46%
TWofM
54%

Total votes: 35

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: SG vs TWotM

Postby naughty boy » 12 Mar 2018, 15:54

The Modernist wrote:Mike Scott's got a pretty strong voice actually, I wouldn't call it limited at all.
I can see both sides here though. There was a time I found it incredibly stirring and anthemic, then it just stopped working on me, I'd heard it too often probably. At that point it started to sound too thin and overdone. It's funny JC is so enthusiastic about it, when I remember he really slagged off 'December' when I posted it once, maybe that one's too subtle for him!

I'm not a big fan of subtlety, G :oops:

and I tend to go for the Big Hit, and not 'they did so much better than this' (which is a line people pull out with almost as much tiresome frequency as 'ask me again tomorrow and it'll be a completely different ten')
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Mar 2018, 16:00

Bent Fabric wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:I'm hearing TWotM for the first time right now.

It's some sort of march, I think.

Drummer: "I'm just going to do this one rhythm in case we end up putting out a 12" extended dance version, ok?"
Producer: "Brilliant."
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Mar 2018, 16:02

You had to be there.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Mar 2018, 16:03

Count Machuki wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:

Drummer: "I'm just going to do this one rhythm in case we end up putting out a 12" extended dance version, ok?"

Doesn't this belong on the 'James Brown' thread?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Mar 2018, 16:09

Count Machuki wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:

"I've had this click track going since about 1982 - it'll save you a lot of hassle when you get to the video."

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 12 Mar 2018, 19:11

yomptepi wrote:It is crass , overblown and obvious.

I don't hate "Whole of the Moon" like you do, but those words seem fair to me, especially the first two.

There's something a little cheap in how he's idealizing this person. If I said to someone, "I wondered, I guessed and I tried /
You just knew," I'd expect her to tell me to go fuck myself.

Another thing great about "September Gurls" is Chilton's voice sounding its most Chiltony. I often find him to be a bit of a vocal chameleon, but this one is full of his personality.

Return to “Yakety Yak”