Favourite ‘Classical’ Music

Do talk back
Fonz

Favourite ‘Classical’ Music

Postby Fonz » 24 Feb 2018, 18:05

‘Visions de l’Amen’
Olivier Messiaen

Over 7 movements iirc there’s a narrative relating to interpretations of ‘Amen’. That makes it sound religious. I can only say that it doesn’t have to be-don’t be put off! Spiritual, definitely. Existential.

Written for 2 pianos, during the war, for himself and his student who became his wife, I think. (Yvonne Loriod)

The first movement is probably my fave piece of European ‘classical’.
It starts with nothing. Apparently random notes appear, like celestial bodies floating around in the ether. Through the addition of more matter the ‘body’ of the music starts to coalesce, into something really glorious.

I think it’s a bit of a masterpiece.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Brickyard Jack

Re: Favourite ‘Classical’ Music

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Feb 2018, 18:07

I have just acquired a Boult doing Vaughan Williams box set.
VW is a genius, and I would pick the London Symphony as my favourite.

joklend

Postby joklend » 24 Feb 2018, 18:30

Four hundred years ago this piece was considered sacred. It was only allowed to be played at the Sistine Chapel at Easter and transcriptions of it were forbidden. Excommunication was threatened for anyone breaking the rule.

A story goes that a 14 year old Mozart heard the piece and was so taken by it that he managed to transcribe it by ear. The authorities were so impressed that they apparently let him off, with the Pope honoring him.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 24 Feb 2018, 21:56

Stravinsky 'The Rite Of Spring' - utterly violent and inspirational stuff.

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 24 Feb 2018, 22:10

Gygory Ligeti
Luigi Nono
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Luc Ferrari
Morton Feldman
Pablo Casals solo Bach Cello suites

joklend

Postby joklend » 24 Feb 2018, 22:30

the masked man wrote:Stravinsky 'The Rite Of Spring' - utterly violent and inspirational stuff.

I love that, pagan anarchy all the way through. Frightening piece of music.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 24 Feb 2018, 23:37

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis / The Lark Ascending

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 24 Feb 2018, 23:44

Mahler 9, Abbado/Berlin

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Feb 2018, 02:34

I'm a real sucker for baroque played on traditional instruments. The viol gives me a boner. So if Jordi Savall is involved, I'm interested.

Having said that, I'm not sure how anyone couldn't find something to love about Bach.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Feb 2018, 16:49

Mozart late symphonies, piano concertos
Vivaldi lute concertos
Haydn London symphony
Telemann triple concertos
Bach Brandenburg concertos
Tchaikovsky ballet suites
Piano and harpsichord music in general.
Generally nothing past the Romantics.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Feb 2018, 17:03

PDQ Bach
Question authority.

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 18:35

Not often heard on a cello, but it moves me to tears

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 25 Feb 2018, 19:02

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra

Pachelbel - Canon in D

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis ( we had both the Pachelbel and the VW at our wedding )

Ravel- Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte

Allegri - Misere

Mozart- Requiem

Tavener- The Lamb ( makes me go all wobbly )
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Feb 2018, 19:07

Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 20:42

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 21:20

Samoan wrote:Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85

Good shout. Heard it played at the Gateshead Sage a couple of years ago.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Feb 2018, 22:40

Polishgirl wrote:
Pachelbel - Canon in D

I could happily go the rest of my life never hearing that again. It's pretty the first 100 times, I guess.

Here's a piece I always campaign for...they call it The Mexican Rite of Spring but I think it's more than just a Stravinsky rip off. It's seldom played out, probably because it has its roots in a movie score, but I think it's an amazing piece.

REVUELTAS - La Noche de los Mayas

AMG wrote:More than just a suite from a film score, La noche de los Mayas (Mayan Night) hurls itself at an audience like a Mexican Rite of Spring. Extravagant sonorities, panoramic scene-painting, and driving rhythms abound in this half-hour work, derived from the soundtrack of a 1939 film of the same name. Comparisons to Stravinsky may not be entirely appropriate, though, for here Revueltas' textures tend to be less complex than was the norm for his own compositions or those of Stravinsky's early maturity. The music is based on fairly limited Indian-type melodies, although Revueltas seems not to be quoting any actual indigenous tunes. In the bulk of his catalog, Revueltas introduced primitivism into music that generally had to do with twentieth century contexts. Here, though, the primitivism is more organic; instead of employing his usual mock-mariachi nationalism, Revueltas takes his inspiration from pre-Columbian Mexico. The scene throughout is nighttime, when the protective sun has withdrawn and left the Mayans to contend with the lively denizens of the underworld.

