53%
Tonight's the Night
37%

Total votes: 30

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Neil Young's 'Doom Trilogy'

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Apr 2018, 18:04

Weren't some of those songs supposed to be on the CSNY 1974 album?
Thinking about Mexican food.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 20 Apr 2018, 19:36

Matt Wilson wrote:Weren't some of those songs supposed to be on the CSNY 1974 album?

Quite possibly, I haven't found a definitive list of what was supposed to be on Homegrown.

Human Highway, Pushed It Over The End, Traces and Through My Sails I think were slated for the CSNY album.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Apr 2018, 19:54

He does "Love-Art Blues" on the CSNY 1974 live box as well. Don't know it that makes it a CSNY song though.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 25 Apr 2018, 19:35

Mike Boom wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:But in reality, there is actually a fourth album in the Doom Trilogy, one we have never heard.

Homegrown was supposed to be released in 1975, and though a handful of the songs have been performed live, the studio versions have never circulated. But based on what I've heard, it's a naked breakup album with Carrie Snodgress, really sad. Maybe so sad, he couldn't stand the idea of ever having to perform those songs or talk about them. Or maybe he's saved by Rick Danko, who comes over for a listening party one night, hears the "soon to be released" Homegrown followed by the "shelved" Tonight's The Night, which is on the same tape, and tells Neil "you gotta put out the raw one."

From what I can tell Homegrown was going to come from some of these -

Homegrown
Vacancy
Homefires
Try
Love-Art Blues
Frozen Man
Separate Ways
Daughters
We Don't Smoke It
White Line
Give Me Strength
Star of Bethlehem
Deep Forbidden Lake
Love is a Rose
Little Wing
The Old Homestead
Pardon My Heart
Bad News
Kansas

Anyone know if there any of the Homegrown versions of these tracks are up on the Archives site ?

That looks about right to me too - but were Mexico, Sad Movies and No One Seems To Know part of the mix as well? More unreleased songs from roughly the same period. Oddly he started doing many of them live on his 2007-08 tour.

There is a blank page for "Homegrown (unreleased album)" on the Archives timeline in 1975, but o song list and no recordings.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Apr 2018, 21:18

bobzilla77 wrote:That looks about right to me too - but were Mexico, Sad Movies and No One Seems To Know part of the mix as well? More unreleased songs from roughly the same period. Oddly he started doing many of them live on his 2007-08 tour.

There is a blank page for "Homegrown (unreleased album)" on the Archives timeline in 1975, but o song list and no recordings.

I think there was also Mexico , Kansas , Hawaiin Sunrise and Florida from around that time, and he was also tinkering with a water themed album, not sure about Sad Movies or No One Seems To Know.

Yeah, I didn't realize the Archives are still free and have been poking around the last week or so, I think its really well done - I like the way you can actually view a decent size album cover, but as you say, it currently lacks any unreleased stuff, which I guess is coming once there is a fee to join and they will have a separate stand alone release like the live at the Roxy,

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Apr 2018, 00:44

I'm not sure they actually will release any of that stuff on the Archives without giving it a physical prodcut. Maybe all those post-its are his "to-do list" and they would show up there once released. As of Saturday, TTN Live at the Roxy was not available, although all the songs were listed.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 01 May 2018, 16:40

Everything I wanted it to be.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 May 2018, 16:59

I liked it, but thought it was too similar to the Tonight's the Night album, with arguably none of the songs being better than the versions on the previous LP ( with possibly the exception of "Speaking Out").

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 01 May 2018, 17:05

I think the between-song spiel injects a bit of fun and livens it up from the studio versions.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 May 2018, 17:16

What I would like now from the Archives is the original 1968 mix of his first album, and a remastered CD of Journey Through the Past.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 May 2018, 17:58

gash on ignore wrote:Image

Everything I wanted it to be.

It doesn't add much to the studio album though - does it?

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 01 May 2018, 18:11

Just sounds, er, live-r. And there’s a great version of Walk On.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 May 2018, 18:52

I didn't find the live one a huge improvement on the studio album, but I still enjoy it.

What is doesn't capture is the hostility from the audience that he got when they took it into bigger venues. The Roxy shows were supposedly mostly record company people and a handful of fans who were incredibly lucky to get in. When he starts doing 45 minutes of unheard material for a paying audience, they start hooting at him and he starts hooting back. A common joke - at many of the shows he would finally announce, after ten songs or so, "Here's one you've heard before ladies and gentlemen! We're gonna do one you already know!" And then he'd go into Tonight's The Night for the second or even third time.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 May 2018, 18:56

By the way - Neil Young & Crazy Horse are playing in Fresno tonight & tomorrow, and in Bakersfield on Saturday and Sunday, in small theaters. About 1000 capacity. I have a ticket for Saturday night. The show tonight will be streamed live on his Archives site, which is still free to sign up for, and you can get presale tickets for Bakersfield there too.

I will not be watching however - I plan to stay unspoiled til the weekend. They've got Nils Lofgren in place of Poncho for this run - no word what's wrong with him, though it's encouraging that Billy Talbot is coming back after his stroke a few years ago.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 01 May 2018, 19:56

bobzilla77 wrote:By the way - Neil Young & Crazy Horse are playing in Fresno tonight & tomorrow, and in Bakersfield on Saturday and Sunday, in small theaters. About 1000 capacity. I have a ticket for Saturday night. The show tonight will be streamed live on his Archives site, which is still free to sign up for, and you can get presale tickets for Bakersfield there too.

I will not be watching however - I plan to stay unspoiled til the weekend. They've got Nils Lofgren in place of Poncho for this run - no word what's wrong with him, though it's encouraging that Billy Talbot is coming back after his stroke a few years ago.

This makes me happier than you can imagine.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 04 May 2018, 14:47

Here's the show from Tuesday night, if anyone's interested:

It starts out looking like someone's just filming it on their phone from the audience, but it gets better.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 May 2018, 15:11

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Here's the show from Tuesday night, if anyone's interested:

It starts out looking like someone's just filming it on their phone from the audience, but it gets better.

Great show with a fantastic set list

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 May 2018, 18:47

Here's my review of the Bakersfield show on Saturday.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2018/05/ne ... ve-review/

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 May 2018, 19:12

bobzilla77 wrote:Here's my review of the Bakersfield show on Saturday.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2018/05/ne ... ve-review/

First thing I read this morning! Thanks for that, Bob.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

caramba

Postby caramba » 11 May 2018, 08:24

Videos no longer available - on YT at least. May still be up on Uncut.

Thanks for teh review btw. Sounds like a blast. Hope he does a bigger tour