Which Absolute Beginners?

Do talk back

Your pick

ver Jam
9
39%
The Dame
14
61%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
nev harp
cultural defective
Posts: 14601
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: on parole

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby nev harp » 13 Feb 2018, 14:16

Are you really suggesting that someone could jump down your throat?

Stupid idiot :roll:
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

User avatar
Super-Jank
hounds people off the board
Posts: 15339
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Super-Jank » 13 Feb 2018, 14:29

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Let this be a warning, kids: when constructing an emotive description of something you love, be sure to use ONLY THE RIGHT WORDS lest the logic brigade jump down your fucking throat.


:)

They’re probably not bad at sorting post and teaching maths, to be fair
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes


Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English


K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 39212
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 13 Feb 2018, 14:31

nev harp wrote:Are you really suggesting that someone could jump down your throat?

Stupid idiot :roll:


Harvey K-Tel wrote:G# C Dm
Let this be a warning, kids:
C A F#
when constructing an emotive description
G# C Dm
of something you love,
C C F# A
be sure to use ONLY THE RIGHT WORDS
G# C Dm
lest the logic brigade jump
B# Am B# F
down your fucking throat.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64712
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Feb 2018, 14:36

I thought you'd embarrassed yourself enough there John, but clearly not.

I asked a genuine question - if nothing else trying to understand your 'relative' antipathy towards Bowie. You know, what drives your dislike of alot of the 'hoopla' on here around him. What musically you find dislikeable about him.

But it's clear from your refusal you didn't actually post with any intention of having a debate. You were just throwing a little bomb in there. You're probably thinking I took the bait - I happen to think I've conducted myself reasonably and only asked for an explanation of your musical views.

But let's face it, you didn't really want to discuss "Absolute Beginners" at all. You just fancied a fight.

Tough. Not with with me matey.
Bruce Springsteen wrote: May the living let us in/Before the dead tear us apart"

User avatar
nev harp
cultural defective
Posts: 14601
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: on parole

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby nev harp » 13 Feb 2018, 14:37

I’m not overreading that.
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

User avatar
K
Posts: 7438
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby K » 13 Feb 2018, 14:38

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
nev harp wrote:Are you really suggesting that someone could jump down your throat?

Stupid idiot :roll:


Harvey K-Tel wrote:G# C Dm
Let this be a warning, kids:
C A F#
when constructing an emotive description
G# C Dm
of something you love,
C C F# A
be sure to use ONLY THE RIGHT WORDS
G# C Dm
lest the logic brigade jump
B# Am B# F
down your fucking throat.


B# is the same as C. GET IT RIGHT YOU FRIGGING IMBECILE!!!!!
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Super-Jank
hounds people off the board
Posts: 15339
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Super-Jank » 13 Feb 2018, 14:39

Diamond Dog wrote:I thought you'd embarrassed yourself enough there John, but clearly not.

I asked a genuine question - if nothing else trying to understand your 'relative' antipathy towards Bowie. You know, what drives your dislike of alot of the 'hoopla' on here around him. What musically you find dislikeable about him.

But it's clear from your refusal you didn't actually post with any intention of having a debate. You were just throwing a little bomb in there. You're probably thinking I took the bait - I happen to think I've conducted myself reasonably and only asked for an explanation of your musical views.

But let's face it, you didn't really want to discuss "Absolute Beginners" at all. You just fancied a fight.

Tough. Not with with me matey.


:lol:

Absolutely incredible. I've embarrassed myself? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh, Pete.
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes


Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English


K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64712
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Feb 2018, 14:40

Fancy answering the question then?
Bruce Springsteen wrote: May the living let us in/Before the dead tear us apart"

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 10445
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2018, 14:43

The whole of the last few pages has been embarrassing to be honest.

User avatar
nev harp
cultural defective
Posts: 14601
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: on parole

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby nev harp » 13 Feb 2018, 14:44

Fuck this, I’ve got a Facebook group to curate.
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30914
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Feb 2018, 14:58

Anyway.....I love Absolute Beginners sweeping romanticism. I think it really captures that initial rush of love and adoration you experience with a new partner beautifully. The vulnerability, the nervousness, the conviction, all that jazz. Great record.
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.


The Slider on Prog Corner wrote:God, you lot are playing some right old shite in here

User avatar
K
Posts: 7438
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby K » 13 Feb 2018, 14:58

The Modernist wrote:The whole of the last few pages has been embarrassing to be honest.

I know you really like John, G, and he can't do much wrong with lots of members here, but he posted in this discussion (and that's what people are having) about overreaching chord changes. DAD asked him about this and he replied by posting some possible chords. I mentioned that the chords weren't particular special. In fact his chords were probably wrong.
Instead of engaging with the discussion he acted like a twat, calls in his buddy Gash, and was insulting.
And still, rather than engage in discussion, he won't. I have mentioned that had he explained himself it could have led to an interesting discussion, but John doesn't like that. He'd rather deflect.


Why we hide from the fact that he's the ultimate BCB troll, I don't know.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
nev harp
cultural defective
Posts: 14601
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: on parole

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby nev harp » 13 Feb 2018, 15:01

K wrote:DAD asked him about this and he replied by posting some possible chords


:lol:
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30914
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Feb 2018, 15:03

I didn't understand the chords thing but I took it more to mean that histrionic Bowie thing where he goes a bit over the top. See also: Wild is the Wind, which Coan hates.
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.


The Slider on Prog Corner wrote:God, you lot are playing some right old shite in here

User avatar
K
Posts: 7438
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby K » 13 Feb 2018, 15:03

He's always been a father figure to me.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
K
Posts: 7438
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby K » 13 Feb 2018, 15:04

Or should I write.

Harvey K-Tel wrote:...be sure to use ONLY THE RIGHT WORDS lest the logic brigade jump down your fucking throat.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 10445
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2018, 15:05

K wrote:
The Modernist wrote:The whole of the last few pages has been embarrassing to be honest.

I know you really like John, G, and he can't do much wrong with lots of members here, but he posted in this discussion (and that's what people are having) about overreaching chord changes. DAD asked him about this and he replied by posting some possible chords. I mentioned that the chords weren't particular special. In fact his chords were probably wrong.
Instead of engaging with the discussion he acted like a twat, calls in his buddy Gash, and was insulting.
And still, rather than engage in discussion, he won't. I have mentioned that had he explained himself it could have led to an interesting discussion, but John doesn't like that. He'd rather deflect.


Why we hide from the fact that he's the ultimate BCB troll, I don't know.


You must know pedantically trying to interrogate him is not going to yield any great insight, so why bother?
I knew what meant. He finds the record too over the top. It's a side of Bowie not everyone likes.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30914
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Feb 2018, 15:05

Image
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.


The Slider on Prog Corner wrote:God, you lot are playing some right old shite in here

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 10445
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2018, 15:06

Goat Boy wrote:I didn't understand the chords thing but I took it more to mean that histrionic Bowie thing where he goes a bit over the top. See also: Wild is the Wind, which Coan hates.


Bingo.

User avatar
K
Posts: 7438
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Which Absolute Beginners?

Postby K » 13 Feb 2018, 15:06

Goat Boy wrote:I didn't understand the chords thing but I took it more to mean that histrionic Bowie thing where he goes a bit over the top. See also: Wild is the Wind, which Coan hates.

And that would have been a worthwhile discussion.
But he didn't say that.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”