The work is in four movements. The first, "La noche de los Mayas," establishes a ritualistic ambience by repeating short motifs obsessively. (Revueltas also used this technique in his greatest hit, Sensemaya.) The second, "La noche de Jaranas" (Night of Revelry), is highly typical of the composer's concise tone poems (especially the likes of Alcancías, Caminos, and Janitzio) with its exciting syncopations and irregular cross-rhythms. The battery of native percussion takes over for the climax, after which the fiesta fades into the dawn.

Contrast comes with the mostly contemplative third movement, "La noche de Yucatán." It's the most episodic section of the suite; this may have to do with the music's cinematic origins, but even in his concert works Revueltas made a virtue of short-attention-span forms. The movement begins with a simple drumbeat-accompanied melody; it would be at home in Carlos Chávez's Sinfonía India, which was also based on Indian motifs. But this immediately gives way to an impassioned, lyrical theme for strings. The long, slow melodies that wind through this movement suggest the romance of the jungle, but not without acknowledging the underlying menace of the supernatural forces at large. The stunning finale, "Noche de encantamiento" (Night of Incantation), is an orgy of elemental ritualism in theme-and-variations form. This piece is dominated by four percussion groups of mainly native instruments pounding out increasingly complex rhythms; it even features an obsessive repeated-note solo for the conch shell.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 01 Mar 2018, 02:45

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 01 Mar 2018, 12:23

Count Machuki wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:
Pachelbel - Canon in D

I could happily go the rest of my life never hearing that again. It's pretty the first 100 times, I guess.

Here's a piece I always campaign for...they call it The Mexican Rite of Spring but I think it's more than just a Stravinsky rip off. It's seldom played out, probably because it has its roots in a movie score, but I think it's an amazing piece.

REVUELTAS - La Noche de los Mayas

AMG wrote:More than just a suite from a film score, La noche de los Mayas (Mayan Night) hurls itself at an audience like a Mexican Rite of Spring. Extravagant sonorities, panoramic scene-painting, and driving rhythms abound in this half-hour work, derived from the soundtrack of a 1939 film of the same name. Comparisons to Stravinsky may not be entirely appropriate, though, for here Revueltas' textures tend to be less complex than was the norm for his own compositions or those of Stravinsky's early maturity. The music is based on fairly limited Indian-type melodies, although Revueltas seems not to be quoting any actual indigenous tunes. In the bulk of his catalog, Revueltas introduced primitivism into music that generally had to do with twentieth century contexts. Here, though, the primitivism is more organic; instead of employing his usual mock-mariachi nationalism, Revueltas takes his inspiration from pre-Columbian Mexico. The scene throughout is nighttime, when the protective sun has withdrawn and left the Mayans to contend with the lively denizens of the underworld.

The work is in four movements. The first, "La noche de los Mayas," establishes a ritualistic ambience by repeating short motifs obsessively. (Revueltas also used this technique in his greatest hit, Sensemaya.) The second, "La noche de Jaranas" (Night of Revelry), is highly typical of the composer's concise tone poems (especially the likes of Alcancías, Caminos, and Janitzio) with its exciting syncopations and irregular cross-rhythms. The battery of native percussion takes over for the climax, after which the fiesta fades into the dawn.

Contrast comes with the mostly contemplative third movement, "La noche de Yucatán." It's the most episodic section of the suite; this may have to do with the music's cinematic origins, but even in his concert works Revueltas made a virtue of short-attention-span forms. The movement begins with a simple drumbeat-accompanied melody; it would be at home in Carlos Chávez's Sinfonía India, which was also based on Indian motifs. But this immediately gives way to an impassioned, lyrical theme for strings. The long, slow melodies that wind through this movement suggest the romance of the jungle, but not without acknowledging the underlying menace of the supernatural forces at large. The stunning finale, "Noche de encantamiento" (Night of Incantation), is an orgy of elemental ritualism in theme-and-variations form. This piece is dominated by four percussion groups of mainly native instruments pounding out increasingly complex rhythms; it even features an obsessive repeated-note solo for the conch shell.

Get this one:

I bought it new and sealed for € 5.99.

Gorgeous. My bargain of 2017.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Mar 2018, 15:13

Dudamel is a fucking hero. I'll look out for this, thanks
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Yakety Yak”