"Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: "Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer

Postby Muskrat » 18 May 2018, 18:05

Dr Markus wrote:Though I've always believed quintessential british based films should have british directors. I don't know why, I just think so.

Like A Hard Day’s Night? The Knack? Help!
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

`

Postby ` » 18 May 2018, 18:12

Dr Markus wrote:Still amazing that dexter fletcher of press gang and hotel Babylon "fame" is directing a big movie like this. Where did he come from? Though I've always believed quintessential british based films should have british directors. I don't know why, I just think so.

He's done a couple of low budget movies that have been very well received by film critics. Think that this is going to die a death though. Aside from Spinal Tap and to a lesser extent Privilege which were both fictional piss takes/satires, cannot think of one rockband docu-drama that hasn't sucked logs.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 18 May 2018, 18:16

caramba wrote:Aside from Spinal Tap and to a lesser extent Privilege which were both fictional piss takes/satires, cannot think of one rockband docu-drama that hasn't sucked logs.

You're not really the audience. For every one of you there's a hundred paying customers who'll go and enjoy the film without worrying about how inauthentic it is.

Classic Albums/Under Review is more your speed.

`

Postby ` » 18 May 2018, 18:55

Tactful Cactus wrote:
caramba wrote:Aside from Spinal Tap and to a lesser extent Privilege which were both fictional piss takes/satires, cannot think of one rockband docu-drama that hasn't sucked logs.

You're not really the audience. For every one of you there's a hundred paying customers who'll go and enjoy the film without worrying about how inauthentic it is.

Classic Albums/Under Review is more your speed.

True, but how many of these things actually make money?

For every Great Balls of Fire and I Walk the Line, there's a dodgy Hendrix or
Stones bio where they can't even get the rights to the music which sorta deefeats
the object.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2018, 19:25

caramba wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Still amazing that dexter fletcher of press gang and hotel Babylon "fame" is directing a big movie like this. Where did he come from? Though I've always believed quintessential british based films should have british directors. I don't know why, I just think so.

He's done a couple of low budget movies that have been very well received by film critics. Think that this is going to die a death though. Aside from Spinal Tap and to a lesser extent Privilege which were both fictional piss takes/satires, cannot think of one rockband docu-drama that hasn't sucked logs.

I still haven't seen the whole thing, but the makers of the recent Brian Wilson pic Love and Mercy paid great attention to period detail, getting just the right years of amps and equipment and clothes. It definitely makes it better, and seems like it justifies whatever liberties the filmmaker may want to take with character portrayal -- it's a film after all, not a documentary. That's usually the problem I have with these films, not that they don't portray the people a certain way, but that they don't get the basic details right, so why bother watching it? It's just somebody's half-assed fantasy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 18 May 2018, 19:49

caramba wrote:For every Great Balls of Fire and I Walk the Line, there's a dodgy Hendrix or Stones bio where they can't even get the rights to the music which sorta deefeats the object.

"I Walk the Line" was largely a fantasy. It may have been a good movie (I didn't like it, but others certainly did), but it got the details all wrong. "Ray" was infinitely better as a historical document, though of course there were liberties taken.

"Walk Hard" was entirely fictitional, but it remains my choice as best rock biopic. "Spinal Tap" at #2.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 May 2018, 20:26

I did like Love and Mercy, probably as much as it is possible to like one of those films.

I kind of hope they never do the Keith Moon one when I'm alive. I'd have to watch and it would have to be awful. Right? THere's like no way you make a good job of a Keith Moon biopic no matter who you get to star in it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2018, 20:37

bobzilla77 wrote:I did like Love and Mercy, probably as much as it is possible to like one of those films.

I kind of hope they never do the Keith Moon one when I'm alive. I'd have to watch and it would have to be awful. Right? THere's like no way you make a good job of a Keith Moon biopic no matter who you get to star in it.

But if they rebuilt Tara House down to the last detail as one of the sets, that would be pretty fucking cool, right? Movies have financial resources to do cool things. Unfortunately, they rarely use the money for the right things.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 May 2018, 21:00

bobzilla77 wrote:I did like Love and Mercy, probably as much as it is possible to like one of those films.

I think it would be absolutely cringe-worthy to watch someone not only try to play drums like Moon, but act like him at the same time. Hmm, now I'm looking forward to it...
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2018, 22:46

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

I think it would be absolutely cringe-worthy to watch someone not only try to play drums like Moon, but act like him at the same time. Hmm, now I'm looking forward to it...

Last edited by Quaco on 18 May 2018, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 May 2018, 22:48

:D
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”