10cc - am I missing anything....?

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49955
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby C » 09 Mar 2018, 23:12

I never could get into them - my loss probably

Am I missing anything?

Views?






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46817
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Quaco » 09 Mar 2018, 23:24

Not really. I love two and a half of their albums, but it's not really essential. Maybe if you were into bubblegum, I'd say you needed to try again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Positive Passion
Posts: 641
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Mar 2018, 23:32

A couple of brilliant songs, some self indulgent stuff, a lot of pastiche, all encapsulated in one album, Original Soundtrack.

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9807
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby slightbreeze » 09 Mar 2018, 23:43

Half of the debut is fine, Sheet Music magnificent, The original soundtrack a great idea that partially worked and one great single "I'm Mandy, fly me" off the next album before Godley and Creme departed and I lost interest.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46817
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2018, 00:03

slightbreeze wrote:Half of the debut is fine, Sheet Music magnificent, The original soundtrack a great idea that partially worked and one great single "I'm Mandy, fly me" off the next album before Godley and Creme departed and I lost interest.

Mostly agree but you may be giving How Dare You short shrift. After all it features the stunning "Don't Hang Up", maybe their best song.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hugh
Posts: 15652
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Hugh » 10 Mar 2018, 01:07

Their albums never grabbed me but a hell of a greatest hits album.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 11885
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Sneelock » 10 Mar 2018, 01:09

Quaco wrote:Mostly agree but you may be giving How Dare You short shrift. After all it features the stunning "Don't Hang Up", maybe their best song.


I heard an interview with Eric Stewart and he agreed with you.
I like those first four a lot. I've given up trying to win anybody over to them but here's what EYE like about them...

four distinct voices who all sing leads yet still have a "group sound"
they dare to be weird.. really weird..
I think all of the first four work "front to back" pretty much with "sheet music" and "soundtrack" doing this especially well.
there's a "Beatle-ish" element. I don't want to overstate it and I think they over rely on this after that first four.
I think the "bubblegum" element is a plus. they made so many damned catchy records for those "Super K" guys that I think they had a real strong sense of effective & striking arrangements. If "rubber bullets" doesn't do anything for you then this is no big deal for you. me, I jumped out of my shoes and socks the first time I heard it.

those first four records are the sound of people who enjoy making records. this is a sound that EYE enjoy.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 17387
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Mar 2018, 01:12

Hugh wrote:Their albums never grabbed me but a hell of a greatest hits album.

Pretty much my view too. Except for Dreadlock Holiday which I hate

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46817
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2018, 01:17

Sneelock wrote:
Quaco wrote:Mostly agree but you may be giving How Dare You short shrift. After all it features the stunning "Don't Hang Up", maybe their best song.


I heard an interview with Eric Stewart and he agreed with you.
I like those first four a lot. I've given up trying to win anybody over to them but here's what EYE like about them...

four distinct voices who all sing leads yet still have a "group sound"
they dare to be weird.. really weird..
I think all of the first four work "front to back" pretty much with "sheet music" and "soundtrack" doing this especially well.
there's a "Beatle-ish" element. I don't want to overstate it and I think they over rely on this after that first four.
I think the "bubblegum" element is a plus. they made so many damned catchy records for those "Super K" guys that I think they had a real strong sense of effective & striking arrangements. If "rubber bullets" doesn't do anything for you then this is no big deal for you. me, I jumped out of my shoes and socks the first time I heard it.

those first four records are the sound of people who enjoy making records. this is a sound that EYE enjoy.

Totally agree. About the "weird" thing, opening an album with "Un Nuit a Paris" is VERY courageous! And wonderful. That plus "I'm Not in Love" is one of the best one-two punches in rock history.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 11885
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Sneelock » 10 Mar 2018, 01:21

I love "blackmail" too making for a solid side one!
I think it's a swell track and that Stewart's solo at the end is the icing on the cake.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16978
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby pcqgod » 10 Mar 2018, 02:30

Only great melodies, great lyrics, great musicianship and surprising artistry.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 4551
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby robertff » 10 Mar 2018, 07:16

Some good albums from Sheet Music through to Bloody Tourists - good but not great. Sheet Music through to How Dare You! are the best of the bunch. Easy on the ear but not something I want to listen to often.



.

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10075
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 10 Mar 2018, 07:29

C wrote:I never could get into them - my loss probably

Am I missing anything?

Views?

.


Well, I love the first four albums and everything that Godley & Creme did
but guess they are not your thing
in the same way Bowie is not your thing.
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Positive Passion
Posts: 641
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Mar 2018, 07:37

When I was 14 I thought i'm mandy was really good. When I was 25 I found it boring.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15270
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Jimbo » 10 Mar 2018, 09:15

My wife knows what the 10CC refers to so they're not fooling anyone.
Gadfly

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6769
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby jimboo » 10 Mar 2018, 09:28

Jimbo wrote:My wife knows what the 10CC refers to so they're not fooling anyone.


10 conspiracy conundrums?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20614
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Jeemo » 10 Mar 2018, 09:45

I watched a recent documentary about them, very interesting guys talking about their process. Only problem was the actual music, did absolutely nothing for me.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66436
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Mar 2018, 10:20

There is a mighty single album "Best Of" if you want to pick very carefully through their catalogue. At their best, they were absolutely sublime (I'm Mandy Fly Me, The Dean And I, Rubber Bullets, Wall Street Shuffle, I'm Not In Love etc) but they were guilty of the most horrible over indulgence and shockingly pretentious nonsense far too often. They never really resolved the inner band conflicts around having two very distinct and rigid songwriting partnerships, which led to both insisting on their fair share of music on albums, and released as singles. Which meant that at least half of virtually every album was self indulgent 'filler' to placate both sides of the equation.

After Godley & Creme left, I have absolutely no time for the band - they disintegrated into lazy, throwaway 'pop' and ( because there was no artistic competition) it showed all too painfully.

Still - at their best - they were quite brilliant.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 10 Mar 2018, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22716
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby never/ever » 10 Mar 2018, 10:39

Strangely enough, I found them more engaging in tongue-in-cheek- and, at times, slapstick pop rather than pretentious nonsense.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

caramba
Posts: 285
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: 10cc - am I missing anything....?

Postby caramba » 10 Mar 2018, 11:14

Jimbo wrote:
My wife knows what the 10CC refers to so they're not fooling anyone.



John Sebastian was 5 to 10 years ahead of them.