The Prince Superbowl Halftime Show.

Do talk back
kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: The Prince Superbowl Halftime Show.

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 09 Mar 2018, 14:37

True :lol:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 09 Mar 2018, 14:50

Diamond Dog wrote:It's clearly so much easier to critique a career spanning 35+ years than just to comment on the 12 minutes of a specific show, I'm somewhat confused as to why I didn't name the thread "Give us your career overview of Prince" and not accompany this with an inane picture of the artist.

The big windblown sheet thing at the end with his silhouette on it looked great.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Mar 2018, 15:01

وخز وخز
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 10 Mar 2018, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 09 Mar 2018, 15:06

I'll ignore the frankly unnecessary and childish sideswipes too. Shall we agree to move on?

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 09 Mar 2018, 16:05

I can agree with a lot of what people are saying about his records but I think the guy always had the goods live. I'd watch him on shitty ass talk shows promoting albums that did nothing for me and he would just blow me away. His was a big, big, talent and I think, they probably have soundboard recordings of most of his concert performances, right? I don't think he'll be becoming an obscure character anytime soon.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Mar 2018, 16:13

It was probably good to see in the flesh, but there's an awful lot of guitar wankery going on there. He doesn't have that stultifying dryness live that I associate with his records, but I didn't think the guitar-less tracks really worked in the arena, they're kinda empty, and I didn't like the guitar tracks for being OTT.

I could just say Gash was right, but that's clearly an oxymoron.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 09 Mar 2018, 16:21

Darkness_Fish wrote:It was probably good to see in the flesh, but there's an awful lot of guitar wankery going on there. He doesn't have that stultifying dryness live that I associate with his records, but I didn't think the guitar-less tracks really worked in the arena, they're kinda empty, and I didn't like the guitar tracks for being OTT.

I could just say Gash was right, but that’s he’s clearly an oxymoron.

Charming

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 09 Mar 2018, 17:30

He was amazing guitar player who was so much more than fretboard wankery. (Although I'm obliged to note he must have been influenced by Hendrix as they are both black men who play the guitar.)
Live he was scintillating.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Mar 2018, 18:28

TG wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:But yes, that was easily the best halftime show that I've ever seen.

Everyone forgets Up With People in Super Bowls XIV & XVI. They were like the Grover Cleveland of halftime performers. So uplifting and wholesome.

[email protected] XIV really was spectacular although there are times I think the rawness of their performance in XVI just shades it. Both were fantastic though. Two hairs toward precision vs two hairs to wildness, and I like my Up With People on the WILD Side.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.