38%
Roger
19%

Total votes: 42

Quaco
F R double E

Re: Arthur Lee v Nick Drake v Syd Barrett

Postby Quaco » 09 May 2018, 00:32

Other people to avoid from the pages of the Recycler: people who mention Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, or jazz (who aren't actually jazz players).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 May 2018, 00:53

Quaco wrote:Other people to avoid from the pages of the Recycler: people who mention Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, or jazz (who aren't actually jazz players).

There is a much venerated, eternally cultish, freakishly talented veteran of American Music™ (loved as much by yer trad arr houserockin' blandos as he is by Shaggs...or even Syd enthusiasts) who introduced to me the following phrase (describing audiences): "They're liking it wrong."

It's real. Certainly something I feel resonating even in my own modest musical life.

I've known the musicians who absolutely believe themselves to be "blowin' Trane" who couldn't find the approximate neighborhood of a sympathetic tempo or groove if you bribed them. You'll never be able to tell them that they themselves aren't Can or Hawkwind, but...here we are.

The Who? Yeah - as great as anything that I'll ever love, but...I've mostly seen that badge worn by people who stopped at the parka and never even made it to "Sparks".

Syd-era Floyd will always nourish me as the direly needed antithesis of a certain "ambient toxic drabness", but there's really no arguing with the basic premise that the greater/more singular the art, the more warily one might consider claims of influence.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 May 2018, 01:12

Basically, Davey's wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 09 May 2018, 01:17

well, sorry to bring influence into it but only half into it ("half the equation")
I like Syd's thing. I know it's not for everybody but it's for me.
I do like that it's obviously also more than a passing influence on artists I like ( I'm thinking Bowie and Robyn Hitchcock mainly)
I'm not a musician so I don't have to deal with anybody trying to get into the Sneelock Experience and souring me on their influences.
lucky me.
uggy poopy doody.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 May 2018, 01:23

Quaco wrote:Basically, Davey's wrong.

You bastard!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 May 2018, 03:40

Quaco wrote:Other people to avoid from the pages of the Recycler: people who mention Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, or jazz (who aren't actually jazz players).

:(
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 May 2018, 07:06

Rayge wrote:... terse to the point of coaninanity ...

Now that made me chuckle on this bright morning.... er, carry on!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 May 2018, 10:31

You still hear Syd’s influence. When I first met the lass she tried to turn me onto a band called Tap Tap and when I listened to them I was like, “that’s totally Syd!”.

Sometimes it’s fairly subtle and not necessarily a direct influence, like the use of an exaggerated English accent to emphasise nationality and Otherness. Sometimes it’s straight out homage (Far Out on Parklife). Sometimes it’s attempts to create pop music that bounces around with the same kind of free spirited capriciousness Syd seemed to effortlessly channel (I remember MGMT specifically talking about this in relation to their second album....DON'T LAUGH). Sometimes it’s indie artists who use the solo stuff as some kind of template/inspiration and try and emulate that one take, free form, stream of consciousness thing with predictably contrived results. I can understand the appeal of course. There is something so singular about his use of melodies and chords and rhythms that they seem to possess a strange kind of unfathomable internal logic, like one of pops greatest puzzle boxes. Some people really want to take that golden watch apart and see how all the pieces were put together but you can’t do that to sui generis of course.

The obvious undercurrent of unease and instability, the light and shade, is predictably even harder it copy. I mean appreciate the effort and it’s nice to hear Syd’s spirit being kept alive somehow but, yeah, mostly file under: “folly”
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 May 2018, 11:29

Oh, there's a BIG Syd influence on those 'English' Blur albums. 'Ernold Same'? fuck off!

and yeah, 'Far Out' is immediately recognisable as a kind of pastiche of 'The Gnome' or something. That's an example of it being done well, to my mind.

and that first MGMT album has all sorts of child-like melodic stuff that puts you in mind of Piper.

There's so much more - a lot of those Sarah bands stole a lot, you heard his style everywhere around 1986.

('dismantling a golden watch' is a great analogy, D!)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 May 2018, 12:06

This was one that always struck me as deliberately (and successfully) "keeping that spirit alive".

And then, of course, more literally, perhaps - there's bands like Italy's Jennifer Gentle or Chicago's own Grimble Grumble (God bless them both) whose goals are admirable enough, if not a bit "Surely, you've got something of your own to offer, as well."

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 May 2018, 14:55

:cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 May 2018, 14:56

Bent Fabric wrote:

This was one that always struck me as deliberately (and successfully) "keeping that spirit alive".

And then, of course, more literally, perhaps - there's bands like Italy's Jennifer Gentle or Chicago's own Grimble Grumble (God bless them both) whose goals are admirable enough, if not a bit "Surely, you've got something of your own to offer, as well."

One of the best groups of recent times, so many strings to their bows.
Last edited by fange on 09 May 2018, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 May 2018, 15:14

Just when I'd forgotten why I used to detest Supergrass, along comes a handy reminder.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 May 2018, 15:41

:)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 May 2018, 19:25

Hodgson's Tears wrote:Oh, there's a BIG Syd influence on those 'English' Blur albums. 'Ernold Same'? fuck off!

and yeah, 'Far Out' is immediately recognisable as a kind of pastiche of 'The Gnome' or something. That's an example of it being done well, to my mind.

and that first MGMT album has all sorts of child-like melodic stuff that puts you in mind of Piper.

There's so much more - a lot of those Sarah bands stole a lot, you heard his style everywhere around 1986.

('dismantling a golden watch' is a great analogy, D!)

I'll stick with what they did rather than who was influenced by them. I don't like or gravitate to bands reacting to loaded questions from interviewers "there's a kind of early barrett feel to track two"
"Oh yeah , definitely"

Oasis blow that kind of talk out of the water.

They all were and are pretty unique , who ya dig is who ya dig. What they did on their records are the most important thing.

Great post from Dougie (golden watch ,great).
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 10 May 2018, 14:36

LeBaron wrote:1. Nick Drake You Fuckwits
2. Syd Barrett might should be #1 because Piper

3. Arthur Lee
Not that there’s anything wrong with that

This.
Saves me typing

Not one album by either Art or Syd sounds anywhere near as rich and full-paletted as Bryter Layter
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Oct 2018, 12:45

Arthur Lee for me.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Oct 2018, 12:55

On reflection in has to be Kate Bush.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 06:00

'Roger' lost it for Syd here

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Oct 2018, 09:50

People thought they were voting for Waters?

Return to “Yakety Yak”