10cc - am I missing anything....?

Do talk back
Rayge

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Rayge » 10 Mar 2018, 11:50

I was a huge fan at the time as they were such a refreshing antidote to all that vile prog nonsense (sorry C, I know it's your thread, but I hated it then and disdain it still, and this was a huge factor in my seeking out bands with a proper pop nous), and their pasticheur nods to great song-writing teams of the 1950s and ’60s, but then they got pretentious and/or a bit silly and proggy. None of the later albums really stand up. Of course, I'm Not in Love was clever, and different, but I heard it enough to last a lifetime, and for all its quality, it's not a patch for entertainment on Rubber Bullets, Donna, Johnny Don't Do It and The Dean and I. People talk about the great hits album that could have been, but basically all you need is the first album, which has all the best singles on it, and, as far as I recall (yes, too lazy to look up the track list) no total duds such as Dreadlock Holiday, Life is a Minestrone or Oh Effendi. I got off the bus after The Original Soundtrack, which was a poor effort in my view, and have heard nothing later.
I saw them at the uni in the early 70s, and, for all their rep as basically studio mavens, they really were a crack live band, with a great sense of dynamics.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Mar 2018, 15:29

The debut is a pure pop masterpiece. A real gem. Sheet music is fine, but politically dubious. Some cracking tunes though. After that it is all a bit clever clever. I saw them on the Original Soundtrack tour and they were great. I am not sure those later albums really stand the test of time very well.
You don't like me...do you?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2018, 18:14

Diamond Dog wrote:They never really resolved the inner band conflicts around having two very distinct and rigid songwriting partnerships, which led to both insisting on their fair share of music on albums, and released as singles. Which meant that at least half of virtually every album was self indulgent 'filler' to placate both sides of the equation.

Not true! They did tend to write in pairs, but it wasn't rigid. They all say that Sheet Music, which is the only album to feature every permutation of four writers writing with another, was the happiest time. Even on How Dare You, there was quite a bit of collaboration beyond just Godley/Creme or Stewart/Gouldman.

Self-indulgent -- well, you aren't wrong there!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2018, 08:53

Okay - pretty fucking rigid! :D There were very clearly two songwriting partnerships - naturally there will be collaboration in the studio, I concede, but they (as far as I know) very, very rarely sat down to actually write outside of those teams.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 Mar 2018, 09:46

"Every member of 10cc was a multi-instrumentalist, singer, writer and producer, and the writing teams frequently switched partners, so that Godley/Gouldman or Creme/Stewart compositions were not uncommon. "

How Dare You
How Dare You - Creme Godley
Lazy WWays - Creme Stewart
I wanna rule the world - Creme Godley Gouldman
Im mandy Fly me - Stewart Gouldman Creme
Iceberg - Gouldman Godley
Art For Arts Sake - Stewart Gouldman
Rock 'n Roll Lullaby - Gouldman Stewart
Head room - Godley Creme
Don't Han up - Godley Creme

Sheet Music
The Wall Street Shuffle - Stewart Gouldman
The Worst band in the world - Creme Gouldman
Hotel - Godley Creme
Old Wild Men - Godley Creme
Clockwork creep - Godley Creme
Silly Love - Creme Stewart
Somewhere In Hollywood - Godley Creme
Baron Samedi - Stewart Gouldman
The Sacro-Iliac - Godley Gouldman
Oh Effendi - Stewart Godley

10 CC
Rubber Bullets - Godley Creme Gouldman
Donna - Godley Creme
Johnny, don't do it - Godley Creme Gouldman
Speed Kills - Stewart Godley Creme Gouldman
The Dean and I - Godley Creme
Ships don't disappear (do they?) - Gouldman Stweart
The Hospital Song - Godley Creme
Fresh Air for my mama - Godley Creme Stewart
Headline Hustler - Gouldman Stewart

The Original Soundtrack
Une Nuit a Paris: One Night in Paris - Creme Godley
I'm Not in Love - Gouldman-Stewart
Blackmail - Gouldman Stewart
The Second Sitting For the Last Supper - Creme Godley Gouldman Stewart
Brand New Day - Creme Godley
Flying Junk - Gouldman Stewart
Life Is a Minestrone - Creme Stewart
The Film of My Love - Creme Godley
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2018, 10:09

