Why does this song stick with us?

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Why does this song stick with us?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2018, 01:35

Over on FACEBOOK I enjoyed reading everyone’s favourite Eno moments on his birthday. Lots of people chose this of course. It is quite summat so that’s not surprising.
I was thinking about the things that always make me remember this song. They are:

1. The drums actually. They’re like a happy child skipping
2. The song begins as though it is an ending of a song - as if you have tuned in halfway through. Then you’re waiting for the vocal and you get a bit anxious waiting for it to come. As the song is maybe about an ending, that seems apt
3. ‘I’d die like a baby’ - still gives me a little chill. Not many people enjoy lumping those words together.

You?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Re: Why does this song stick with us?

Postby zoomboogity » 23 May 2018, 01:50

I was e-mailing someone today about songs that evoke the memories of midnight gatherings with friends on some faraway beach, so naturally this song came up. That entire album side is amazing - that segue into the final song makes me think of time going both forwards and backwards at the same time. It also has a muddier mix than his other three 1970s "rock" albums, which gives it that gauzy dreamlike feeling. It doesn't feel like you're on some faraway beach, you're just thinking about being there.

Speaking of that album side, an old musical partner of mine used to name his guitars. He got one that played so well (clean sound, perfect intonation, the whole ball of wax) that he named it Blank Frank. He could no longer blame his mistakes on faulty equipment, which made it "the messenger of his doom and his destruction." :D

"Quite."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 May 2018, 02:06

It seems to be made in layers -- the title track at the end of the side is similar -- when a new piano part is added each time through, or a new vocal or other instrument, then peeled away at the end -- but it actually works emotionally too. It's not just an experiment. Not sure if I can explain it very well. It's definitely the better for the vocal melody that he came up with. It might have just been "interesting" but it seems so right for those chords.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 May 2018, 09:29

it's the wee relative of Spider and I, half asleep as it drifts awaaasssssssyyyyyy.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2018, 12:42

You’ve all said different things, and they are all right! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 May 2018, 13:03

It just builds so expertly and all the individual elements (the piano hook, the sighing vocals, the drum fills etc) are so, so good they could go on forever. Crucially it holds off on the vocal for just the right amount of time so when it finally arrives there's just a huge release. It's beautiful and uplifting and immensely satisfying.

I know somebody who wants this played at their funeral and I feel the same. I mean lyrically it seems to be dealing with some kind of spiritual return to the sea anyway but the whole thing has that weary yet satisfied end-of-a-journey vibe to it that is really moving.

It's a great comedown song too.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 May 2018, 14:47

It's possibly the only song I know where the drums move you!

I think it's proper genius, the whole thing.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”