Artists that went to shit when they changed record labels

Do talk back
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Artists that went to shit when they changed record labels

Postby Count Machuki » 16 May 2018, 17:57

Bent Fabric wrote:Certainly David Geffen must have felt that Elton John, Donna Summer, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell were all suddenly laying nothing but rotten eggs especially for him and his new label in the early 1980s.

Well, there's your problem right there.
Hard to separate a label switch and your garden-variety "victim of the 80s" syndrome.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 16 May 2018, 18:23

sloopjohnc wrote:
LeBaron wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:It happens, right?

Honestly, the inspiration behind the thread was Ray Charles. His Atlantic stuff is smokin' hot, then suddenly he signs to ABC, goes all uptown, and everything falls off (I'm being a bit harsh here, but whatever).

I had a bunch of examples last night but they've all flown out of my mind.

Little help?

Ray Charles on ABC is actually on my to buy list. I’m interested. I recall Matt Wilson recommending a double or triple cd. One of these days!

Remember the source.

;)

Yes, well, we don’t agree on everything, but I absolutely trust Matt to recommend the most exhaustive/necessary compilation covering a specific era for a canonical artist.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 16 May 2018, 19:08

When Sparks left Island for Columbia.

"Quite."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 May 2018, 20:54

Count Machuki wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:The Kinks AKA The Kinks all grown up and shit.

Of course! I keep trying to give those Arista albums a chance (they're in dollar bins) but I'm invariably very underwhelmed.

See also Iggy Pop. I enjoy New Values, and Soldier to some extent, but he certainly never re-scaled his RCA heights, to say nothing of his work with The Stooges, after leaving that label.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 May 2018, 20:59

Count Machuki wrote:

Of course! I keep trying to give those Arista albums a chance (they're in dollar bins) but I'm invariably very underwhelmed.

Except they had already gone to shit after the move to RCA.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 May 2018, 21:08

Thelonious Monk lost his edge after signing with Columbia, I think. I thought that most of the major "alternative" groups that jumped to majors between '85 and '92 or so managed to record one or two good albums for their new labels, actually.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 May 2018, 21:12

LeBaron wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:It happens, right?

Honestly, the inspiration behind the thread was Ray Charles. His Atlantic stuff is smokin' hot, then suddenly he signs to ABC, goes all uptown, and everything falls off (I'm being a bit harsh here, but whatever).

I had a bunch of examples last night but they've all flown out of my mind.

Little help?

Ray Charles on ABC is actually on my to buy list. I’m interested. I recall Matt Wilson recommending a double or triple cd. One of these days!

Charles was on a pretty high perch when he left Atlantic. He “fell” far enough to look down on all the other mortals from a moderately lower height.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 May 2018, 21:13

How about Neil Young at Geffen?

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 16 May 2018, 21:24

Hawks and Doves? Re-ac-tor? Nah, Geffen knew what he was getting which made the lawsuit even sillier.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 16 May 2018, 21:24

LeBaron wrote:Yes, well, we don’t agree on everything, but I absolutely trust Matt to recommend the most exhaustive/necessary compilation covering a specific era for a canonical artist.

In the meantime, keep this in mind: when Charles signed with ABC, part of the deal was complete artistic control and ownership of his masters. That means whatever one thinks of his albums for the label, it's his doing. Also, he and/or his manager were pretty sharp businessmen.

After ABC, he put some albums out on his own Tangerine label, and leased the ABC catalog to Concord, which had a pretty strong, though not complete, reissue program several years ago. The deal ran out; and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has picked up the catalog, which has largely gone out of print.

Except: the UK companies who issue out of copyright stuff. There's loads of stuff out there. I won't recommend any, because Amazon US says they have small quantities of most of them, and God knows what's available (or what shape it's in) in other markets. But if you're going to spend relatively little money for five, or ten, or twenty albums -- what the hell?

And for God's sake, stay clear of the posthumous duet albums, and the one with the Basie band underdubbed. The only duet album he recorded under his own control was the one with Betty Carter, and it's terrific. (There's also a Porgy and Bess album with Cleo Laine, if you must).
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 May 2018, 21:39

bobzilla77 wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
Replacements in a similar situation?

I'm basing this on music nerd chatter...I don't know them well enough to have a firm opinion.

