oxbow thin black duke

Do talk back
User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 11 Apr 2018, 19:34

Image
Wow , mind blown , how have I missed this lot?

Anyone else a fan,is the rest of the catalogue this exciting?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 9970
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 Apr 2018, 20:42

jimboo wrote:Image
Wow , mind blown , how have I missed this lot?

Anyone else a fan,is the rest of the catalogue this exciting?

Never heard... :?
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 9970
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 Apr 2018, 20:47

Just listening on yt
Sounds interesting for sure
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4733
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Apr 2018, 21:38

They're one of those bands I've been meaning to investigate for ages, but never stumble across any of their records. I bet Eugene's a commanding presence live, he's certainly got a powerful way with words. Perhaps I should trawl youtube tomorrow.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 11 Apr 2018, 21:48

I heard them on tidal but they are on spotify too , stunning just stunning.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Hugh
Posts: 15532
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Hugh » 11 Apr 2018, 22:08

jimboo wrote:I heard them on tidal but they are on spotify too , stunning just stunning.


If only the search engine could go back 8 years or so. I’m sure you vowed to have no truck with streaming.

Hugh
Posts: 15532
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Hugh » 11 Apr 2018, 22:09

PS. I’m listening on Tidal as well.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 11 Apr 2018, 22:16

Well Hugh I bought me a naim qube for the living room.I took up the free Tidal trial because spotify didn't make it sing. I have and will use streaming to access new sounds , however I still buy the product as trad hifi rocks my world. I am musing over wether I should buy the kef 'wireless' LS speakers , have you heard them?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Hugh
Posts: 15532
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Hugh » 11 Apr 2018, 22:26

jimboo wrote:Well Hugh I bought me a naim qube for the living room.I took up the free Tidal trial because spotify didn't make it sing. I have and will use streaming to access new sounds , however I still buy the product as trad hifi rocks my world. I am musing over wether I should buy the kef 'wireless' LS speakers , have you heard them?


I had a loan of a mu-so for a while and it was very good but not a replacement for streaming into a real Hifi system, either from Tidal or from discs ripped to my NAS. I haven’t heard the wireless LS's but I have heard very good thins about them from someone who has.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4733
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Apr 2018, 23:38

Is this all gibberish, or some kind of furtive drug slang?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:21

Image


This is just peachy as well , what a band.

The narcotic story

But perhaps more important in terms of overall impact are the musical subtleties. Strings spill, weeping barroom pianos plink dolefully and the noise of Neurosis tuning up in Hell with razor-wire for plectrums is succeeded by a band becoming comfortable in their own skins; cohesive, essential, even accessible.

By The Narcotic Story’s perfectly blunt conclusion – “In the end / We all get exactly what we fucking deserve” closing the The Kids Of Widney High-doing-Radiohead of ‘It’s The Giving, Not The Taking’ – there’s even sunrays of optimism shining into the murk. The greatest realisation is Oxbow have presided over 2007’s greatest LP.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15488
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby nev gash » 12 Apr 2018, 21:22

I saw them live @ Supersonic.

Dreadful stuff x
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4733
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2018, 21:24

That's as good a recommendation as I need. Might as well buy the lot straight away.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15488
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby nev gash » 12 Apr 2018, 21:26

Boris were shite too!
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:26

Its awesome fishter , best stuff I have heard in years.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6618
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:27

nev gash wrote:Boris were shite too!


They both frightened you , didn't they?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15488
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby nev gash » 12 Apr 2018, 21:27

Not as much as the audience.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4733
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: oxbow thin black duke

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2018, 21:35

nev gash wrote:Boris were shite too!

I generally agree, though Pink is a partially great album.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.