Marillion.

Do talk back
User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 20:36

I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

However, it occurs to me that I only have this and the equally brilliant, Misplaced Childhood.

What else could I be listening to by this most excellent band?

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19623
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Marillion.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 12 Apr 2018, 20:41

Interesting question that will require some thought.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 20:53

A chump bump, I see.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32791
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Marillion.

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:55



Oooft!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32791
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Marillion.

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 21:00

When I am king, dilly dilly
You will be queen, K
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17038
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Marillion.

Postby clive gash » 12 Apr 2018, 21:01

Withered gash, yummy.
Last edited by clive gash on 12 Apr 2018, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19623
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Marillion.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 12 Apr 2018, 21:01

Image
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:03

K wrote:I knew he wouldn't be able to resist. Even though I can't answer your question, I hope you don't think it's a threadcrap to say I'm very glad this thread is here because I knew it would piss Coan off so much as he again sees his grip on the board is weak and friendless.

I hope plenty of Marillion fans come along to keep the thread high on the board.

EDIT: And Goat Boy pops in to help. Whither Gash?


Thank you ;). Yes, I’m hoping to hear from the BCB Marillion fans.

I know Neil Jung’s a fan.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19623
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Marillion.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 12 Apr 2018, 21:03

K wrote:I'm very glad this thread is here because I knew it would piss Coan off so much as he again sees his grip on the board is weak and friendless.


I'm absolutely fucking furious here, Hodgson! kicking furniture and cursing this fucking fuck fuck fuck BCB board!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

FUCK!!! FUCK FUUUUUUCKKKKKKK












is that better?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:10

What about Brave? I’ve heard that’s a good one.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50774
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Marillion.

Postby C » 12 Apr 2018, 21:40

soundchaser wrote:I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

However, it occurs to me that I only have this and the equally brilliant, Misplaced Childhood.

What else could I be listening to by this most excellent band?



I have the two you mention Richard plus Fugazi and Clutching at Straws

I am not a massive fan and the two aforementioned generally suffice although perhaps I would add one of the other two







.
fange wrote:OOOOF! Full of music!

Nice tubs. Good lad!

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:44

Carlsson wrote:
soundchaser wrote:I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

However, it occurs to me that I only have this and the equally brilliant, Misplaced Childhood.

What else could I be listening to by this most excellent band?



I have the two you mention Richard plus Fugazi and Clutching at Straws

I am not a massive fan and the two aforementioned generally suffice although perhaps I would add one of the other two

.


I’ve heard Fugazi and remember not being that keen.

Thanks for the input.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1593
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Marillion.

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2018, 21:49

well depends on what you liked about Script For A Jesters Tear and Misplaced Childhood (both excellent albums). If its the vocals then go with the next one(one of my favorites) Clutching at Straws or the live one of this album. After that album exits Fish and in comes Steve Hogarth on vocals. Like Genesis the fans of Marillion have this divide between sings. I like H (steve's nickname) just as much as Fish so it never bothered me.
The H era good albums are :
Brave
Afraid of Sunlight
Marbles(my favorite H album)
try some live Marillion from this era.

what you thought I wouldn't have pictures. :lol:
Image

Image

Fish solo
Image

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 22:05

Thanks very much...great info!

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23709
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Marillion.

Postby never/ever » 12 Apr 2018, 22:21

There is a clear separation between the Fish-era albums and the Steve Hogarth-ones...

With Misplaced and Script you have got the best two of the Fish-era albums. Fugazi, the one inbetween is a bit more uneven but good, the one I would go for is Clutching At Straws which does show the transition to more song-based material rather than the long stretches of prog.

Hogarth took the band to more what I call symphonic levels, more slower tracks that leaned heavier on keyboards and arrangements. The early albums like Holidays In Eden and Brave (a concept album) are very good. I do like the course the band is taking with a more mellower, less rocking sound and dig albums like Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine and Somewhere Else...although with their last album, FEAR they have overshot their intent.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1593
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Marillion.

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2018, 22:39

never/ever wrote:
Hogarth took the band to more what I call symphonic levels, more slower tracks that leaned heavier on keyboards and arrangements. The early albums like Holidays In Eden and Brave (a concept album) are very good. I do like the course the band is taking with a more mellower, less rocking sound and dig albums like Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine and Somewhere Else...although with their last album, FEAR they have overshot their intent.

Yes I agree with this. I like FEAR also but you can see its an angry album about the current state of affairs, I'll bet the next one goes back to the last few.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 22:53

never/ever wrote:There is a clear separation between the Fish-era albums and the Steve Hogarth-ones...

With Misplaced and Script you have got the best two of the Fish-era albums. Fugazi, the one inbetween is a bit more uneven but good, the one I would go for is Clutching At Straws which does show the transition to more song-based material rather than the long stretches of prog.

Hogarth took the band to more what I call symphonic levels, more slower tracks that leaned heavier on keyboards and arrangements. The early albums like Holidays In Eden and Brave (a concept album) are very good. I do like the course the band is taking with a more mellower, less rocking sound and dig albums like Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine and Somewhere Else...although with their last album, FEAR they have overshot their intent.


Thanks very much for this, I’ll get on it tomorrow.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46415
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Marillion.

Postby The Slider » 12 Apr 2018, 23:57

I'm not sure which I hold in more contempt.
Marillion's third rate Hamill-resurrects-Genesis schitk or Coan's tiresome how-dare-anyone-like-what-I-don't tantrums
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 17728
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Marillion.

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Apr 2018, 05:15

All the Fish-era ones are worth having.

Hogarth era is much more hit and miss. Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles (2CD version) are the best. I also really like the first one Season's End which is closest in feel to Fish-era.

Ones to avoid are Somewhere Else (very poor) and Happiness is the Road (completely forgettable tedium and 2CDs worth of it!). All the other others albums are uneven but include good stuff too. They can get a little dull and one-paced at times which they never did during the Fish-era.

Hugh
Posts: 15726
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Marillion.

Postby Hugh » 13 Apr 2018, 07:59

I’ve actually seen Fish lauded as a lyrical genius elsewhere on the internet. I took an instant dislike to their poor man's Genesis nonsense early on so so I had never heard a full album by the Fish-era band or anything at all afterwards.

There was a possibility recently that I was going to interview Fish about a piece of hifi gear he has recently endorsed - he lives about half a dozen miles down the road from me - so I thought I had better give Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws a listen and I still couldnt get through them. The interview didn’t come off which is probably just as well.