Blue Valentine
18%
Heartattack and Vine
15%

Total votes: 39

Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Asylum Years

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Jul 2018, 17:07

He’s not a fraud. Too much obvious songcraft for that. Plus - his step into the shed was legitimately thrilling in its moment. Synthesizing all of those influences into something new was...new. It just left him pushed into an artistic corner.

I’m with you in that I prefer the emotional directness of the first few albums. But that doesn’t completely invalidate what came after. It just makes all of it a bit less satisfying.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2018, 18:43

I love his stuff straight across the board (de-flavorized vocals and all)

“Black rider” is the only one that really left me scratching my head but, in the long run, I suppose my head was itchy and needed the scratching.

I’ve probably said this before but I think his longplayers from Island on, are remarkably well sequenced collections. A clattering clunky junkyard song is followed by a tale of breathtaking beauty. If he’s a fraud then he’s a con man. He’s conned me time and again. Each and every collection has at least one song of remarkable power and beauty even with that weatherized voice.

I think he’s a national treasure.
Last edited by Sneelock on 15 Jul 2018, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2018, 18:45

I took the last two.
uggy poopy doody.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 16 Jul 2018, 00:00

I picked HOSN and SC, both brimming with prime Waits. I don’t have Foreign Affairs but the rest all have something to recommend them by - I also dig the “transitional” nature of the latter two, particularly H&V. I’ve come to like a lot of the pots and pans stuff - the mid 80s acknowledged classics of course but also the later, harder to acclimatise to things. It’s not everyday listening and it’s most likely ersatz but that whole hard boiled hobo schtick still works for me.

Top three from these,today:Heart Of Saturday Night, Christmas Card From A Hooker..., Heartattack and Vine. Maybe.

Return to “Yakety Yak”