John Prine

Do talk back
billy
A pound

John Prine

Postby billy » 14 Feb 2018, 19:27

Oh my, I've just reminded myself how much I love him. He had such a great view on life, even at an early age.

The crafty fuck.
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

jimboo

Re: John Prine

Postby jimboo » 14 Feb 2018, 19:44

I've already contributed on the fucked up thread !!!

Sam stone is such a great song , it could have been mawkish but he brings such conviction to it. John Prine live is a great record.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Feb 2018, 20:07

I've had a soft spot for this one for a long time.

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2018, 21:27

Here we go again.

I've seen him a few times at Hardly, Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 22:15

There are a lot of attributes you can prize in music. For me, warmth and humanity is perhaps the most important. On that count, Prine is a superstar with very few peers (perhaps Bill Withers, John Sebastian, Nilsson, The Beatles, Everlys, Roy Orbison, Tom T. Hall, Ray Davies, The Beach Boys, Jonathan Richman...a few others). It’s a small club.

It could be argued that his consistency as a songwriter waned after his first decade or so. But what a purple patch.

I go to Prine’s albums for solace when I need the presence of a human being at the center of my music.

I mean...sit with this one for a few minutes and try not to feel something.

“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 14 Feb 2018, 22:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:There are a lot of attributes you can prize in music. For me, warmth and humanity is perhaps the most important. On that count, Prine is a superstar with very few peers (perhaps Bill Withers, John Sebastian, Nilsson, The Beatles, Everlys, Roy Orbison, Tom T. Hall, Ray Davies, The Beach Boys, Jonathan Richman...a few others). It’s a small club.

It could be argued that his consistency as a songwriter waned after his first decade or so. But what a purple patch.

I go to Prine’s albums for solace when I need the presence of a human being at the center of my music.

Very well put, Davey.

I love John Prine.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Yakety Yak”