It Is With Great Regret That I Have To Admit......

Do talk back
mission

Re: It Is With Great Regret That I Have To Admit......

Postby mission » 14 Feb 2018, 00:13

Ranking Ted wrote:I often contend, among friends after a quantity of alcohol has been consumed, that, up to a certain point - say, the mid 90s, any relatively successful act, no matter how generally egregious, has at least one banger to their name. I’m often then clobbered with all manner of beyond the pale dreck that I can sort of make a case for. Perhaps excluding MOR atrocities like Celine Dion. Or Metallica.

I’m also far too jaded to actually rouse enough passion to hate a mediocre/poor rock band. Previous bete noires like Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and Belle & Sebastian, who are still generally worthy of derision but who are now all RT approved (with obvious caveats e.g. Syd era only; pre-Atlantic Crossing, etc).

It was an article of faith for me and my muso mates that even the shittiest local band had at least the beginnings of one good tune.

Performers of other people's material may be a different story but even gloopy schlock.merchants occasionally happen on a decent tune.
Good.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 19:07

The Sun Goes Down - Level 42.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Feb 2018, 08:40

the masked man wrote: And the video for November Rain is utterly hilarious, particularly Slash's 'unplugged on a hilltop' guitar solo....

...outside a tiny Tardis-like church.
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Feb 2018, 08:45

I absolutely adore I Know What I Like by the usually painfully dull Genesis.
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?