It's a great place to see a show, though the tickets are a bit on the pricey side for my blood.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42625
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 22:10

I saw McGuinn on Marty Stuart the other day and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. He’s a massive goober, of course.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26949
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 22:15

Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard. And McGuinn is still a stunning guitar player unless he's lost a lot of dexterity in the last decade or so.

Marty Stuart's band is backing them, which I'm accepting as good news.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42625
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 22:18

toomanyhatz wrote:Marty Stuart's band is backing them, which I'm accepting as good news.


It IS, especially if Marty is playing as he has the Clarence White guitar and knows how to use it.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 38919
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2018, 00:02

You guys are twisting my arm. Hopewell, VA is about three hours away from me, and I don't know if I can justify it - especially as I'm seeing Michael Nesmith & The First National Band (I still don't know who that currently is) just a few days before... but I'm tempted.
Image

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20755
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Muskrat » 09 Jun 2018, 00:07

toomanyhatz wrote:Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard.


I saw Chris and John Jorgensen and Herb Pedersen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.
Last edited by Muskrat on 09 Jun 2018, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26949
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Jun 2018, 00:10

Muskrat wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard.


I saw Chris and John Jorgensen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.


Would that Richie Furay (also in great voice) would do the same...
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20755
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Muskrat » 09 Jun 2018, 00:18

toomanyhatz wrote:
Muskrat wrote:I saw Chris and John Jorgensen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.


Would that Richie Furay (also in great voice) would do the same...


He didn't politic at the Buffalo Springfield tribute earlier this year.





Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16665
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jun 2018, 03:00

Not my favorite Byrds material, but I'd love to see Hillman and McGuinn playing together. Doubt if I can make any of these shows, unfortunately.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1155
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Hightea » 09 Jun 2018, 05:10

assume they will add something closer to NYC, hopefully up here in westchester.
Saw McGuinn last year sound good

liked his hat
Image