Joanna Gruesome

Joy Orbison

Duran Duran Duran

Wevie Stonder

Gringo Starr

Kylie Minoise

John Cougar Concentration Camp

Heorge Garrison
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 16 Mar 2018, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Best of the artist-variation artists

Postby Penk! » 16 Mar 2018, 16:34

You missed Com Truise.

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Mar 2018, 16:39

I could never listen to any artist who did this.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Mar 2018, 16:43

Bah Humfuck.
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 16 Mar 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Mar 2018, 16:44

PENK wrote:You missed Com Truise.

All based on musicians, not actors, ya see. Had to draw the line somewhere. I was going to include Iron Curtis, but I'm not sure if that is an Iron Curtain or Ian Curtis reference.

And I nearly included Donna Summer, but he didn't even bother changing a letter of the name.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Mar 2018, 17:06

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Mar 2018, 17:08

There’s Danananaykroyd too.

And Whitey Houston.

Why is it such a ”thing”?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 16 Mar 2018, 17:34

Went with Joanna Gruesome and Heorge Garrison as far as songs went, but the best name might be Jon Cougar Concentration Camp.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Mar 2018, 18:05

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Mar 2018, 19:42

Joanna Gruesome
I enjoyed this one, tough and scuzzy but melodic. The name is a bit of a mundane pun, and doesn't suit the catchy and agreeable music.
Song: 8/10
Name: 5/10

Joy Orbison
I already knew and liked this one, it was quite the underground hit a few years ago. A decent mix of dubstep and clubby house, with nice bass and dynamics, though it goes on a bit longer than necessary given the lack of development.
I think he was also one of the first people to do this punny name thing, and he came up with one that, though not that creative, is pretty well suited to his style.
Song: 7/10
Name: 7/10

Duran Duran Duran
Drum'n'bass is rubbish. This tries to mix drum'n'bass with glitchy techno. It's still rubbish. And the name was probably amusing down the pub after a few years, but they must be annoyed about getting stuck with it.
Song: 3/10
Name: 3/10

Wevie Stonder
This cut-up stuff was all the rage about ten years ago. Onetime BCB Clique the Earnest Post-Rock Brigade - long-since vanquished in a side battle of the Prog Wars, and now mostly departed - used to listen to it. Nobody else did. Because it was mostly shite.
The name is also shite. They've taken the basic "switch the initials" idea without doing it in a funny or clever way.
Song: 2/10
Name: 2/10

Gringo Star
See this is how to do the name puns: simple, but with a meaning that tells you something about the artist. Or at least I thought it did, as the name "Gringo Star" suggested some kind of Latino counterculture maverick, a flamboyant genrehopping singer-songwriter-producer-model-actor type, like Beck but way cooler.
Instead it's stodgy indie circa 2003.
Name: 8/10

Kylie Minoise
OK I get from the name that you do "noise" stuff. But why bring Kyle into it? What's the point? It's not even a good pun.
I find it hard to judge this kind of music. I can dig some of the more abstract and challenging end of IDM, I can get with Tim Hecker or Fennesz, I appreciate the beauty and fascination of sound, but this is too out-there for me. I don't really know what people get out of ninety seconds of white noise followed by ten of a badly-recorded loop of a simple riff.
Song: 1/10
Name: 1/10

John Cougar Concentration Camp
I'm sure the name is quite offensive really, but I find it quite amusing and it's more imaginative than most of the others. The song is badly-sung neo-punk of the sort I might have listened to for a week or so when I was 15 and a friend had bought the album, then quietly forgotten.
Name: 7/10

Heorge Garrison
Reasonable skittery IDM effort with acid bass. Listenable if not exactly mindblowing. Nice spooky breakdown in the middle. The name is another half-arsed initial switch.
Song: 6/10
Name: 3/10

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Mar 2018, 20:41

I actually really like that Wevie Stonder album, it's half-arsed, crap, and puerile, but there are bits which crack me up for some reason. The over-the-top DJ voice on "Glidstep" is a killer. Not the sort of thing you'd sit down to and contemplate in a sober fashion, mind.

The thing that gets me about a lot of this initial-switching malarky is that a lot of the 'artists' seem to be coming from the breakcore scene, where you know 90% of the people are complete chancers. And they seem to run with that, it's almost like they're trying to emphasise how half-arsed and shitty they really are, they're reclaiming chancer-dom for themselves. Which I guess is positive...

Joy Orbison and Joanna Gruesome are clearly the better acts out of all that lot though. I've nearly bought something from either quite frequently, before ultimately being put off by the name.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 Mar 2018, 22:13

Ringo Deathstarr

Give a shit or be a shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Mar 2018, 22:52

what's in a name?
I'm not in the mood to watch videos so I voted strictly by name appeal.
Duran Duran Duran & John Cougar Concentration Camp.
uggy poopy doody.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Mar 2018, 21:40

In the newly discovered and might actually be quite good camp, we have Lana Del Rabies

https://deathbombarc.bandcamp.com/album/shadow-world

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 22 Mar 2018, 21:54

Making fun of JCM's name was maybe a bit played by the time that group appeared.

Butt-head: This dude dances like John Cougar Mallomar. Beavis: Yeah. But he doesn't suck as much. Butt-head: Yeah. John Cougar Melon Balls really sucks! Beavis: Yeah. John Cougar Military Camp.

Return to “Yakety Yak”