The BCB blue-eyed soul thread

Do talk back
pcqgod

Re: The BCB blue-eyed soul thread

Postby pcqgod » 30 May 2018, 15:34

This is my favorite example:

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 May 2018, 17:18

pcqgod wrote:This is my favorite example:

Really?

I think Steve Marriott does an okay blue-eyed soul thing, but I don't think he's the epitome of this era. Like I posted earlier, I think Steve Winwood was the best, and there are others like Marriott, Daltrey, Terry Reid, Georgie Fame, Chris Farlowe, Van Morrison, who do an okay job, but don't quite hit it. When McCartney wants to, I think he does it quite well.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tom Jones, because I think he gets a lot of things right and checks off more boxes than most among UK male singers.

On the whole, I think there female UK singers do it better.

I love the stuff Jones does with Jeff Beck and Seasick Steve.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 May 2018, 19:13

sloopjohnc wrote:

Really?

I think Steve Marriott does an okay blue-eyed soul thing, but I don't think he's the epitome of this era. Like I posted earlier, I think Steve Winwood was the best, and there are others like Marriott, Daltrey, Terry Reid, Georgie Fame, Chris Farlowe, Van Morrison, who do an okay job, but don't quite hit it. When McCartney wants to, I think he does it quite well.

I meant the song, really. I could totally hear Otis or Wilson belting this one out. Or even Tina.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2018, 19:15

gash on ignore wrote:I always took blue-eyed soul to mean whitey adding a large dash of pure pop to soulful forms - Todd, Emmitt, Lx, Free Design, Macca, Hall and Oates. Wikipedia disagrees.

That's what I always thought.

Something like this.....

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 May 2018, 19:39

pcqgod wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Really?

I meant the song, really. I could totally hear Otis or Wilson belting this one out. Or even Tina.

Okay, I get that.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 May 2018, 19:40

Goat Boy wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:I always took blue-eyed soul to mean whitey adding a large dash of pure pop to soulful forms - Todd, Emmitt, Lx, Free Design, Macca, Hall and Oates. Wikipedia disagrees.

That's what I always thought.

Something like this.....

Maybe it's my speakers, but the music totally drowns out the singer, which shouldn't happen in soul.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 May 2018, 22:34

sloopjohnc wrote:The first ones I remember hearing.

The Rascals
Spencer Davis Group

I sent a lot of time in the kitchen (volunteered: it beat marching) during my brief stint in the Army, and was the only caucasian kid there most of the time. The other guys were nice enough to me, but they seemed generally suspicious of others of my ethnicity.

Still, one of their favorite records was the Rascals' "Groovin'." I remain convinced they had no idea that 3/4 of the band was Italian/American.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

mission

Postby mission » 31 May 2018, 00:57

Like Nev, I always assumed it referred to 70s music performed by white folk who grew up with and were emulating classic 60s soul but infused it with more pure pop elements and gave it a glossy sheen.

Darryl Hall is one of my favourite singers (mad adlibber) and when you watch Todd Rundgren come over to his house, they talk about that Philly sound and doowop and everything I always associated with the term "blue-eyed soul".

Hall and Oates' really shiny stuff was huge with black audiences. No MJ without HO.
Goodness gracious me.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 May 2018, 01:19

gash on ignore wrote:I always took blue-eyed soul to mean whitey adding a large dash of pure pop to soulful forms.

I took gash off ignore long enough to agree with this. I don’t mind the term. It’s like “Tex-Mex”. It explains what you’re getting. I’m a little harsher judge on this than I am other types of music. I think the Righteous Brothers is the gold standard. Most distant seconds get bronzed baby shoes.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 May 2018, 01:35

Gash is a truly funny son of bitch. I don't get the antipathy!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 31 May 2018, 02:21

mission wrote:Like Nev, I always assumed it referred to 70s music performed by white folk who grew up with and were emulating classic 60s soul but infused it with more pure pop elements and gave it a glossy sheen.

Darryl Hall is one of my favourite singers (mad adlibber) and when you watch Todd Rundgren come over to his house, they talk about that Philly sound and doowop and everything I always associated with the term "blue-eyed soul".

Hall and Oates' really shiny stuff was huge with black audiences.

Makes sense to me.

This kind of thing really captures what i think of as blue-eyed soul -

The Grass Roots' version...

Little Flint's version...
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 31 May 2018, 02:23

Matt Wilson wrote:Gash is a truly funny son of bitch. I don't get the antipathy!

He never leaves the toilet seat down though. :x
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 May 2018, 03:38

Matt Wilson wrote:Gash is a truly funny son of bitch. I don't get the antipathy!

Just joking about his user name. Guess I should have used a smilie or something. Luckily I suspect gash doesn’t give a shit who likes him or not.
uggy poopy doody.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 May 2018, 12:54

sneelock wrote:I think the Righteous Brothers is the gold standard.

I would agree with this: I'm pretty sure that the first time I saw the term used it was in connection with them (especially their pre-Spector stuff), although of course 50-year-old memories of trivia aren't gold standard for accuracy. Timi Yuro would be another example, except that, unlike Bill and Bobby, she had very brown eyes. Her album of soulful renditions of country songs (yeah, Ray very much got there first), Make the World Go Away (1963), was one of the first ten albums I bought, and still gets my vote as the best white soul album.

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 May 2018, 13:12

Mayer Hawthorne

Eli paperboy Reed
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 May 2018, 16:42

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Mayer Hawthorne

He's kinda gone away from it, but yeah, he's a good example.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 May 2018, 16:44

Muskrat wrote:I sent a lot of time in the kitchen (volunteered: it beat marching) during my brief stint in the Army, and was the only caucasian kid there most of the time. The other guys were nice enough to me, but they seemed generally suspicious of others of my ethnicity.

Still, one of their favorite records was the Rascals' "Groovin'." I remain convinced they had no idea that 3/4 of the band was Italian/American.

I listen to a fair amount of R&B of all eras. I always thought it was the chord structures that made R&B sound different, but it isn't really. I've learned a lot of older songs on guitar and the chord structures are pretty basic. It's how they play them and what they add to them.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 May 2018, 16:51

mission wrote:Like Nev, I always assumed it referred to 70s music performed by white folk who grew up with and were emulating classic 60s soul but infused it with more pure pop elements and gave it a glossy sheen.

Hall and Oates' really shiny stuff was huge with black audiences. No MJ without HO.

Hall and Oates were the Billy Cunningham and Jason Williams of blue-eyed soul. Billy Cunningham was a New York City basketball player that grew up in Brooklyn and played NYC playgrounds with black guys. He played a black style of basketball, which is very different than the white game.

Jason Williams was known as white chocolate - say no more.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 May 2018, 18:52

sloopjohnc wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:Mayer Hawthorne

He's kinda gone away from it, but yeah, he's a good example.

yeah I know it. his first couple are good.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 31 May 2018, 20:43

White boys doing EW&F~

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Yakety Yak”