The thread for vaguely interesting hip-hop

Do talk back
Oscar
Northern Taoist

Re: The thread for vaguely interesting hip-hop

Postby Oscar » 02 Mar 2018, 10:09

Good stuff. I've downloaded most of these and they make for an interesting compilation The BCB Vaguely Interesting Hip Hop Komp 8-)

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Mar 2018, 10:26

I like the Billy Woods and P.O.S. from the recent batch. Never got the fuss for Madvillain, though if we're talking about esoteric samples, it's time to drop my usual reference to Curse ov Dialect's sprawling Colossus.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Mar 2018, 11:20

Something a bit older.

quix

Postby quix » 02 Mar 2018, 12:52

By coincidence I’m just watching a documentary featuring interviews with Kool Herc, Coke La Rock, Afrika Bambaaataa, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Hollywood...

But try this.... it’s from 1968.

If that ain’t vaguely interesting then I don’t know what is :D

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 04 Mar 2018, 01:01

I mostly just bump the classics, but when it comes to the newer stuff I really dig Joey Bada$$, The Underachievers & Flatbush Zombies. That new FBZ single "Headstone" has been replayed here at least 30 times since it was released on Feb. 22.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Mar 2018, 15:39

I really dug the No Religion FBZ/Underachievers single. Joey Bada$$ is good as is his oppo CJ Fly.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Mar 2018, 02:27

Here's FBZ's latest:

And one from 3001: A Laced Odyssey

Meechy Darko's flow is nuts. I'd love to hang with that guy.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Mar 2018, 15:47

I don't know if anyone is a Tech N9Yne fan, but his last two albums have been pretty sonically interesting. I was listening to his latest album, Planet, last night while running on the treadmill and thought it might fit this thread.

I like my hip hop more straight ahead and I think Tech N9Yne does a good job of combining experimentation and straight ahead hip hop.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

driftin

Postby driftin » 18 May 2018, 20:09

I've also been really liking this album

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 May 2018, 21:20

driftin wrote:

I've also been really liking this album

Hmm, seems to be very much a Dalek/witch-house thing going on. I reckon there's a good chance that could grow on me.

Btw, completely off-topic for this thread, but have you heard any Lana Del Rabies? I heard something by her a few weeks back, but there was nothing on youtube. I reckon there's something really interesting going on with her stuff, but I can't see anyone else here getting it but you. First new thing I've heard in ages that has really grabbed my attention:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

driftin

Postby driftin » 20 May 2018, 18:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:Btw, completely off-topic for this thread, but have you heard any Lana Del Rabies? I heard something by her a few weeks back, but there was nothing on youtube. I reckon there's something really interesting going on with her stuff, but I can't see anyone else here getting it but you. First new thing I've heard in ages that has really grabbed my attention:

I like this a lot. It's like Pharmakon if she whispered and moaned instead of screamed.

Return to “Yakety Yak”