Marillion.

Do talk back
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Marillion.

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 20:36

I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

However, it occurs to me that I only have this and the equally brilliant, Misplaced Childhood.

What else could I be listening to by this most excellent band?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Marillion.

Postby naughty boy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:41

Interesting question that will require some thought.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 20:53

A chump bump, I see.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 20:55

Oooft!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 21:00

When I am king, dilly dilly
You will be queen, K
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Apr 2018, 21:01

Withered gash, yummy.
Last edited by clive gash on 12 Apr 2018, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Apr 2018, 21:01

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:03

K wrote:I knew he wouldn't be able to resist. Even though I can't answer your question, I hope you don't think it's a threadcrap to say I'm very glad this thread is here because I knew it would piss Coan off so much as he again sees his grip on the board is weak and friendless.

I hope plenty of Marillion fans come along to keep the thread high on the board.

EDIT: And Goat Boy pops in to help. Whither Gash?

Thank you ;). Yes, I’m hoping to hear from the BCB Marillion fans.

I know Neil Jung’s a fan.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Apr 2018, 21:03

K wrote:I'm very glad this thread is here because I knew it would piss Coan off so much as he again sees his grip on the board is weak and friendless.

I'm absolutely fucking furious here, Hodgson! kicking furniture and cursing this fucking fuck fuck fuck BCB board!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

FUCK!!! FUCK FUUUUUUCKKKKKKK

is that better?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:10

What about Brave? I’ve heard that’s a good one.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Apr 2018, 21:40

soundchaser wrote:I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

However, it occurs to me that I only have this and the equally brilliant, Misplaced Childhood.

I have the two you mention Richard plus Fugazi and Clutching at Straws

I am not a massive fan and the two aforementioned generally suffice although perhaps I would add one of the other two

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 21:44

Carlsson wrote:
soundchaser wrote:I’m just listening to, and loving, Script For A Jesters Tear, for the first time in an age.

I have the two you mention Richard plus Fugazi and Clutching at Straws

I am not a massive fan and the two aforementioned generally suffice although perhaps I would add one of the other two

I’ve heard Fugazi and remember not being that keen.

Thanks for the input.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2018, 21:49

well depends on what you liked about Script For A Jesters Tear and Misplaced Childhood (both excellent albums). If its the vocals then go with the next one(one of my favorites) Clutching at Straws or the live one of this album. After that album exits Fish and in comes Steve Hogarth on vocals. Like Genesis the fans of Marillion have this divide between sings. I like H (steve's nickname) just as much as Fish so it never bothered me.
The H era good albums are :
Brave
Afraid of Sunlight
Marbles(my favorite H album)
try some live Marillion from this era.

what you thought I wouldn't have pictures. :lol:

Fish solo

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 22:05

Thanks very much...great info!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Apr 2018, 22:21

There is a clear separation between the Fish-era albums and the Steve Hogarth-ones...

With Misplaced and Script you have got the best two of the Fish-era albums. Fugazi, the one inbetween is a bit more uneven but good, the one I would go for is Clutching At Straws which does show the transition to more song-based material rather than the long stretches of prog.

Hogarth took the band to more what I call symphonic levels, more slower tracks that leaned heavier on keyboards and arrangements. The early albums like Holidays In Eden and Brave (a concept album) are very good. I do like the course the band is taking with a more mellower, less rocking sound and dig albums like Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine and Somewhere Else...although with their last album, FEAR they have overshot their intent.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2018, 22:39

never/ever wrote:
Hogarth took the band to more what I call symphonic levels, more slower tracks that leaned heavier on keyboards and arrangements. The early albums like Holidays In Eden and Brave (a concept album) are very good. I do like the course the band is taking with a more mellower, less rocking sound and dig albums like Afraid Of Sunlight, Marbles, This Strange Engine and Somewhere Else...although with their last album, FEAR they have overshot their intent.

Yes I agree with this. I like FEAR also but you can see its an angry album about the current state of affairs, I'll bet the next one goes back to the last few.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Apr 2018, 22:53

never/ever wrote:There is a clear separation between the Fish-era albums and the Steve Hogarth-ones...

With Misplaced and Script you have got the best two of the Fish-era albums. Fugazi, the one inbetween is a bit more uneven but good, the one I would go for is Clutching At Straws which does show the transition to more song-based material rather than the long stretches of prog.

Thanks very much for this, I’ll get on it tomorrow.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Apr 2018, 23:57

I'm not sure which I hold in more contempt.
Marillion's third rate Hamill-resurrects-Genesis schitk or Coan's tiresome how-dare-anyone-like-what-I-don't tantrums
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Apr 2018, 05:15

All the Fish-era ones are worth having.

Hogarth era is much more hit and miss. Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles (2CD version) are the best. I also really like the first one Season's End which is closest in feel to Fish-era.

Ones to avoid are Somewhere Else (very poor) and Happiness is the Road (completely forgettable tedium and 2CDs worth of it!). All the other others albums are uneven but include good stuff too. They can get a little dull and one-paced at times which they never did during the Fish-era.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 13 Apr 2018, 07:59

I’ve actually seen Fish lauded as a lyrical genius elsewhere on the internet. I took an instant dislike to their poor man's Genesis nonsense early on so so I had never heard a full album by the Fish-era band or anything at all afterwards.

There was a possibility recently that I was going to interview Fish about a piece of hifi gear he has recently endorsed - he lives about half a dozen miles down the road from me - so I thought I had better give Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws a listen and I still couldnt get through them. The interview didn’t come off which is probably just as well.

Return to “Yakety Yak”