Arise S'ringo

Do talk back
Bent Fabric

Re: Arise S'ringo

Postby Bent Fabric » 20 Mar 2018, 22:05

And only last week did I finally notice the whole "We smoke weed wherever we want" business in the London Town poster.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Mar 2018, 22:15

Bent Fabric wrote:I absolutely get that - for each of them - there is only one other person in the world who "knows what it's like". And yet...socially, organically, how much can that ultimately count for on an ongoing basis. Did Armstrong and Aldrin go out clubbing every weekend for 40 years?

And did they shut Collins out? "Sorry, man - you can't know what it was like!"

Bent Fabric wrote:And, yes - 55 years after their first number one record, how much "Look at that - We did it!" could either of them actually muster?

I don't know... I can actually imagine Ringo - this kid from the Dingle who wasn't even supposed to survive childhood - still thinking a knighthood is a pretty sweet deal.

I like that he paraphrases Quentin Crisp ("If I were the Queen, I'd wear my crown at breakfast!").

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Mar 2018, 22:25

Slightly off topic - were any of them still close in 1970 or thereabouts? John and Ringo?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 20 Mar 2018, 22:27

Unward Brank wrote:Slightly off topic - were any of them still close in 1970 or thereabouts? John and Ringo?

Those two, in their way, for sure. George and Ringo, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Never_Give_Me_Your_Money_(book)

Better than you think it is.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Mar 2018, 06:11

Well George was on Imagine too of course. I think the problems were more between the three and Paul.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 Mar 2018, 15:20

The Modernist wrote:Well George was on Imagine too of course. I think the problems were more between the three and Paul.

The Eastman/lawsuit business and Paul's wanting out of Apple probably occasioned some very deliberate and pointed distancing and fractures initially. It is telling that after a couple of years, G, J and R grew resentful of Klein for not wrapping up their legal battles with P.

Seemingly something of a four sided love triangle as mid-decade approached. Everyone contributes to Ringo's solo efforts, George and John fall out repeatedly (Bangla Desh related, contract signing related), Paul and John reunite in LA in 74, Paul and Linda go see George's tour, Ringo goes to see Wings, George at Venus and Mars wrap party, everyone BUT John at Clapton's wedding, John feels snubbed by George's book, and so on.

Even watching Anthology, you get the sense that there was ALWAYS "some shit" between at least two of them at any given moment.
Last edited by Bent Fabric on 24 Mar 2018, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Mar 2018, 15:30

I think he looks better than Paul these days.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Mar 2018, 16:09

Bad beard dye job tho
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Mar 2018, 18:32

Matt Wilson wrote:I think he looks better than Paul these days.

Paul's finally showing some grey, as seen at the march

Return to “Yakety Yak”