audiophiles

Do talk back
Hugh
Posts: 15612
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: audiophiles

Postby Hugh » 10 May 2018, 22:41

Knowing how much money you have to spend helps inform decisions about how best to spend it and what you can buy at that price.

If you have, for example, £150 to spend, I’d suggest that you would get more benefit from a DAC than a new CD player (assuming your CD player has a digital output to connect a DAC to).

User avatar
The Beatles
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17400
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: audiophiles

Postby The Beatles » 10 May 2018, 22:49

sloopjohnc wrote:
Hodgson's Tears wrote:
jimboo wrote:Source first , always. I would change the speakers next as they are awful.


They were top of the range in 1996! :cry:


Yeah, but so were you.


:lol:

Not bad, for you.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

User avatar
The Beatles
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17400
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: audiophiles

Postby The Beatles » 10 May 2018, 22:49

Hugh wrote:Knowing how much money you have to spend helps inform decisions about how best to spend it and what you can buy at that price.

If you have, for example, £150 to spend, I’d suggest that you would get more benefit from a DAC than a new CD player (assuming your CD player has a digital output to connect a DAC to).


OK - thanks. I'll look into it.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Hugh
Posts: 15612
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: audiophiles

Postby Hugh » 10 May 2018, 22:57

At around that price I’d recommend the Cambridge Audio DACMagic shown here at £169

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/separates/dacs.html

If you can spend more then there are other options that will provide bigger improvements.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29277
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: audiophiles

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 May 2018, 23:45

I forgot about this thread, but then I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday either. Did Paul really say he spend eleven grand on a new rig? Now I'll never be king of BCB! And is John upgrading his system at the same time? No, I want all the spotlight on me!!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29277
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: audiophiles

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 May 2018, 23:49

I got this the other day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY ... UTF8&psc=1
But I've got no speakers to plug into it. For that reason I haven't even attempted to hook it up.

User avatar
Graham Murakami
Posts: 1145
Joined: 20 Nov 2011, 23:35

Re: audiophiles

Postby Graham Murakami » 12 May 2018, 22:00

Wrong thread - sorry - so I deleted.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29277
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: audiophiles

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 May 2018, 22:57

Just sent the Denon receiver back. I ordered a Marantz receiver. I’ll tell you guys the specs when I get it.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20759
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: audiophiles

Postby Muskrat » 12 May 2018, 23:01

why?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29277
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: audiophiles

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 May 2018, 01:23


Hugh
Posts: 15612
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: audiophiles

Postby Hugh » 13 May 2018, 09:48

I had one of these on loan recently. Sounded absolutely wonderful and looks beautiful too.

Image

User avatar
The Beatles
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17400
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: audiophiles

Postby The Beatles » 13 May 2018, 09:53

I'm just going to get some new speakers. Fuck all this jargon and high-end shit!
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

Hugh
Posts: 15612
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: audiophiles

Postby Hugh » 13 May 2018, 10:05

BOLLY BEE wrote:I'm just going to get some new speakers. Fuck all this jargon and high-end shit!


Yeah, fuck it. It’s only music, it doesn’t matter what it actually sounds like :)

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12296
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: audiophiles

Postby The Fish » 13 May 2018, 18:57

Matt Wilson wrote: Did Paul really say he spend eleven grand on a new rig? Now I'll never be king of BCB!!


Only in dollars though Matt. A thoroughly reasonable 8 grand in pounds. Hey it's only money. Haven't got round to playing the White Album on it yet though ;)
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20759
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: audiophiles

Postby Muskrat » 14 May 2018, 03:41

Hugh wrote:I had one of these on loan recently. Sounded absolutely wonderful and looks beautiful too.

Image


And it'll run virtually forever on a mere speck of dilithium crystal.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!