Buffalo Springfield! Better than Crosby, Stills, Nash...?

Do talk back

Which group do you prefer?

Buffalo Springfield
55%
Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
45%

Total votes: 31

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Buffalo Springfield! Better than Crosby, Stills, Nash...?

Postby naughty boy » 23 May 2018, 20:27

Goat Boy wrote:I voted BS just to piss Wilson off

I voted BS 'cos I prefer 'em.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 May 2018, 20:34

toomanyhatz wrote:Stills is easily the weak link by '73. Crosby/Nash brought out the best in each of them.

Bullshit. The '72 Manassas album provided most of the Stills songs on my '73 album.

And gash - why would we include Crazy Horse songs that Neil didn't write on a CSNY album?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 23 May 2018, 20:39

Why the fuck not? Every other fuckers getting involved :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 May 2018, 20:39

It makes no sense.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 May 2018, 20:42

Matt Wilson wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Stills is easily the weak link by '73. Crosby/Nash brought out the best in each of them.

Bullshit. The '72 Manassas album provided most of the Stills songs on my '73 album.

Evidence for the prosecution. One of the most overrated albums ever by anybody. "Johnny's Garden" is a good song. It pretty much stops there.

Stills was a great songwriter for about 2 years, then a good one for maybe 3 more. By the CSN album, Nash was the best songwriter of the three.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 23 May 2018, 20:43

You log on to BCB for sense?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 May 2018, 21:53

I'm warning the both of you. I have a 1975 CSNY double LP tracklist waiting to be posted.

Don't think I won't do it...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 May 2018, 22:08

toomanyhatz wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

Evidence for the prosecution. One of the most overrated albums ever by anybody.

False.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 23 May 2018, 22:15

Matt Wilson wrote:I'm warning the both of you. I have a 1975 CSNY double LP tracklist waiting to be posted.

Don't think I won't do it...

:shock:

"That government governs best that governs least."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 May 2018, 22:16

It's certainly not overrated by me!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2018, 00:10

You're talking with Dave, don't expect logic or good taste.

Just kiddin', Dave.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 24 May 2018, 14:52

hm CSN(Y) were better than BS but agree they really were more solo acts within a band format. The real question is are the solo albums better than CSNY together?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 May 2018, 15:49

If anyone's interested in Buffalo Springfield, there's a new box set coming out next month with the mono/stereo versions of the first two albums (first time for the mono BS Again on CD), plus Last Time Around. No bonus tracks, just the three LPs.

https://www.amazon.com/WHATS-SOUND-Comp ... that+sound

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 26 May 2018, 08:04

Matt Wilson wrote:I'm tellin' ya, Dave - they're both great. I've made playlists and listened to them.

Okay, I amaze myself that I had 99% of the tunes. I made the playlist and I'm off to the gym to try it out. Wonder how many reps I'll get out of "The Needle and the Damage Done?"
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2018, 18:24

Jimbo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:I'm tellin' ya, Dave - they're both great. I've made playlists and listened to them.

Okay, I amaze myself that I had 99% of the tunes. I made the playlist and I'm off to the gym to try it out. Wonder how many reps I'll get out of "The Needle and the Damage Done?"

Tell me what you think after listening to it for a few days. I'd be happy to make the playlist of both albums (and ones I made for 1975 and 1977) for any BCBer who wants it.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 May 2018, 03:03

Matt Wilson wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Tell me what you think after listening to it for a few days. I'd be happy to make the playlist of both albums (and ones I made for 1975 and 1977) for any BCBer who wants it.

I wish you hadn't asked. First and foremost is that that David Crosby IICORMN album sucks. I never liked it but thought that perhaps a new context would help. It doesn't. Rather than enjoying the flow I find myself thinking what shit songs they are and what a prat DC is. Next, I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days and again, I am thinking rather than grooving. Next, for Neil's part you have chosen almost all the songs off of one of the dreariest albums ever. I had held out and Harvest was the last NY album I acquired. Lastly and the best part was Stephen Stills and I especially like how you included the Manassas tunes. Nice touch! Speaking of Stills, coincidentally my wife and I went to a Shinjuku music bar and "Love The One You're With" came on and it's wonderful, especially on vinyl and played on the top of the line stereo upon which the bar prides itself. So I'm grooving and next to me is a guy (our age) grooving too and at the song's end, we give one another big smiles. Turns out he's a Stills "otaku," a Stills fan - Japanese style. He's shows me an old photo of himself (on his phone, of course) seated on a snowbank with guitar in hand mimicking the solo album cover. :D I guess my main criticism is that your list isn't upbeat enough. And that's where the original CSN&Y albums shine. There is a specialness to them specifically that the solo albums lack. I know, you are thinking, had CSN&Y performed the solos song they would have been better, but where they did perform together, like on some of the Stills first solo album it worked but, man, David's songs are throwaways and his lyrics - not to mention the two chord compositions - would have been more stoned ramblings and boring songs. Graham's politics would have been the same but more tolerable than Crosby's dreck. More fun Young songs would have helped. The good thing is I came away from your playlist a bigger SS fan than before.
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 May 2018, 03:44

If I Could Only Remember My Name is something of a cult classic these days, Jimbo. If you don't like it, then you're probably not really a Dave fan. I've got to include at least on Crosby song on each LP side just like the other three guys. I don't know which album of Neil's you're referring to as "one of the dreariest," but if you're referring to the 1973 album I made, then I guess you mean Harvest. Again, that's one of Neil's most popular albums, so I wasn't going to ignore it.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 May 2018, 08:34

Jimbo wrote:Next, I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days and again, I am thinking rather than grooving.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

TG

Postby TG » 28 May 2018, 22:39

I have no dog in this fight. I don’t know anything on those triple LPs that wasn’t a big radio hit. But I do find it amusing that as I read down the lists, almost every time I got to a silly or pretentious or asinine song title it was one of Crosby’s.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 28 May 2018, 23:13

TG wrote:I have no dog in this fight. I don’t know anything on those triple LPs that wasn’t a big radio hit. But I do find it amusing that as I read down the lists, almost every time I got to a silly or pretentious or asinine song title it was one of Crosby’s.

You missed "The Hour of Not Quite Rain," then?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”