Top five punk bands

Do talk back
User avatar
driftin
Posts: 919
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby driftin » 06 Mar 2018, 12:40

Melt-Banana
Rudimentary Peni
Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
The Pogues

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 06 Mar 2018, 12:40

You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67286
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2018, 12:42

The Modernist wrote:I like The Damned and I think early Damned could bring a chaotic sense of fun to the party, but they were less exciting than their peers because they didn't have so much of the shock of the new. They were closer than the other bands to a more traditional pre-punk mainstream rock (which is why Yomp liked them so much of course) with Sensible straining at the leash to do another guitar solo and Scabies wanting to do his Moon impression.



Of course, Sensible wasn't playing the guitar in the early Damned days, but I'm sure Brian James will forgive your oversight.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35603
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 12:53

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.


I doubt you could find anyone north of Watford lucid enough to have an opinion.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 06 Mar 2018, 12:54

:x
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
George P. Smackers
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 Jun 2017, 23:18

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby George P. Smackers » 06 Mar 2018, 13:09

yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.


Jesus. This is why this topic should never be discussed.

"you really had to be there...really going on...relevant as Abba...on the ground...pale imitations...real thing...officially declared it dead..." This is like dialogue from a movie.

It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35603
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby yomptepi » 06 Mar 2018, 13:20

George P. Smackers wrote:
yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.


Jesus. This is why this topic should never be discussed.

"you really had to be there...really going on...relevant as Abba...on the ground...pale imitations...real thing...officially declared it dead..." This is like dialogue from a movie.

It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.


Do you know who I am?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67286
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2018, 13:20

:lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
George P. Smackers
Posts: 190
Joined: 11 Jun 2017, 23:18

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby George P. Smackers » 06 Mar 2018, 13:31

yomptepi wrote:
George P. Smackers wrote:
yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.


Jesus. This is why this topic should never be discussed.

"you really had to be there...really going on...relevant as Abba...on the ground...pale imitations...real thing...officially declared it dead..." This is like dialogue from a movie.

It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.


Do you know who I am?

No. Are you a famous parodist of "you had to be there, man" types?

caramba
Posts: 475
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby caramba » 06 Mar 2018, 13:38

yomptepi wrote:and I know this sounds elitist and metropolitan, but you really had to be there to know what was really going on. By the time the sex pistols released a record it was about as relevant as Abba. On the ground it was all about the Damned, the Clash ( initially) and the Banshees. Most of the bands in the clubs were pale imitations of the real thing by spring 77. By the middle of 1977 It was all but finished. I officially declared it dead on the day the Clash released Complete control.
Cunts.


Quickly, everyone while grumpy old Grampy tells us all about the night he went to the 100 Club during the Punk or possibly even the Punic War for about the millionth time.


yomptepi wrote:
Do you know who I am?




Don't delay, children, the sad demented old fucker's eyes are dimming and he seems to be forgetting who he is....
Last edited by caramba on 06 Mar 2018, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 1047
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Mar 2018, 14:10

That was beautiful.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12840
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby The Modernist » 06 Mar 2018, 14:12

yomptepi wrote:
George P. Smackers wrote:

Do you know who I am?

No. Are you a famous parodist of "you had to be there, man" types?


Yes, but he's more infamous. ;)

caramba
Posts: 475
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby caramba » 06 Mar 2018, 15:18

DP

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43100
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby LeBaron » 06 Mar 2018, 15:52

George P. Smackers wrote:It makes me never want to have an authentic experience again in my life.


Surely there is no such thing as an “authentic experience.” I’d be curious to learn about an inauthentic experience, it sounds like a lot of fun!
Last edited by LeBaron on 06 Mar 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20804
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Jeemo » 06 Mar 2018, 16:11

yomptepi wrote:
THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.


I doubt you could find anyone north of Watford lucid enough to have an opinion.



bloody metropolitan elite again
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13661
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Rayge » 06 Mar 2018, 16:18

Jeemo wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:You won’t find anyone north of Watford with a good word to say about them. Witless bovver boys.


I doubt you could find anyone north of Watford lucid enough to have an opinion.



bloody metropolitan elite again


Some of us southern softies live in the countryside, donchaknow.
But elite, fair point ;)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12314
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Sneelock » 06 Mar 2018, 18:55

X
Fear
Bad Brains
Buzzcocks
Scratch Acid
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17354
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby pcqgod » 06 Mar 2018, 19:39

Buzzcocks, Hard-Ons, Scratch Acid, FEAR, original Vandals
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby Butch Manly » 06 Mar 2018, 20:13

Jumper K wrote:US or UK?


Them.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26969
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: Top five punk bands

Postby the masked man » 06 Mar 2018, 20:27

I'll play:

Sex Pistols
Ramones
Penetration
Buzzcocks
The Clash

I don't count Siouxsie & the Banshees as, by the time they recorded anything, they were post-punk.