Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Do talk back

Well?

Arthur
18
43%
Nick
16
38%
Roger
8
19%
 
Total votes: 42

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 2250
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Purgatory Brite » 07 May 2018, 12:38

Blatant homophobia on BCB? Once again Coan scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 07 May 2018, 13:28

Bald people who miss the point #346
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32779
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Goat Boy » 07 May 2018, 13:43

I voted for that Roger fella.

The greatest double whammy in single history, fucking Piper and the solo stuff which is patchy but has some wonderful gems too.

People are really underselling Drake though
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2934
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 May 2018, 14:06

Syd's particular type of singularity (Piper, the first two singles, the late '67 tracks) is just such a beacon of magic to me. He was always going to be my front-runner here.

It was close with Love, whom I do adore and listen to a LOT.

And, yeah - Drake is Drake. Utterly magnificent, but...perhaps muted enough in his way that he was never going to stand a chance against these two.

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 8888
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby WG Kaspar » 07 May 2018, 14:45

Nick Drake for me. I can't think of anything he's done that I don't like. The other two are slightly overrated.
I run out of talent

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Butch Manly » 07 May 2018, 15:33

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:He was a puff


Fuck me, I seem to have stumbled into 1973 by mistake. Do you have any views on Arthur Lee's skin colour, by the way?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 07 May 2018, 15:48

No homework to mark, lads?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2743
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Mike Boom » 07 May 2018, 15:59

The "Pansy" appears to be winning - #Pansy Power, #Pansies Rock

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13661
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Rayge » 07 May 2018, 16:10

K wrote:Coan doesn't like him, so that's reason enough.
Getting Rayge in that is a bonus.

Charming.
Glad to see the money your parents spent on that Swiss finishing school didn't go to waste.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13661
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Rayge » 07 May 2018, 16:10

German Dave wrote:Do you have any views on Arthur Lee's skin colour, by the way?

Kind of beige?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2743
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Mike Boom » 07 May 2018, 16:12

ooo ooh a sudden surge of voting for Arthur :lol:

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17034
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 16:14

The pro-Coan lobby will always abide.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13661
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Rayge » 07 May 2018, 16:15

K wrote:He developed an interest in sport, becoming an accomplished sprinter over 100 and 200 yards, representing the school's Open Team in 1966. He played rugby for the C1 House team and was appointed a House Captain in his last two terms. School friends recall Drake at this time as having been confident and "quietly authoritative", while often aloof in his manner


Don't conflate the man with the persona presented by his songs, which was all I was talking about


And as an aside, while I don't support Coan's tinkerishly provocative use of terms often applied derogatively to homosexuals, the idea that playing bugry is somehow evidence of rugged heterosexuality is risible.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17034
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 16:28

I sense a third flounce :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 07 May 2018, 16:38

Not while the wife's out
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13661
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Rayge » 07 May 2018, 16:53

K wrote:
Rayge wrote:Ah, but I didn't say that did I? I was comparing "pansy" with "weak and wet". I clearly wrote that, but you go ahead and argue against me about something I didn't write. Perhaps turn it into a couple of hilariously loquacious paragraphs and then get an alias to agree with you. The odd funny word (eg "bugry") goes down well too.


And I'm saying the fact that he may has been a sporty adolescent and not weak and wet doesn't mean that his song persona is not weak and wet, not to mention precious and mimsy. So what I wrote addressed your point pointedly.

And as I have said many times before all my atlases are out, and none of them 'agree with me' on this or any other subject, but then again you never believe what I write, do you, even when an admin (Prof, another of my aliases) confirms it?

And while both loquacity and hilarity are trademarks of my posts, in this thread they've been terse to the point of coaninanity, so I'm not sure what that's about ;)
Last edited by Rayge on 07 May 2018, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63781
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 17:21

Mike Boom wrote:The "Pansy" appears to be winning - #Pansy Power, #Pansies Rock




Famous San Francisco punk rock band. Green Day had them open on their first big tour, I believe.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17034
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby clive gash » 07 May 2018, 17:24



One of John’s faves.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63781
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 17:25

Rayge wrote:
K wrote:He developed an interest in sport, becoming an accomplished sprinter over 100 and 200 yards, representing the school's Open Team in 1966. He played rugby for the C1 House team and was appointed a House Captain in his last two terms. School friends recall Drake at this time as having been confident and "quietly authoritative", while often aloof in his manner


Don't conflate the man with the persona presented by his songs, which was all I was talking about


One of the heroes of flight 93, one of the passengers who took down the plane in a field before terrorists could crash it into something else, was Mark Bingham, a star rugby player at University of California, Berkeley. He was 6' 4" and 225 lbs. Bingham also just happened to be gay.

Image
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Thang-y

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Thang-y » 07 May 2018, 17:28

Image

Every time.