C
Robust

Coverdale Deep Purple

Postby C » 15 Mar 2018, 17:09

A move towards soul and funk....

Burn
Stormbringer
Come Taste the Band

Okay, whilst present, there is minimal influence of soul and funk on Burn but views and votes on the other two (they are both robust)

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

WG Kaspar

Re: Coverdale Deep Purple

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Mar 2018, 17:30

They are both irredeemable. Especially Stormbringer. Very few albums have disappointed me as much.
I run out of talent

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Mar 2018, 17:40

WG Kaspar wrote:They are both irredeemable. Especially Stormbringer. Very few albums have disappointed me as much.

Stormbringer is excellent.Title track, Hold On, Lady Double Dealer, Soldier of Fortune all great.
Certainly a departure, but when the old band collapsed this is a bold re-invention. Love it.
Bless the weather.......Image

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Mar 2018, 17:50

andymacandy wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:They are both irredeemable. Especially Stormbringer. Very few albums have disappointed me as much.

Stormbringer is excellent.Title track, Hold On, Lady Double Dealer, Soldier of Fortune all great.
Certainly a departure, but when the old band collapsed this is a bold re-invention. Love it.

The title track is OK and Soldier of Fortune is good. The rest no thanks. It sounds like the shadow of a once great band.
I run out of talent

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 15 Mar 2018, 17:55

WG Kaspar wrote: It sounds like the shadow of a once great band.

It isn't Mark II Purple, but that had gone. Its a great new band. Fresh and different, at the time.
The keyboards sound a bit dated now, where maybe Purple MkII (in general) have stood the test of time better, but Im old, and dont really care!
Bless the weather.......Image

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Mar 2018, 18:01

I don;t like CTTB much at all
And Stormbringer was a dip from Burn, but I still think it's a solid 7
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Mar 2018, 23:01

Burn is excellent.
Stormbringer still has some good stuff on it, but is a lesser album.

I don't really know Come Taste the Band. Come to think of it, it's the only DP LP from that era I don't own.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Mar 2018, 23:06

Matt Wilson wrote:Burn I don't really know Come Taste the Band. Come to think of it, it's the only DP LP from that era I don't own.

It is very good

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 16 Mar 2018, 01:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Burn is excellent.

I don't really know Come Taste the Band. Come to think of it, it's the only DP LP from that era I don't own.

I think Come Taste The Band is almost as good as Burn. Very different albums though, obviously.

I believe there were two albums that came out under the Deep Purple name that Jon Lord didn't consider to be Deep Purple albums. They were Slaves and Masters and Come Taste The Band. He thought Come Taste The Band was a very good album, just that it shouldn't have come out as a DP album.

I love Tommy Bolin's guitar playing, and although he was a big fan of funk and you'd think the combination of him and Glenn Hughes would have taken Deep Purple over the funk cliff after Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band actually has less funk than Stormbringer. Gettin' Tighter is probably my favorite funk-rock song ever - it just shreds. You Keep On Moving is an all-time classic. There are one or two songs out of the rest that are just average, but overall Come Taste The Band is a much, much better album than Stormbringer.

Stormbringer is half of a great album. The title track, Gypsy, Lady Double Dealer and Soldier Of Fortune are all fantastic. If they had come up with 4 more songs that good Stormbringer would give Burn a run for its' money. Unfortunately, the rest of Stormbringer is, in my humble opinion, the worst half of an album Deep Purple ever made. Putrid.

I'd recommend picking up Come Taste The Band.

P.S. Ian Paice is a monster all over it, and he singled out his performance on "Dealer" as one of his recorded favorites from the whole catalog.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Mar 2018, 07:20

Nancy wrote:

I think Come Taste The Band is almost as good as Burn. Very different albums though, obviously.

I believe there were two albums that came out under the Deep Purple name that Jon Lord didn't consider to be Deep Purple albums. They were Slaves and Masters and Come Taste The Band. He thought Come Taste The Band was a very good album, just that it shouldn't have come out as a DP album.

I love Tommy Bolin's guitar playing, and although he was a big fan of funk and you'd think the combination of him and Glenn Hughes would have taken Deep Purple over the funk cliff after Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band actually has less funk than Stormbringer. Gettin' Tighter is probably my favorite funk-rock song ever - it just shreds. You Keep On Moving is an all-time classic. There are one or two songs out of the rest that are just average, but overall Come Taste The Band is a much, much better album than Stormbringer.

Stormbringer is half of a great album. The title track, Gypsy, Lady Double Dealer and Soldier Of Fortune are all fantastic. If they had come up with 4 more songs that good Stormbringer would give Burn a run for its' money. Unfortunately, the rest of Stormbringer is, in my humble opinion, the worst half of an album Deep Purple ever made. Putrid.

P.S. Ian Paice is a monster all over it, and he singled out his performance on "Dealer" as one of his recorded favorites from the whole catalog.

Cheers for this. I never really followed Deep Purple after Who Do We Think We Are?, so it will be interesting to go back and take a listen now.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Mar 2018, 09:31

soundchaser wrote:
Nancy wrote:

Cheers for this. I never really followed Deep Purple after Who Do We Think We Are?, so it will be interesting to go back and take a listen now.

Come Taste the Band is excellent - I bought it when it came out and I was a bit taken back by the more funky direction that DP had taken. That was short-lived. As Reap eloquently states there are very strong tracks. I love them all.

Sadly, when I saw Purple with Bolin in 1976 (Gentle Giant were supporting) he was below par - a few months later and he was dead

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Mar 2018, 09:50

CTTB is great. I think it's the only DP album I still own.
Bolin was marvellous
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Mar 2018, 10:58

Fonz wrote:CTTB is great. I think it's the only DP album I still own.
Bolin was marvellous

I’m going to stream it now.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Mar 2018, 11:07

Two tracks in and very good so far. Good rockin’ this morning!

The singer and guitarist had a twist to the classic Purple sound.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Mar 2018, 11:25

This album sounds more Whitesnake than Deep Purple, but it’s a fun listen.

And Ian Paice...what a drummer!

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 Mar 2018, 17:04

C wrote: I saw Purple with Bolin in 1976 (Gentle Giant were supporting) he was below par - a few months later and he was dead

Shame they didn't wait to record the album after that
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Mar 2018, 00:31

soundchaser wrote:And Ian Paice...what a drummer!

Isn't he just

Return to “Yakety Yak”