yomptepi wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:1. Ramones
2. Sex Pistols
3. Buzzcocks
4. Husker Du
5. Crime

I expected better. :(

Good heavens, why?

I was 3 years old, living with highbrow hippies in San Antonio in 1977. I know nothing of the subject, so I’m not averse to giving the Pistols their due.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2018, 12:30

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:There's always this sort of toilet-y smell with The Damned. Bad music.

Altho' I quite like 'There Ain't No Sanity Clause'

The first album is probably the purest punk album, in reality. They never got close to it again, but that 30 minutes is still incendiary and, in New Rose, they really did nail one of the truly magnificent punk classics.

Blimey!!!

:lol:

The stars must be aligned today.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 12:37

I like The Damned and I think early Damned could bring a chaotic sense of fun to the party, but they were less exciting than their peers because they didn't have so much of the shock of the new. They were closer than the other bands to a more traditional pre-punk mainstream rock (which is why Yomp liked them so much of course) with Sensible straining at the leash to do another guitar solo and Scabies wanting to do his Moon impression.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 12:39

The Modernist wrote:I like The Damned and I think early Damned could bring a chaotic sense of fun to the party, but they were less exciting than their peers because they didn't have so much of the shock of the new. They were closer than the other bands to a more traditional pre-punk mainstream rock (which is why Yomp liked them so much of course) with Sensible straining at the leash to do another guitar solo and Scabies wanting to do his Moon impression.

:D :D :D :D :D

Oh you do make laugh G.
You don't like me...do you?

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Mar 2018, 12:40

Melt-Banana
Rudimentary Peni
Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
The Pogues

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 06 Mar 2018, 12:40

You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2018, 12:42

The Modernist wrote:I like The Damned and I think early Damned could bring a chaotic sense of fun to the party, but they were less exciting than their peers because they didn't have so much of the shock of the new. They were closer than the other bands to a more traditional pre-punk mainstream rock (which is why Yomp liked them so much of course) with Sensible straining at the leash to do another guitar solo and Scabies wanting to do his Moon impression.

Of course, Sensible wasn't playing the guitar in the early Damned days, but I'm sure Brian James will forgive your oversight.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

In the future, in case you're wondering, "Crime, boy I don't know" is where I decided to kick your ass.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 12:53

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.

I doubt you could find anyone north of Watford lucid enough to have an opinion.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 06 Mar 2018, 12:54

:x
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 06 Mar 2018, 13:09

yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.

Jesus. This is why this topic should never be discussed.

"you really had to be there...really going on...relevant as Abba...on the ground...pale imitations...real thing...officially declared it dead..." This is like dialogue from a movie.

It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 13:20

George P. Smackers wrote:
yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.

"you really had to be there...really going on...relevant as Abba...on the ground...pale imitations...real thing...officially declared it dead..." This is like dialogue from a movie.

Do you know who I am?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2018, 13:20

:lol:

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 06 Mar 2018, 13:31

yomptepi wrote:
Cunts.

Do you know who I am?

No. Are you a famous parodist of "you had to be there, man" types?

caramba

Postby caramba » 06 Mar 2018, 13:38

Cunts.

Quickly, everyone while grumpy old Grampy tells us all about the night he went to the 100 Club during the Punk or possibly even the Punic War for about the millionth time.

yomptepi wrote:
Do you know who I am?

Don't delay, children, the sad demented old fucker's eyes are dimming and he seems to be forgetting who he is....
Last edited by caramba on 06 Mar 2018, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Mar 2018, 14:10

That was beautiful.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 14:12

yomptepi wrote:

Do you know who I am?

No. Are you a famous parodist of "you had to be there, man" types?

Yes, but he's more infamous. ;)

caramba

Postby caramba » 06 Mar 2018, 15:18

DP

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 06 Mar 2018, 15:52

George P. Smackers wrote:It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.

Surely there is no such thing as an “authentic experience.” I’d be curious to learn about an inauthentic experience, it sounds like a lot of fun!
Last edited by LeBaron on 06 Mar 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 06 Mar 2018, 16:11

yomptepi wrote:
THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.

I doubt you could find anyone north of Watford lucid enough to have an opinion.

bloody metropolitan elite again
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.