Let's all laugh at Damien Allbran

Do talk back
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Let's all laugh at Damien Allbran

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Feb 2018, 09:02

Ignore the tune, what a derivative, mannered art-school wannabe Madchester prick.
Not an original hair on his head.
"Oh, look at my stumbling and wild druggy eyes, I look dead cool like all those northerners, man.
Fucking pointless tosser.

"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Fonz

Re: Let's all laugh at Damien Allbran

Postby Fonz » 22 Feb 2018, 09:26

I agree
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Feb 2018, 09:33

Nikki Gradual wrote:Ignore the tune, what a derivative, mannered art-school wannabe Madchester prick.
Not an original hair on his head.
"Oh, look at my stumbling and wild druggy eyes, I look dead cool like all those northerners, man.
Fucking pointless tosser.

I thought you were going to post his (apparently - I didn't actually watch it but my wife says...) shambolic Brits acceptance speech from last night.

The thing about Blur and the song you posted is that it seemed at the time to be so massively after the fact. The world had moved on from 'baggy'. But then DA was always good at turning up late to the party - witness his hapless electropop/new romantic duo in the mid-80s and also his 'invention' of African music in the noughties.

I used to have this cheap Casio keyboard. One of the built-in music styles/auto rhythms was 'Oriental'. When you hit the button it played a cliched (like that bit in Turning Japanese) oriental riff followed by a gong sound. Imagine my surprise when Albarn was on R4's Today programme talking about his Monkey musical. It seems he relied heavily on that Casio machine for his inspiration.

And people take the bloke seriously! :roll:

It's beyond me!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Feb 2018, 09:39

Hurray!

I'll give him props for seriously supporting some great African artists (Konono No. 1, picked up on them on his recommendation) but indeed, what a cumrag he is.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 22 Feb 2018, 09:45

Pearls before BCB swine.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Feb 2018, 09:54

He is a worthless sack of shit.
You don't like me...do you?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Feb 2018, 10:01

nev harp wrote:Pearls before BCB swine.

Shouldn't that be written underneath your username?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Feb 2018, 10:26

You can dig up early film of any artist looking like a doofus.

Save your ire for dried-up old bores like Fripp. Damon's alright.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Feb 2018, 10:32

Super-Jank wrote:You can dig up early film of any artist looking like a doofus.

Save your ire for dried-up old bores like Fripp. Damon's alright.

You've changed man.
You don't like me...do you?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Feb 2018, 10:34

I don't think so.

I don't really mind Albarn. He's an easy target, a fella who grew up in public. And 'There's No Other Way' is one of the best singles of its time.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Feb 2018, 10:56

A real talent. Lots of great stuff with Blur and one classic album (Parklife) that is one of the greatest records of that period. I’ve not heard his solo material but he’s done good stuff with Gorillaz too. The last Blur album was good too, much better than it had any right to be.

He's greater and more interesting than any number of idiots people gush over on here.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Feb 2018, 11:02

Super-Jank wrote:You can dig up early film of any artist looking like a doofus.

But you can dig up any film of Albarn and he is a doofus.
Even when he is saying the right things, he does it with the same portentous self-importance of Sting or Bono and I think he should be derided just as much as them. Except he makes things even worse by trying to temper it and appear cool via the medium of laddish mockney wankerness. It is all so obviously faux and pretentious and Loaded circa 1995.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 22 Feb 2018, 11:42

Yes, what a ridiculous clip. Certainly a shame that he's never produced anything else in the following decades. Truly this clip is his defining moment and what we should judge him by erternally.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Feb 2018, 12:10

Wasn't Honest Jon's records something to do with him? That's a decent label. I have nothing positive to say about Albarn otherwise.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Feb 2018, 12:15

Carl's Son wrote:Yes, what a ridiculous clip. Certainly a shame that he's never produced anything else in the following decades. Truly this clip is his defining moment and what we should judge him by erternally.

**Anyone got a mop? The sarcasm from Chopping's post is dripping all over the floor**
Last edited by Nikki Gradual on 22 Feb 2018, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Feb 2018, 12:16

That said, I don't think it is harsh to judge someone eternally on the basis of one early clip if they have done nothing subsequently to suggest that that clip does not perfectly reflect the utter twot that they are and forever will be.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Feb 2018, 12:56

Goat Boy wrote:A real talent. Lots of great stuff with Blur and one classic album (Parklife) that is one of the greatest records of that period. I’ve not heard his solo material but he’s done good stuff with Gorillaz too. The last Blur album was good too, much better than it had any right to be.

He's greater and more interesting than any number of idiots people gush over on here.

Agree.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Feb 2018, 13:10

I was probably more generous to him at the time of that clip/song than I've been at any point since.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Feb 2018, 13:11

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:A real talent. Lots of great stuff with Blur and one classic album (Parklife) that is one of the greatest records of that period. I’ve not heard his solo material but he’s done good stuff with Gorillaz too. The last Blur album was good too, much better than it had any right to be.

Agree.

Yes, but you two are being grown up and talking about the music and that is not what this thread is about. It is pure petty hatred and entirely personal. I am sure you could have a Bono is a prick thread without it necessarily impinging on U2s superb music (assuming there is some, I haven't heard any decent stuff myself).

NMB

Postby NMB » 22 Feb 2018, 13:14

The Modernist wrote:

Agree.

So do I. And There's No Other Way is my favourite song of the entire baggy era. I'll take Blur over the Stone Roses any day.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Return to “Yakety Yak”