Your favorite albums of 1982

Do talk back
User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16978
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby pcqgod » 08 Jun 2018, 17:15

Top 12 for me:

The Barracudas -- Drop Out With
Split Enz - Time and Tide
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Imperial Bedroom
FEAR - The Record
Birthday Party -- Junk Yard
Misfits -- Walk Among Us
Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's
X - Under the Big Black Sun
Bauhaus -- The Sky's Gone Out
King Sunny Ade – Juju Music
King Crimson – Beat
Siouxsie and the Banshees - A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2756
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Jun 2018, 17:20

pcqgod wrote:X - Under the Big Black Sun


Ignore the seeming preciousness of my language, but...SUCH a special record.

Their Pepper, as I see it.

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2756
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Jun 2018, 17:21

Without consulting a list, I know I consider the likes of Thriller, 1999 and Number of the Beast highlights of ANY year.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jun 2018, 18:12

Roxy Music - Avalon
Marshal Crenshaw
Springteen - Nebraska
dBs - Repercussion
Thompsons - Shoot Out the Lights
Macca - Tug of War
Clash - Combat Rock
Beat - Special Beat Service
Joe Jackson - Night and Day
XTC - English Settlement

There's ten which haven't been mentioned.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jun 2018, 18:37

Van Halen - Diver Down
Petty - Long After Dark
Lou Reed - The Blue Mask
Furs - Forever Now
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Haircut 100 - Pelican West
Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors
Rank & File - Sundown
Madness - Rise and Fall
Cure - Pornography
Angry Samoans - Back from Samoa
Peter Gabriel
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
ABC - Lexicon of Love
Flipper - Generic
Fall - Hex Induction Hour
Mission of Burma - VS
Bad Brains
Replacements - Stink (EP)
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

There's 20 more...
Thinking about Mexican food.

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2756
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Jun 2018, 18:46

Diver Down (eternally underrated) and Tug of War (probably rated just right) are also huge personal favorites.

User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 489
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Dayodead » 08 Jun 2018, 18:50

1. The Cure- Pornography
2. Mission of Burma- Vs
3. Bad Brains- Bad Brains
4. Lou Reed- The Blue Mask
5. X- Under the big black sun
6. The Birthday Party- Junkyard
7. Dead Kennedys- Plastic surgery disasters
8. The Gun Club- Miami
9. Marine Girls- Beach Party
10. REM- Chronic Town ep

Eyeless in Gaza- Pale hands I loved so well / Drumming the beating heart
Violent Femmes- Violent Femmes
Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors
Bad Religion- How could hell be any worse?
Sparks- Angst in my pants
Descendants- Milo goes to college
Christian death- Only theatre of pain
Bauhaus- The sky's gone out
Felt- Crumbling the antiseptic beauty
Charged GBH- City baby attacked by rats
Prince - 1999
Siouxsie & The Banshees - A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Various Artists- This is Boston Not L.A.
SPK - Leichenschrei
Flipper - Generic

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27251
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 18:54

I rather shockingly agree with almost all of Matt's list, particularly the first one.

I'd forgotten that it was a pretty good year.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27251
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jun 2018, 18:56

There's also the Minutemen's Bean-Spill EP, if something 6 minutes long counts as an album. (It does have FIVE SONGS!)
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16777
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 08 Jun 2018, 19:24

Springsteen - Nebraska
Clash - Combat Rock
Descendents - Milo Goes To College
Don Fagen - The Nightfly
The Jam - The Gift
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Madness - The Rise and Fall
Roxy - Avalon
Sun Ra - Nuclear War
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love

In no order.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2681
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2018, 19:27

Nebraska
The Dreaming
The Nightfly
Imperial Bedroom
English Settlement
Special Beat Service

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62586
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Jun 2018, 19:38

gash on ignore wrote:Descendents - Milo Goes To College


That would definitely be up there. I saw a video with Jello Biafra singing Police Truck with them recently.


User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39300
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Jun 2018, 19:41

Can't believe I'm the first to mention The Dream Syndicate's The Days Of Wine And Roses (and the preceding EP).

