19%

Total votes: 42

sloopjohnc

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 17:57

K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Don't conflate the man with the persona presented by his songs, which was all I was talking about

One of the heroes of flight 93, one of the passengers who took down the plane in a field before terrorists could crash it into something else, was Mark Bingham, a star rugby player at University of California, Berkeley. He was 6' 4" and 225 lbs. Bingham also just happened to be gay.

As low Ng as you are referencing Rayge and not me. At no point was I saying sports were incompatible with homosexuality. I was noting that's being a "pansy" (eg lacking strength of character) was at odds with being "quietly authoritative".

It wasn't a specific response to anyone - just that you can't judge a book by its cover.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 17:58

K wrote:As low Ng as you are referencing Rayge and not me. At no point was I saying sports were incompatible with homosexuality. I was noting that's being a "pansy" (eg lacking strength of character) was at odds with being "quietly authoritative".

Typing when enraged, always a good idea :lol:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:09

K wrote:Probably wasn't a "pansy" if Coan means "weak and wet"

K wrote:I was noting that's being a "pansy" (eg lacking strength of character) was at odds with being "quietly authoritative".

Are these your definitions of ‘pansy’? Seem a tad...homophobic?

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 May 2018, 18:16

sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:
K wrote:He developed an interest in sport, becoming an accomplished sprinter over 100 and 200 yards, representing the school's Open Team in 1966. He played rugby for the C1 House team and was appointed a House Captain in his last two terms. School friends recall Drake at this time as having been confident and "quietly authoritative", while often aloof in his manner

Don't conflate the man with the persona presented by his songs, which was all I was talking about

One of the heroes of flight 93, one of the passengers who took down the plane in a field before terrorists could crash it into something else, was Mark Bingham, a star rugby player at University of California, Berkeley. He was 6' 4" and 225 lbs. Bingham also just happened to be gay.

Thanks for that, John, but at no point have I suggested that anyone was gay, or that if they were there was anything wrong with it, or that, in fact, one can deduce anything at all from a person's sexuality other than who they like to fuck.
My problem with Nick Drake has nothing to do with his sexuality (about which I know nothing, and care less), just that when friends played me his music in the early 1970s (I certainly never listened to any of it since) I did not like it, and formed the opinion that while he was a nimble musician, his SONGS were self-referential and precious and not directed at me, while his whole image was one I found relentlessly bourgeois, over-delicate and childlike in a not-good way (pretty much my objections to prog, since I put it like that). This was the time of the acoustic singer-songwriter, and I didn't like any of them of them much, at least not the men. I liked Spector punk and balls-out rock and roll at the time, and the sound on their records was so fucking weedy. James Taylor? Tim Hardin? Tim Rose? Give it a fucking rest. If someone played me a Nick Drake record now, I couldn't pick it out of a line-up of similar fare, I'm sure, but generally, if I'm going to listen to a male voice and acoustic guitar, the songs are going to have to be really engaging, and his weren't.
Whereas Arthur and Syd (anyone care what their sexuality was? - I certainly don't give a shit), at more or less the same time, made records that had something at least to do with rock & roll; they excited and intrigued me, and I continued to listen to well into my 60s. So I voted for Arthur.
Sheesh ;)
Last edited by Rayge on 07 May 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:22

K wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:
K wrote:Probably wasn't a "pansy" if Coan means "weak and wet"

K wrote:I was noting that's being a "pansy" (eg lacking strength of character) was at odds with being "quietly authoritative".

Are these your definitions of ‘pansy’? Seem a tad...homophobic?

That's because you're a fucking tit.

pansy noun (pansies)
1 any of various species of violet, native to Europe, which have flat flowers with five rounded white, yellow or purple petals
2. a soft bluish purple
3. offensive slang an effeminate man or boy
4. a male homosexual.
ETYMOLOGY: 15c: from French pensée thought.

So a male homosexual is characterised by a lack of strength of character, could be said to be weak and wet and can’t be quietly authoritative?