But were they written as a partnership, or were they partial songs brought along to the studio and then finished off by the other person? I strongly suspect that latter, but I'm happy to be proven wrong (yes, I am saying I may actually not be right here!).
Cocaine

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Mar 2018, 10:46

Diamond Dog wrote:But were they written as a partnership, or were they partial songs brought along to the studio and then finished off by the other person? I strongly suspect that latter, but I'm happy to be proven wrong (yes, I am saying I may actually not be right here!).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't like me...do you?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Mar 2018, 10:50

Diamond Dog wrote:But were they written as a partnership, or were they partial songs brought along to the studio and then finished off by the other person? I strongly suspect that latter, but I'm happy to be proven wrong (yes, I am saying I may actually not be right here!).

:D you might be saying it this time, but it is often the case! I recall more or less this exact discussion about how Queen wrote songs and allocated credit.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2018, 11:16

Well yeah... :) But you must admit, that Queen setup was particularly bizarre! I mean, it makes no difference who wrote the music, the credit goes to the lyricist? You know, that's just strange!
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 11 Mar 2018, 11:17

Diamond Dog wrote:Well yeah... :) But you must admit, that Queen setup was particularly bizarre! I mean, it makes no difference who wrote the music, the credit goes to the lyricist? You know, that's just strange!

Barmy

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 11 Mar 2018, 12:22

I loved Sheet Music and The Original Soundtrack, but I haven’t played them in years.

If you want to encapsulate everything that was great about 10cc, then look no further than The Dean & I.

Silly Love and The Worst Band In The World, are also favourite songs.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 11 Mar 2018, 12:28

Rayge wrote:I was a huge fan at the time as they were such a refreshing antidote to all that vile prog nonsense (sorry C, I know it's your thread, but I hated it then and disdain it still

Give it a rest mate, you’re getting boring now.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2018, 13:13

soundchaser wrote:
Rayge wrote:I was a huge fan at the time as they were such a refreshing antidote to all that vile prog nonsense (sorry C, I know it's your thread, but I hated it then and disdain it still

So put me ignore. That's where you've been for the past year, on the basis of the tedious fatuity of your posts and your deeply uninteresting taste.

I only opened this because you quoted me - won't make that mistake again. Goodbye for good.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 11 Mar 2018, 13:26

Rayge wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

So put me ignore. That's where you've been for the past year, on the basis of the tedious fatuity of your posts and your deeply uninteresting taste.

I only opened this because you quoted me - won't make that mistake again. Goodbye for good.

Bye.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Mar 2018, 14:48

I understand that they did sit down in various pairs to come up with songs, especially during the early years. I'll try to find quotes. The recent collaboration between Godley and Gouldman was a return to the old way of them sitting down and writing together, even though it hadn't happened as often. (Tracks that have three or more writers I assume were done how you say, with a couple of guys bringing in something and the others adding parts qualifying for a credit.)

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Mar 2018, 14:52

Diamond Dog wrote:Well yeah... :) But you must admit, that Queen setup was particularly bizarre! I mean, it makes no difference who wrote the music, the credit goes to the lyricist? You know, that's just strange!

Can you find that quote again, I would like to read it...?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2018, 15:11

I never posted it originally Jim.... but that was indeed what it said. Oddly, I thought it was you that had posted it!
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Mar 2018, 15:45

Diamond Dog wrote:I never posted it originally Jim.... but that was indeed what it said. Oddly, I thought it was you that had posted it!

http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80266&p=2180666#p2180666
I run out of talent

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Mar 2018, 16:14

Thanks, K! There are definitely such things as Queen demos ("Roger brought in a demo of one of his songs..." or the like), so I imagine it would have been rare for, say, Brian May to write a bunch of music but Freddie to write the lyrics and therefore get the credit. They all contributed ideas to the music anyway. I would guess it was usually the person with the initial idea knows where the song is going and thus writes the words. Hence Freddie's comments, when asked why they didn't all do more solo albums, to the effect that Queen albums are like four guys' solo projects all lined up on the same album -- Freddie's songs, Brien's songs, etc. -- hence less need to do solo albums.

?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 11 Mar 2018, 16:27

I would like to have heard the original side long One Night In Paris: I always liked that one.

Return to “Yakety Yak”