are you just here to talk about prog?

Do talk back

?

yes
18
56%
no
14
44%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 61991
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Apr 2018, 22:05

Matt Wilson wrote:We learned Saturday that there are six major prog bands.


I'm sure you did. I was thinking between Mike and Jim, it was a prog party in Orange County.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26823
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Apr 2018, 22:31

ELO
Yes
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Soft Machine
Caravan

??
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Quaco » 09 Apr 2018, 22:35

I would classify a couple of those as Canterbury, which is jazzier and, let's face it it, a bit cooler than the much reviled prog. Also, it is my belief that to be prog, there has to be at least a bit of unusual time signature use, which discounts ELO. (In other words, you got three right :) )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26823
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Apr 2018, 22:44

Oops. Typo. I meant to say ELP. So four right?
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Quaco » 09 Apr 2018, 23:20

Correct!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Quaco » 09 Apr 2018, 23:21

One is easy and seminal.

The other is a huge band that was only prog for a short part of their career, but somehow it counts for me. I wouldn't argue if someone were to posit that there are only five major prog bands, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1112
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Hightea » 09 Apr 2018, 23:25

toomanyhatz wrote:ELO
Yes
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Soft Machine
Caravan

??

the big six are generally considered
Pink Floyd
Genesis
King Crimson
ELP
Yes
Jethro Tull or Gentle Giant or sometimes Rush

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29116
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Apr 2018, 23:38

Hightea wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:ELO
Yes
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Soft Machine
Caravan

??

the big six are generally considered
Pink Floyd
Genesis
King Crimson
ELP
Yes
Jethro Tull or Gentle Giant or sometimes Rush


Ah, I beg to differ! Our resident prog boys say Floyd is not prog.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Quaco » 09 Apr 2018, 23:40

Pink Floyd is certainly big, but I don't consider them prog. Progressive, for sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Purgatory Baldie Brite
Posts: 1855
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Purgatory Baldie Brite » 09 Apr 2018, 23:55

Quaco wrote:Canterbury, which is jazzier and, let's face it it, a bit cooler than the much reviled prog


There's no point in making such statements. The anti-prog knobheads - Coan, Goatboy and Rayge - don't give a shit about whether any type of prog is jazzier or has more street cred. You're wasting your breath on these twerps. I cannot work out what music they actually do like and, in truth, I don't care what these smug, self-satisfied dullards consider to be acceptable.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Quaco » 10 Apr 2018, 00:12

Purgatory Brite wrote:
Quaco wrote:Canterbury, which is jazzier and, let's face it it, a bit cooler than the much reviled prog


There's no point in making such statements. The anti-prog knobheads - Coan, Goatboy and Rayge - don't give a shit about whether any type of prog is jazzier or has more street cred. You're wasting your breath on these twerps. I cannot work out what music they actually do like and, in truth, I don't care what these smug, self-satisfied dullards consider to be acceptable.

Not just with them! Various sites will accept Soft Machine and so on but balk at Gentle Giant. (It seems to me.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
BOLLY BEE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16856
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby BOLLY BEE » 10 Apr 2018, 06:54

US diplomacy at work! :lol:
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5143
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby zoomboogity » 10 Apr 2018, 07:58

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:well ARE YOU?


No, I'm not. I would liked to have seen that screwball comedy thread I started in Screenadelica take off, but it didn't happen, so I just thought, oh well, at least I got turned on to a few cool things. It was a brief thread, but a quality one. My Preston Sturges thread died on the vine too. And so what, you know? (I just took a look at that one - my opening post disappeared!)

I just started another thread on Screenadelica about an hour ago, and if you don't get your ass over there toot-sweet and contribute, well, I'll have a bit of difficulty taking your complaints too seriously in the future.

Perhaps some of our regular posters are having things in their life taking precedence, only they chose not to bring it up here. Me, I've been dealing with health problems of my own, and it sort of takes over one's life. (Five years of constant nerve pain - I don't recommend it.) Waiting for a surgery date, and REALLY tired of waiting. Having a compressed nerve is no fun, and having one in your hand can be pretty catastrophic. Plus being caregiver for elderly parents, watching one die a few months ago, another on her last days. So still checking in, but not much to add lately. Sorry.
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5143
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby zoomboogity » 10 Apr 2018, 09:53

I mean... what? What would you like us to do to keep you entertained here? Never mind finding another website that keeps you amused, how about just logging off and going somewhere? Anything interesting going on? Or are we the only people you can talk to about Can or The Fall or the Mott The Hoolies and the Amon Düülies? Because I dunno 'bout you, but after 15 years, I really don't know what to say about anything anymore. And it's been 15 years, some of us are just fuckin' old by now.