Or, in your view are those terms synonymous with effeminacy?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 May 2018, 18:25

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:28

sloopjohnc wrote:you can't judge a book by its cover.

Even this one?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:29

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Image

Mon Calamari-ist!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:31

K wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:
K wrote:That's because you're a fucking tit.

So a male homosexual is characterised by a lack of strength of character, could be said to be weak and wet and can’t be quietly authoritative?

Or, in your view are those terms synonymous with effeminacy?

Not my words, Carol, the words of Chambers dictionary

effeminate (adj)
1. Womanish
2. Unmanly
3. Weak
4. Soft
5. Voluptuous
6. Feminine (Shakespeare)

Perhaps you'd be better off asking which definition of "pansy" Coan meant. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was "effeminate" even though he said Drake was a "puff". I assumed that was a joke.

Ah, you’re a misogynist and a homophobe. Nice combination.

Did you react like this to Fartpants?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 May 2018, 18:34

Drake couldn't half play guitar , I enjoy him in small doses. Syd is highly rated round here but it's just the sound of Edward Lear after too many sherbets . Arthur hits the most highs and truly made some great music.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 May 2018, 18:36

Pansy is a flower and gay means happy , hope this helps.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:37

:)

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:38

Lear on sherbets? Sounds fucking ace!

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 May 2018, 18:39

gash on ignore wrote:Lear on sherbets? Sounds fucking ace!

It should be , alas.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:44

There once was a bald man named Hodgson
Who always, it seemed, had a strop on
His job was to judge
Those that he held a grudge
That frightful old bald man named Hodgson.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 18:49

There once was a fellow called Drake
Whose words mimsied out as he spake
Though he took up the plank
‘Twas assumed it was flank,
Not fanny, he liked to love-make.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 19:21

Rayge wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Thanks for that, John, but at no point have I suggested that anyone was gay, or that if they were there was anything wrong with it, or that, in fact, one can deduce anything at all from a person's sexuality other than who they like to fuck.
My problem with Nick Drake has nothing to do with his sexuality (about which I know nothing, and care less), just that when friends played me his music in the early 1970s (I certainly never listened to any of it since) I did not like it, and formed the opinion that while he was a nimble musician, his SONGS were self-referential and precious and not directed at me, while his whole image was one I found relentlessly bourgeois, over-delicate and childlike in a not-good way (pretty much my objections to prog, since I put it like that). This was the time of the acoustic singer-songwriter, and I didn't like any of them of them much, at least not the men. I liked Spector punk and balls-out rock and roll at the time, and the sound on their records was so fucking weedy. James Taylor? Tim Hardin? Tim Rose? Give it a fucking rest. If someone played me a Nick Drake record now, I couldn't pick it out of a line-up of similar fare, I'm sure, but generally, if I'm going to listen to a male voice and acoustic guitar, the songs are going to have to be really engaging, and his weren't.
Whereas Arthur and Syd (anyone care what their sexuality was? - I certainly don't give a shit), at more or less the same time, made records that had something at least to do with rock & roll; they excited and intrigued me, and I continued to listen to well into my 60s. So I voted for Arthur.
Sheesh ;)

As I wrote, it wasn't aimed at anyone.

I scanned the response about Drake being an athlete when younger as response to him being a pansy in his playing and immediately thought of Mark Bingham. His own mom had problems with him coming out.

If interested, here's a mini-documentary on the guy: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17403649

And I'm not piling on Coan either.

I'm sure he regrets the comment, hopefully, and it was just a glib description.

But the PC police seem to have their APB out and are looking to close the perimeter.

People say and write stupid stuff sometimes. I'm not going to hold an off-hand comment on here against someone.

If I really had a problem, I'd send them a PM anyway. Off the radar.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 19:33

Stolid, dependable, unwavering heterosexuality in excelsis.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 May 2018, 19:42

gash on ignore wrote:Lear on sherbets? Sounds fucking ace!

Yeah check it out!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 19:50

I ain’t eating no Salmon Pink ice cream man. Does it come in Airforce Blue?