Artists that went to shit when they changed record labels

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Artists that went to shit when they changed record labels

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 May 2018, 21:55

Muskrat wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Yes, well, we don’t agree on everything, but I absolutely trust Matt to recommend the most exhaustive/necessary compilation covering a specific era for a canonical artist.

In the meantime, keep this in mind: when Charles signed with ABC, part of the deal was complete artistic control and ownership of his masters. That means whatever one thinks of his albums for the label, it's his doing. Also, he and/or his manager were pretty sharp businessmen.

After ABC, he put some albums out on his own Tangerine label, and leased the ABC catalog to Concord, which had a pretty strong, though not complete, reissue program several years ago. The deal ran out; and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has picked up the catalog, which has largely gone out of print.

Except: the UK companies who issue out of copyright stuff. There's loads of stuff out there. I won't recommend any, because Amazon US says they have small quantities of most of them, and God knows what's available (or what shape it's in) in other markets. But if you're going to spend relatively little money for five, or ten, or twenty albums -- what the hell?

And for God's sake, stay clear of the posthumous duet albums, and the one with the Basie band underdubbed. The only duet album he recorded under his own control was the one with Betty Carter, and it's terrific. (There's also a Porgy and Bess album with Cleo Laine, if you must).

I'm sure what Michael is referring to is this:

Five discs, all of the ABC 45s, both A&B sides in their original mono or stereo (depending) mixes. It's out of print now, of course. I don't know why all erstwhile BCBers don't jump on this kind of thing when it's first released, because you never know when it'll be gone.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 17 May 2018, 22:33

I have that. As a download, I must admit, but it's great.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 May 2018, 22:37

Matt Wilson wrote:
Muskrat wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Yes, well, we don’t agree on everything, but I absolutely trust Matt to recommend the most exhaustive/necessary compilation covering a specific era for a canonical artist.

In the meantime, keep this in mind: when Charles signed with ABC, part of the deal was complete artistic control and ownership of his masters. That means whatever one thinks of his albums for the label, it's his doing. Also, he and/or his manager were pretty sharp businessmen.

After ABC, he put some albums out on his own Tangerine label, and leased the ABC catalog to Concord, which had a pretty strong, though not complete, reissue program several years ago. The deal ran out; and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has picked up the catalog, which has largely gone out of print.

Except: the UK companies who issue out of copyright stuff. There's loads of stuff out there. I won't recommend any, because Amazon US says they have small quantities of most of them, and God knows what's available (or what shape it's in) in other markets. But if you're going to spend relatively little money for five, or ten, or twenty albums -- what the hell?

And for God's sake, stay clear of the posthumous duet albums, and the one with the Basie band underdubbed. The only duet album he recorded under his own control was the one with Betty Carter, and it's terrific. (There's also a Porgy and Bess album with Cleo Laine, if you must).

Five discs, all of the ABC 45s, both A&B sides in their original mono or stereo (depending) mixes. It's out of print now, of course. I don't know why all erstwhile BCBers don't jump on this kind of thing when it's first released, because you never know when it'll be gone.

Yeah, that’s the one. I don’t buy this stuff when it comes out because I don’t have the disposable income to buy everything that comes out that I’m not immediately interested in but will probably want to hear five years down the road.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2018, 22:54

Matt Wilson wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

There are five copies available on Amazon starting at $218 going to $500.

I stopped wanting it at $218.

Discogs might have some available.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 May 2018, 23:25

:lol:

Yeah to hell with that! I’m pretty sure I could just collect all the original 7”s for less money.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 May 2018, 21:43

Zappa when he left Verve.

What?

:)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 31 May 2018, 12:27

Count Machuki wrote:Zappa when he left Verve.

What?

:)

Certainly my belief.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 May 2018, 13:06

The Beatles when they left Parlophone?
a bunch of dudes jamming but some of the abrupt edits serve as a reminder it owes a lot to technology. It finds ***** distancing himself from his musical past, but it sounds equally far from the dense abstraction his music would take on later

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Jul 2018, 22:45

Nobody got cheeky and nominated the Stones?

Fine. When Metallica left Megaforce.

The Who after Decca/Track

T. Rex after Fly.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.