Sucking in the Seventies

Do talk back

?

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
38%
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
54%
Harlem Shuffle
8%

Total votes: 13

Mike Boom

Re: Sucking in the Seventies

Postby Mike Boom » 24 May 2018, 14:52

Its the vocals innit , the Stones never had those great Beatle harmonies and both Lennon and Macca were better singers than Jagger.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 May 2018, 15:56

The Beatles were also better players at that point.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 May 2018, 15:59

BOLLY BEE wrote:so what made the Fabs' covers so much better? 'Rock and Roll Music', 'You Really Got A Hold On Me', 'Boys', 'Anna' all beat the originals, to my ears.

Proof positive that your ears are wrong
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 May 2018, 17:52

Mike Boom wrote:Its the vocals innit , the Stones never had those great Beatle harmonies and both Lennon and Macca were better singers than Jagger.

oh, MAN, do I disagree even though I agree. no, the Stones didn't have those great Beatles harmonies. yeah, lennon & Mc were both better singers than Jagger. here's where I disagree... I think "Not Fade Away", "Around & Around", "Route 66" and maybe any other covers I can think of from those early days totally ROCK!!!!!

I love the Stones and those early covers are a strong part of what I love about them. Beatles were better players, better singers, bla bla bla. yeah, so what? ;)
the Stones covers have something. it's not really balls. maybe the word I'm looking for is "enthusiasm". whatever it is -- it's for me.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 May 2018, 18:00

BOLLY BEE wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:Any time - at any stage of their career - Jagger is given room to stretch out vocally, it's a fucking disaster. That goes for covers and their own songs.

Would you include "Sympathy..." in this assessment?

I'm not a huge fan of that one. But there's a lot going on behind the vocal - rhythmically, especially. It seems to spur him on. And the words are important - he's got a lot to get out. So there's less mewling and meowing.

Something like 'Wild Horses', tho' - I can hardly listen.

The first song I think of in this vein is The Girl with Faraway Eyes. It's beyond parody.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2018, 18:02

I'm not even sure the Beatles were better musicians.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 24 May 2018, 20:15

sneelock wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:Its the vocals innit , the Stones never had those great Beatle harmonies and both Lennon and Macca were better singers than Jagger.

oh, MAN, do I disagree even though I agree. no, the Stones didn't have those great Beatles harmonies. yeah, lennon & Mc were both better singers than Jagger. here's where I disagree... I think "Not Fade Away", "Around & Around", "Route 66" and maybe any other covers I can think of from those early days totally ROCK!!!!!

I love the Stones and those early covers are a strong part of what I love about them. Beatles were better players, better singers, bla bla bla. yeah, so what? ;)
the Stones covers have something. it's not really balls. maybe the word I'm looking for is "enthusiasm". whatever it is -- it's for me.

I agree totally that the Stones had their own thing happening, for me that really started blossoming around 68 and while I'm not a huge fan of their cover versions the Stones certainly didn't die with Brian Jones.

Sticky Fingers
Exile on Mainstreet
Goats Head Soup
Its Only Rock n Roll
Black and Blue
Some Girls

is a pretty fantastic seventies in my book, I love those all those albums, including Jaggers vocals.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 May 2018, 20:20

Bent Fabric wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:so what made the Fabs' covers so much better?

I dunno. Personnel?

Arrangements.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 May 2018, 20:21

Matt Wilson wrote:I'm not even sure the Beatles were better musicians.

They were in the early days.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 May 2018, 20:22

sloopjohnc wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
Would you include "Sympathy..." in this assessment?

I'm not a huge fan of that one. But there's a lot going on behind the vocal - rhythmically, especially. It seems to spur him on. And the words are important - he's got a lot to get out. So there's less mewling and meowing.

The first song I think of in this vein is The Girl with Faraway Eyes. It's beyond parody.

It is a parody. And brilliant.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 May 2018, 20:25

BOLLY BEE wrote:so what made the Fabs' covers so much better? 'Rock and Roll Music', 'You Really Got A Hold On Me', 'Boys', 'Anna' all beat the originals, to my ears.

Certainly true of money and soldier of love

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 24 May 2018, 20:30

Whether The Beatles or Stones were "better" players is hard to say, but The Beatles' covers were usually done with a lot of energy. The drumming on, for example, "Boys" and "Please Mr. Postman" is really strong. The Stones specialized in coolness and vibe and weren't about to break a sweat. Often it worked in their favor, but in general it didn't add to the covers.

The idea that Jagger was (almost) always worse when he had space to emote is interesting. I think it happens to all kinds of singers when they find their sound. They immediately start to copy themselves, to become a parody of themselves basically, and serve the song less. Thus, a song like "Rocks Off", which is challenging just to get through satisfactorily, Jagger carries of beautifully because he doesn't have time to ad lib things. But talking songs ("Far Away Eyes") and the like are weakened because there's less song to sing, and he has to make up stuff. Pete Townshend is a case where at one time, as primarily a songwriter, he had a voice that was faulty but pure, and carried so much emotion. Once he learned to be a lead singer (mid-'80s), his voice no longer carried those emotions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 May 2018, 21:23

Positive Passion wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:

It is a parody. And brilliant.

It's no Joanna Newsom.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 May 2018, 21:57

All of this said, "I Wanna Be Your Man" (by either group - but, relevant to the original topic - by the Rolling Stones) is slammin'.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 May 2018, 22:32

I was about to say something very similar.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 May 2018, 07:03

sneelock wrote: I think "Not Fade Away", "Around & Around", "Route 66" and maybe any other covers I can think of from those early days totally ROCK!!!!!

I do too! They're so much fun. A party and a playlist of old Stones covers would tear the roof off!
Question authority.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 25 May 2018, 13:04

BOLLY BEE wrote:I was about to say something very similar.

Also, credit where its due:

Return to “Yakety Yak”