I would argue that their sweet spot straddles the label change - so many other factors to consider...Bob Stinson being THEIR Cliff Burton is one...Westerberg possibly having an extremely brief peak as a songwriter/record maker.

Yeah I regard Replacements' Let It Be, Tim and Pleased to Meet Me as being of a piece - their "adult but not yet old" period, and I love that stuff.

That's a good way to put it. I really enjoy those three too.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 May 2018, 22:58

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:How about Neil Young at Geffen?

I just listened to the live album by Neil's country band the other day! It was good - better than the Old Ways album for sure.

And I rate Trans as one of his most interesting records ever. It's a whiff in some ways, he didn't stick to the concept and watered it down, but it's not shit. And Life is a half decent Crazy Horse album.

He is generally better on Warners, I wouldn't argue that point.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 May 2018, 23:00

First thing that came to mind when I saw the title was, Beefheart on Mercury.

I know those albums have been recommended for re-consideration, said to be "nowhere near as bad as people think they are", but I haven't managed to find their charms.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 May 2018, 01:28

bobzilla77 wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:How about Neil Young at Geffen?

I just listened to the live album by Neil's country band the other day! It was good - better than the Old Ways album for sure.

And I rate Trans as one of his most interesting records ever. It's a whiff in some ways, he didn't stick to the concept and watered it down, but it's not shit. And Life is a half decent Crazy Horse album.

He is generally better on Warners, I wouldn't argue that point.

I don’t disagree. But it’s a MUCH steeper fall than Ray Charles’ post Atlantic records.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 17 May 2018, 07:26

The obvious example is Bowie when he left RCA.
Now I have a lot of sympathy with his desire to make some big bucks after being ripped off by various managers in the 70’s. I can also see why he would present commercial material to EMI America in order to secure the deal. Let’s face it, presenting an album like Low to them would have seriously dented his bargaining power.
I also know a lot of folk rate Let’s Dance. I have little love for the track itself, but I can see the attraction. But what is left on the album? Of the eight tracks, three are covers, one is called ‘Shake It’ (This from the man who wrote Life On Mars?) and another features Bowie narrating limp social commentary in a Welsh accent!!

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 17 May 2018, 10:46

pcqgod wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Except they had already gone to shit after the move to RCA.

As soon as I saw The Kinks mentioned on this thread I was sure this comment was bound to happen. I disagree, though. Their first album on RCA, Muswell Hillbillies is definitely one of their best IMO. And the studio record on Everybody's in Showbiz is pretty decent too. Then I know I'm alone in defending their theatrical period, so I won't argue any further.

Truth is that, much as I hate to admit it, their history after their 66-68 peak is one of ever diminishing returns, Pye > RCA > Arista >> MCA. Although I think that their last proper album was much better than those preceding it, albeit suffering from the 90s overlength syndrome.
Nobody's ferpect.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 17 May 2018, 12:40

Nervous Ned wrote:The obvious example is Bowie when he left RCA.

Yeah, very much so. Whatever one makes of his trajectory at RCA (for me, there's generally magic throughout), the distance between "Ashes to Ashes" and the remainder of his 1980s is considerable.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 17 May 2018, 13:51

For me, the Replacements' excellence is spread all across the career. The only bad one is Don't Tell a Soul, but that's Westerberg's fault, not Sire's, and even that has some great songs on it. The last one, All Shook Down, is great, in a bummer sort of way.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 May 2018, 16:46

Osgood wrote:As soon as I saw The Kinks mentioned on this thread I was sure this comment was bound to happen. I disagree, though. Their first album on RCA, Muswell Hillbillies is definitely one of their best IMO. And the studio record on Everybody's in Showbiz is pretty decent too. Then I know I'm alone in defending their theatrical period, so I won't argue any further.

Truth is that, much as I hate to admit it, their history after their 66-68 peak is one of ever diminishing returns, Pye > RCA > Arista >> MCA. Although I think that their last proper album was much better than those preceding it, albeit suffering from the 90s overlength syndrome.

Well, yeah 'Hillbillies' is great.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 May 2018, 16:52

Beefheart on Virgin for me too, although he was on his way down before then, but the two that came to my mind were Chuck Berry to Mercury (although his real nadir was back on Chess) and Little Richard leaving Specialty. Jerry Lee leaving Sun was a big step down too, although not exactly shit.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will