new Daltrey solo

Do talk back
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: new Daltrey solo

Postby The Slider » 03 Jun 2018, 16:29

Its a dreary old thing, isn't it?

I was surprised by the album he made with Wilko.
While not exactly 'good' it is a lot less poor than it had any right to be
Jethro Tull Reduxed Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jun 2018, 14:28

I'm really surprised you don't get more rock stars just retiring, especially the rich ones. I'm surprised more aren't like George Harrison in the 80s -deciding he'd rather be gardening and following Formula One around. I mean there's so many things they could be doing with their time. I vaguely get it for creative types like Townsend, for him his whole identity is bound up with songwriting and being creative ( whether he writes good songs or not now is kind of irrelevant). But Daltrey or Jagger? I mean what's the point? They obviously can't live without the attention.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jun 2018, 14:33

The Modernist wrote:I'm really surprised you don't get more rock stars just retiring, especially the rich ones. I'm surprised more aren't like George Harrison in the 80s -deciding he'd rather be gardening and following Formula One around. I mean there's so many things they could be doing with their time. I vaguely get it for creative types like Townsend, for him his whole identity is bound up with songwriting and being creative ( whether he writes good songs or not now is kind of irrelevant). But Daltrey or Jagger? I mean what's the point? They obviously can't live without the attention.

Daltrey may have a lifestyle that requires him to continue working....with zero songwriting credits, his only source of income is performance. I remember Townshend saying that he only agreed to one of the comebacks tours (may have been 89?)because Entwistle (who did at least receive some songwriting royalties) was flat broke (of course, that's a relative scale). He was handed a cheque for £3 million (I think) and was back three years later, asking again.

However - that doesn't excuse this pile of shit record in any way, obviously.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.