12%
Meh
12%
I don't dig it, man
No votes

Total votes: 26

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Rate the song: "I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"

Postby clive gash » 13 Apr 2018, 11:40

There’s a definite whiff of ‘squares do psych for $$$’ about it. Probably why it’s so good.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Rate the song: "I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"

Postby Neige » 13 Apr 2018, 12:00

I voted "enjoy".

I'd never heard the studio version before The Big Lebowski and have been fond of it ever since, kitschy faux-psych-ness or not.

The version in the clip seems a bit more stilted and gauche to me, with Kenny Rogers overdoing it - but it's a quite incredible document.

Betty Lavette's version, which was new to me, is fucking awesome, cheers Machuki!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Apr 2018, 14:34

The song was recorded twice (once by Jerry Lee Lewis!) before Kenny Rogers did it as well.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Apr 2018, 15:19

Another interesting fact: Kenny's older brother Lelan Rogers produced and work with various Texas psychedelic groups of the 60's, including The 13th Floor Elevators, Red Krayola and Bubble Puppy.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Apr 2018, 18:30

pcqgod wrote:Another interesting fact: Kenny's older brother Lelan Rogers produced and work with various Texas psychedelic groups of the 60's, including The 13th Floor Elevators, Red Krayola and Bubble Puppy.

Not Bubble Puppy (Rogers had split from International Artists by then, although he did later buy the company) - but yes, he produced the first two Elevators albums and The Parable Of Arable Land. Mind, I don't think he ever dropped acid either! :)

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Apr 2018, 20:44

I've always loved it. First heard it being played by Supergrass on TFI Friday. I have to admit to being a little disappointed when I heard the original.

Return to “Yakety Yak”