Best act of 1966

Do talk back

Pick five

Beatles
23
14%
Beach Boys
22
13%
Dylan
21
13%
Stones
16
10%
Kinks
14
9%
Who
9
6%
Clapton
6
4%
Byrds
7
4%
Simon & Garfunkel
7
4%
Seeds
3
2%
Yardbirds
3
2%
Lovin' Spoonful
3
2%
Mothers of Invention
6
4%
Mamas & Papas
1
1%
Airplane
0
No votes
Springfield
2
1%
Monkees
2
1%
Donovan
1
1%
Otis
4
2%
Animals
3
2%
Elevators
6
4%
Love
4
2%
 
Total votes: 163

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby soundchaser » 16 Apr 2018, 20:07

The Beatles.
Beach Boys.
Dylan.
Kinks.
Clapton.

But lots of my albums here.

User avatar
ORORORO
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17115
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby ORORORO » 16 Apr 2018, 20:11

Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:14

algroth wrote:I went with Byrds, Beach Boys and Mothers, but the best act of this year is clearly Trane.


For Ascension and Meditation? Yeah, I figured not enough BCBers knew those albums though. Just like Phil Ochs, The Association, Small Faces (though I probably should've included them), Everly Bros, Wilson Pickett, Hollies, etc.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46669
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:16

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 12465
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2018, 20:22

oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes. The Who and Spoonful had some great singles that year too. I filled up with Dylan and the Byrds, but could have been any number of others with nothing but albums to choose between
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:24

Quaco wrote:
*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.


Are you kidding? I'd say "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer" are as good as any other two hits they ever had.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 12465
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2018, 20:26

Matt Wilson wrote:
Quaco wrote:
*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.


Are you kidding? I'd say "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer" are as good as any other two hits they ever had.

Hell Yeah. I should have voted for them rather than Dylan
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:27

Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes. The Who and Spoonful had some great singles that year too. I filled up with Dylan and the Byrds, but could have been any number of others with nothing but albums to choose between


You're right! I'd forgotten they released two album in '66. Oh well, I think if I edit it, all the votes will be lost.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby soundchaser » 16 Apr 2018, 20:27

Quaco wrote:It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.


The Monkees were an incredible singles band, but their albums were always a bit of a let down.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme, remains a very satisfying listen and I agree it is S & G’s best.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46669
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:32

Matt Wilson wrote:
Quaco wrote:
*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.


Are you kidding? I'd say "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer" are as good as any other two hits they ever had.

Two great songs and a not-great debut album. Their 1967, however, was amazing!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
ORORORO
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17115
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby ORORORO » 16 Apr 2018, 20:32

Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes.


They have no votes because CLOWN TROUSERS only gave us FIVE VOTES

and in a poll that features huge favourites such as the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Beach Boys and Dylan, what did you expect?

travesty indeed
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:37

The discipline is paring it down to your top five, John - not just voting for all the artists you like.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46669
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:42

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:
Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes.


They have no votes because CLOWN TROUSERS only gave us FIVE VOTES

and in a poll that features huge favourites such as the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Beach Boys and Dylan, what did you expect?

travesty indeed

Carole King, 1970.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26918
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Apr 2018, 20:49

Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, Who, and Stones. Anything else is madness, unless you want to make a case that Dylan edges up there. Most of these acts were better the year before or after. Honorable mention to the Spoonful, who don't make it up to this exalted level, but had by far their best and most active year.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8130
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Pansy Puff » 16 Apr 2018, 20:51

Image
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:58

toomanyhatz wrote:Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, Who, and Stones. Anything else is madness, unless you want to make a case that Dylan edges up there. Most of these acts were better the year before or after. Honorable mention to the Spoonful, who don't make it up to this exalted level, but had by far their best and most active year.


I don't think one needs to 'make the case' for Blonde on Blonde.

User avatar
ORORORO
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17115
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby ORORORO » 16 Apr 2018, 21:01

Matt Wilson wrote:The discipline is paring it down to your top five, John - not just voting for all the artists you like.


But many people's top five in this particular poll will be the same.

Whatever.
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29189
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 21:02

I don't think the top five would change all that much if I gave you ten votes.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46669
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 21:10

True, as most people would still vote for the big ones even if they were enjoying votes 6-10 more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46669
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 21:10

Matt, next time, for John, just have people vote for their sixth most favorite band!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -