The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Do talk back
User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2737
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2018, 20:49

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8459426/the-byrds-sweetheart-of-the-rodeo-tour

McGuinn and Hillman will perform the album in its entirety and the tell the stories behind it, they will also sing some other favorites from their long recording careers

Organizers announced the first five Sweetheart of the Rodeo tour dates, with more gigs set to be announced soon.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo Tour

July 24 – Los Angeles, CA @ Ace Hotel
July 29 – Saratoga, CA @ Mountain Winery
September 18 – Albany, NY @ Hart Theater
September 20 – Hopewell, VA @ Beacon Theatre
October 3 – Akron, OH @ Akron Civic

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46918
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Quaco » 08 Jun 2018, 21:16

The stories sounds like a cool aspect, not just playing the stuff. I might check it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Positive Passion
Posts: 732
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Jun 2018, 21:25

I have tried with this album but haven't got into it yet. Now if they had been touring any of the previous three albums I would be really interested.....

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2737
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2018, 21:26

Hoping they add some Texas dates, but that Ace Hotel Theatre in LA looks amazing.
https://theatre.acehotel.com/about/our-vision/

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27472
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 21:39

Got my tickets for the Ace Hotel just today. Saw Jerry Lee Lewis there. It's a great place to see a show, though the tickets are a bit on the pricey side for my blood.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43032
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 22:10

I saw McGuinn on Marty Stuart the other day and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. He’s a massive goober, of course.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27472
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 22:15

Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard. And McGuinn is still a stunning guitar player unless he's lost a lot of dexterity in the last decade or so.

Marty Stuart's band is backing them, which I'm accepting as good news.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43032
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby LeBaron » 08 Jun 2018, 22:18

toomanyhatz wrote:Marty Stuart's band is backing them, which I'm accepting as good news.


It IS, especially if Marty is playing as he has the Clarence White guitar and knows how to use it.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39576
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2018, 00:02

You guys are twisting my arm. Hopewell, VA is about three hours away from me, and I don't know if I can justify it - especially as I'm seeing Michael Nesmith & The First National Band (I still don't know who that currently is) just a few days before... but I'm tempted.
Image

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20904
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Muskrat » 09 Jun 2018, 00:07

toomanyhatz wrote:Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard.


I saw Chris and John Jorgensen and Herb Pedersen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.
Last edited by Muskrat on 09 Jun 2018, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Things that a fella can't forget...

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27472
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Jun 2018, 00:10

Muskrat wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Hillman's an even bigger goober - supposedly he's moved to the libertarian right - but he's in great voice and still playing great, at least last I heard.


I saw Chris and John Jorgensen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.


Would that Richie Furay (also in great voice) would do the same...
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20904
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Muskrat » 09 Jun 2018, 00:18

toomanyhatz wrote:
Muskrat wrote:I saw Chris and John Jorgensen last year. He's in excellent voice and kept his politics to himself.


Would that Richie Furay (also in great voice) would do the same...


He didn't politic at the Buffalo Springfield tribute earlier this year.





Things that a fella can't forget...

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17288
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jun 2018, 03:00

Not my favorite Byrds material, but I'd love to see Hillman and McGuinn playing together. Doubt if I can make any of these shows, unfortunately.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1510
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Hightea » 09 Jun 2018, 05:10

assume they will add something closer to NYC, hopefully up here in westchester.
Saw McGuinn last year sound good

liked his hat
Image

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17288
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby pcqgod » 07 Nov 2018, 18:52

So for those who have seen this, how was it in terms of:

1. set list (I'm assuming they're playing some material not from SotR)
2. quality of performances, including how well McGuinn and Hillman sound as vocalists in 2018)
3. overall memorable qualities?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43032
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby LeBaron » 07 Nov 2018, 19:42

I’m going. There’s recent footage of McGuinn on the Marty Stuart show that sold me. I wouldn’t see McGuinn solo if you paid me but his voice sounded good and if those guys are backing him ... I would post videos but I’m on my phone and should be working
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1510
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Hightea » 07 Nov 2018, 19:44

pcqgod wrote:So for those who have seen this, how was it in terms of:

1. set list (I'm assuming they're playing some material not from SotR)
2. quality of performances, including how well McGuinn and Hillman sound as vocalists in 2018)
3. overall memorable qualities?


wrote this in the gigging thread:
Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman show of Sweetheart of the Rodeo album along with Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives
They started off with 10 songs and stories about early songs that were country style. Some very cool stories although they didn't talk about Gram Parsons much which we thought was strange. Then played the whole album and then did a 3 songs Tom Petty tribute ( Chris Hillman just completed an album that Petty ask to produce and play on).

Roger and Chris
Image

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives
Image

In regards to the performances I thought they were very good. Both Hillman and McGuinn sounded wonderful(although not perfect) and the backing band knew the material and did a great job. All in all a very good night and recommend going if you get a chance.

bit of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere:

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17288
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby pcqgod » 08 Nov 2018, 04:13

I was all set to see Booker T. Jones Saturday, but screw it, I'll probably never have another chance to see a Byrds show. And Booker is playing on Friday also, so I can see both shows.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4694
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby NMB » 09 Nov 2018, 23:36

Charlie O. wrote:You guys are twisting my arm. Hopewell, VA is about three hours away from me, and I don't know if I can justify it - especially as I'm seeing Michael Nesmith & The First National Band (I still don't know who that currently is) just a few days before... but I'm tempted.


If you don’t go and you never get another chance how would you feel?
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39576
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: The Byrds tour Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Nov 2018, 00:05

NMB wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:You guys are twisting my arm. Hopewell, VA is about three hours away from me, and I don't know if I can justify it - especially as I'm seeing Michael Nesmith & The First National Band (I still don't know who that currently is) just a few days before... but I'm tempted.


If you don’t go and you never get another chance how would you feel?

As a matter of fact, I did get another chance, closer to home... and still passed on it.

I won't lose sleep over it.
Image