Urban Myths - Sky Arts

Do talk back
German Dave
Utter Cad

Urban Myths - Sky Arts

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 17:34

Anyone seen any of them? I've seen the Bob Dylan and Bowie/Bolan ones and they're both rather lovely.

The Bob one is about the time he legendarily went to Crouch End looking for Dave Stewart's house but knocked on the door of another Dave's house and was invited in by Dave's bemused wife.

The Bowie/Bolan one is about when the young messrs Jones and Feld first meet in the offices of their shady manager, Les Conn and agree to paint his wall one afternoon.

Both are charmingly amusing and the portrayals of Dylan, Bowie and Bolan are uniformly excellent.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Dr Markus

Re: Urban Myths - Sky Arts

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 17:43

The Grundy one looks good. The dude playing lydon is the spitting image.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 17:54

Dr Markus wrote:The Grundy one looks good. The dude playing lydon is the spitting image.

Yeah, it's either that or the Johnny Cash (played by Frank Skinner) one next.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 13 Apr 2018, 19:25

I think it's a great idea but some of the casting choices are a bit daft.

I watched the Billy Wilder/Marilyn Monroe one last night and it was pretty good.
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 20:53

Have you seen either of the other two I've mentioned, John?

I've just watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Live Aid one.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 21:03

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 13 Apr 2018, 21:06

German Dave wrote:Have you seen either of the other two I've mentioned, John?

Just bits of them. I wasn't keen on seeing Jack Whitehall playing Bolan...
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 21:07

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Just bits of them. I wasn't keen on seeing Jack Whitehall playing Bolan...

I think he pulls it off and the Bowie is brilliant.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 13 Apr 2018, 21:09

I've got a couple recorded - I'll probably watch them tonight.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 21:26

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:I think it's a great idea but some of the casting choices are a bit daft.

I watched the Billy Wilder/Marilyn Monroe one last night and it was pretty good.

Never nothing wrong casting gemma arterton. Phew.

Watching Whitehall will be a struggle.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 13 Apr 2018, 21:50

Dr Markus wrote:Watching Whitehall will be a struggle.

It helped that I didn't realise it was Whitehall until the break. As somebody who really is no fan of his, I thought he did okay, though.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 13 Apr 2018, 23:33

Dr Markus wrote:The Grundy one looks good. The dude playing lydon is the spitting image.

Just watched it and really enjoyed it.

I think whoever it was really nailed Matlock - dopey, whiney. The rest were OK - especially whatsisface as Grundy. Now I need to find out how much of the less-famous stuff (the phone calls to the Green Room, Grundy's wife breaking down) is true!

I always thought the original programme went out on Granada, not Thames... :?

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 14 Apr 2018, 02:03

Loved the Live Aid one. Thought the Johnny Cash one was disappointing - Frank Skinner's script and performance made it feel a bit "Phoenix from the Flames." One or two amusing Skinner lines, especially his burning ring of fire pun.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Apr 2018, 00:30

The Live Aid one was OK - I was amused to see Status Quo portrayed as a pair of thick dickheads, and the Geldof actor was fine.

The Bowie/Bolan one was essentially a conversation and not a particularly interesting one at that. But the fella who played the young Bowie was very good. At first I thought it was set in 1967, but then the talk of the recently-released 'House Of The Rising Sun' put it at 1964 - which doesn't seem right. But I suppose they can sidestep all those issues by saying it's 'fictionalised'.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Apr 2018, 03:32

I thought the Bowie/Bolan thing was a bit ludicrous, Whitehall had a haircut from 1972 and seemed to base Bolan on Julian Clarey!
It's difficult to see what they're going for and it falls between the two stools of a more naturalistic drama and the over the top approach of something like Stella Street or the guy that does the youtube vids which deliberately turns the impressions into grotesque caricatures for comedy. Its neither one or the other, but I did quite enjoy the Dylan one I saw.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Apr 2018, 10:53

Any of these available anywhere other than Murdoch-vision? If so, link would be appreciated.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 Apr 2018, 11:21

Rayge wrote:Any of these available anywhere other than Murdoch-vision? If so, link would be appreciated.

Here's a link for the Live Aid episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSkQBvFRPs
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Apr 2018, 12:51

The Pistols one I think you should see, Ray

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Apr 2018, 12:59

Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare wrote:The Pistols one I think you should see, Ray

Sure, I'd love to, but, y'know, Murdoch.
If I can't steal from him, I want nothing to do with his wallet :) .
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Apr 2018, 13:33

Easily obtainable without lining the old cunt's pockets, R