X - Under The Big Black Sun
Mission Of Burma - Vs.
R.E.M. - Chronic Town
Violent Femmes - s/t
The Clash - Combat Rock
The Gun Club - Miami
The Replacements - Stink
Meat Puppets - s/t
Marshall Crenshaw - s/t
Image

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16978
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby pcqgod » 08 Jun 2018, 19:44

Dayodead wrote:1. The Cure- Pornography
2. Mission of Burma- Vs
3. Bad Brains- Bad Brains
4. Lou Reed- The Blue Mask
5. X- Under the big black sun
6. The Birthday Party- Junkyard
7. Dead Kennedys- Plastic surgery disasters
8. The Gun Club- Miami
9. Marine Girls- Beach Party
10. REM- Chronic Town ep

Eyeless in Gaza- Pale hands I loved so well / Drumming the beating heart
Violent Femmes- Violent Femmes
Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors
Bad Religion- How could hell be any worse?
Sparks- Angst in my pants
Descendants- Milo goes to college
Christian death- Only theatre of pain
Bauhaus- The sky's gone out
Felt- Crumbling the antiseptic beauty
Charged GBH- City baby attacked by rats
Prince - 1999
Siouxsie & The Banshees - A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Various Artists- This is Boston Not L.A.
SPK - Leichenschrei
Flipper - Generic


The last great year for American hardcore punk, I'd say.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 1487
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Jumper K » 08 Jun 2018, 21:14

pcqgod wrote:
Dayodead wrote:1. The Cure- Pornography
2. Mission of Burma- Vs
3. Bad Brains- Bad Brains
4. Lou Reed- The Blue Mask
5. X- Under the big black sun
6. The Birthday Party- Junkyard
7. Dead Kennedys- Plastic surgery disasters
8. The Gun Club- Miami
9. Marine Girls- Beach Party
10. REM- Chronic Town ep

Eyeless in Gaza- Pale hands I loved so well / Drumming the beating heart
Violent Femmes- Violent Femmes
Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors
Bad Religion- How could hell be any worse?
Sparks- Angst in my pants
Descendants- Milo goes to college
Christian death- Only theatre of pain
Bauhaus- The sky's gone out
Felt- Crumbling the antiseptic beauty
Charged GBH- City baby attacked by rats
Prince - 1999
Siouxsie & The Banshees - A Kiss in the Dreamhouse
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Various Artists- This is Boston Not L.A.
SPK - Leichenschrei
Flipper - Generic


The last great year for American hardcore punk, I'd say.

You’d be wrong.

User avatar
pig bodine
Posts: 687
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 16:39
Location: Upper Baboonasshole

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby pig bodine » 08 Jun 2018, 21:45

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Urban Bushmen
Bad Brains - ROIR cassette
Flipper - Generic
Ornette Coleman - Of Human Feelings
David Murray - Murray’s Steps
Dream Syndicate - Days Of Wine & Roses
Mission Of Burma - Vs
Prince - 1999
Faith/Void
Junior Delahae - Reggae
King Sunny Ade - Juju Music
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Horace Andy - Dancehall Style
Angry Samoans- Back From Samoa
Scientist- Wins the World Cup
James Blood Ulmer - Black Rock
Roland Shannon Jackson -Mandance
John Carter - Dahwe
Venom - Black Metal
Television Personalities- Mummy You’re Not Watching Ne
Last edited by pig bodine on 08 Jun 2018, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6769
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby jimboo » 08 Jun 2018, 21:47

Matt Wilson wrote:Roxy Music - Avalon
Marshal Crenshaw
Springteen - Nebraska
dBs - Repercussion
Thompsons - Shoot Out the Lights
Macca - Tug of War
Clash - Combat Rock
Beat - Special Beat Service
Joe Jackson - Night and Day
XTC - English Settlement

There's ten which haven't been mentioned.


Maybe you shouldn't.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6769
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby jimboo » 08 Jun 2018, 21:49

Matt Wilson wrote:Van Halen - Diver Down
Petty - Long After Dark
Lou Reed - The Blue Mask
Furs - Forever Now
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Haircut 100 - Pelican West
Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors
Rank & File - Sundown
Madness - Rise and Fall
Cure - Pornography
Angry Samoans - Back from Samoa
Peter Gabriel
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
ABC - Lexicon of Love
Flipper - Generic
Fall - Hex Induction Hour
Mission of Burma - VS
Bad Brains
Replacements - Stink (EP)
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

There's 20 more...


Oh fuck , you did.

Quit before whatever kudos you may have had disappears .
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jun 2018, 23:16

I just listed albums which hadn't been listed before.

But don't let that stop you from submitting your list.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11731
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Your favorite albums of 1982

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2018, 10:05

The best album from 1982 hasn't been mentioned. It is of course the glorious Sulk by The Associates.

Image