So I dunno... should I start a thread about Peter Hammill's music from the 1990s on? He did a couple in the '80s that weren't for me, so I just moved on. (25 albums was enough.) But he rebounded and is back to great again. I'm just picking out songs on youtube, then reading the lyrics from his site. A true force, still at it. Yep, God bless Peter Hammill. So should I start it? I don't care if I'm the only one to contribute, I wouldn't mind doing that. Or whatever, I could blow it off and take a nap. Your call.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22104
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby never/ever » 10 Apr 2018, 10:02

Please do.
The idea that all talk here is about prog is ludicrous. It's a perpetual topic brought up to get a rise out of a few people.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10013
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 10 Apr 2018, 10:03

zoomboogity wrote:I mean... what? What would you like us to do to keep you entertained here? Never mind finding another website that keeps you amused, how about just logging off and going somewhere? Anything interesting going on? Or are we the only people you can talk to about Can or The Fall or the Mott The Hoolies and the Amon Düülies? Because I dunno 'bout you, but after 15 years, I really don't know what to say about anything anymore. And it's been 15 years, some of us are just fuckin' old by now.

So I dunno... should I start a thread about Peter Hammill's music from the 1990s on? He did a couple in the '80s that weren't for me, so I just moved on. (25 albums was enough.) But he rebounded and is back to great again. I'm just picking out songs on youtube, then reading the lyrics from his site. A true force, still at it. Yep, God bless Peter Hammill. So should I start it? I don't care if I'm the only one to contribute, I wouldn't mind doing that. Or whatever, I could blow it off and take a nap. Your call.


Peter Hammill is truly progressive!
One of the few that still got it, and going strong,
both solo and with Van der Graaf Generator.
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 12380
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Rayge » 10 Apr 2018, 10:20

Purgatory Brite wrote:There's no point in making such statements. The anti-prog knobheads - Coan, Goatboy and Rayge - don't give a shit about whether any type of prog is jazzier or has more street cred. You're wasting your breath on these twerps. I cannot work out what music they actually do like and, in truth, I don't care what these smug, self-satisfied dullards consider to be acceptable.


And if you can't work out what I do like (roughly everything from the 1930s to the 1990s except for prog and funk in the early 1970s) after I made several thousand overly loquacious posts about records, well, doesn't say much for your perceptual powers, or your willingness to step outside the bubble, does it?

And of course what I mainly don't like about prog is that it claimed to be Progressive, a step beyond from the untamed sexual beauty of rock & roll into something more challenging for the superior intellect, while I find it the most fiercely anal, sexless, overly cerebral anti-joy genre of record-making ever.
If that's where the only place you can get you kicks, more power to you, but you don't get to call people smug, self-satisfied or dull without attracting a response, not to mention the derision of the angels, so away with you to foe world.

Oh, and if you are going to call people knobheads, you shouldn't have a cranium resembling an albino bell-end yourself. Glass houses and all that.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8046
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Apr 2018, 10:53

Don't forget, everyone, it was GoogaMooga who spolied BCB with his threads and not Coan's endless protective negativity.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5143
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby zoomboogity » 10 Apr 2018, 11:42

never/ever wrote:Please do.
The idea that all talk here is about prog is ludicrous. It's a perpetual topic brought up to get a rise out of a few people.


ConnyOlivetti wrote:Peter Hammill is truly progressive!
One of the few that still got it, and going strong,
both solo and with Van der Graaf Generator.


I've been checking out individual songs, not albums. The a la carte method is working for me. I'll go back and see which were my favorites.

K wrote:Don't forget, everyone, it was GoogaMooga who spolied BCB with his threads and not Coan's endless protective negativity.


You know, I pulled a GoogaMooga once at a concert. I think I'll start a "Gig Memories" thread, that could have potential.
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
Purgatory Baldie Brite
Posts: 1855
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: are you just here to talk about prog?

Postby Purgatory Baldie Brite » 10 Apr 2018, 12:23

*deleted*