Tell me about Arab Strap

Do talk back
blindlemonjefferson

Tell me about Arab Strap

Postby blindlemonjefferson » 11 May 2018, 01:51

Worth exploring?
dimitri wrote:but you just have to expect that i will get you back in the near future when you least expect it

Insouciant Western People

Re: Tell me about Arab Strap

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 May 2018, 07:43

Very definitely.

Try these and if you like what you hear, get hold of the albums they come from, then go from there :D

Both Malcolm & Aidan have done solo albums and been involved in other bands, most of which is well worth hearing too. Especially Malcolm's five solo records under his own name, which are largely wonderful.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 May 2018, 07:45

I have a huge soft spot for Malcolm's oddly-titled side band Human Don't Be Angry.

For people who think they're just dour, miserable buggers, this is a lovely and quirky pop tune which just builds and builds.

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 May 2018, 08:27

Insouciant Western People wrote:Very definitely.

Try these and if you like what you hear, get hold of the albums they come from, then go from there :D

Both Malcolm & Aidan have done solo albums and been involved in other bands, most of which is well worth hearing too. Especially Malcolm's five solo records under his own name, which are largely wonderful.

Those were way better than I expected, I might have to track an album or two down. A very distinctive, individual sound they have.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 11 May 2018, 09:24

Dark and lurid vignettes about drinking, drugs, sex and the emptiness which can accompany them.....The first couple of albums are brooding and sparse affairs, but they became more musically complex as they went along...Start with 'The Last Romance' and work your way back...Probably their most accessible album...

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 12 May 2018, 22:05

I would be a bit wary. I bought a single as it had a rude picture on the cover, and bought two albums because I met the singer, and nothing on them is especially worthwhile.

However the Aidan Wells and Bill Moffatt album is a personal favourite: